Contributor

Accessing a Comcast/Netgear modem router

I have a friend that has a Comcast provided Netgear CG814WG combo modem/wireless router. I have read that the default user name is admin and the password is password. I have also heard from a Comcast tech that the user name is comcast and password is 1234. Which one is the right one?

Also, before I try to secure it. She tells me that when her wireless laptop tries to go on line, that it will knock the wired home computer off line. Any ideas on why that happens.

Thanks.

Regular Problem Solver
jjv124

Re: Accessing a Comcast/Netgear modem router

If it's the one device, the modem and router all in one the correct user name and password is comcast and 1234. 

Second there is no reason if she is connecting wirelessly it should knock her computer off the network as well.  The only possible problem is that she is trying to access the router wirelessly and in doing something to the router's setting she's removing her connection. 

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Accessing a Comcast/Netgear modem router

[ Edited ]

jjv124 wrote:

Second there is no reason if she is connecting wirelessly it should knock her computer off the network as well. 

It could be that it somehow got/is configured to allow only a single DHCP client.

But if that were so, the laptop shouldn't connect at all and the wired machine should remain connected. The first computer that the DHCP server sees gets the IP address. Weird..

To the original poster. Tell your friend to call in to Comcast home networking for support. That is what she is paying the extra monthly fee for.

Message Edited by EG on 04-18-2009 12:08 PM