New Visitor
rayhanania

Accessing my home network remotely -- how do I do it?

I want to access my home network from the road using IE or Chrome ... can I set up my COmcast system to allow me to access the system remotely to check a home security system? I can view the home security system when I am home using wireless and an App but I can't access it using a remote computer outside of my home network

Thanks

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: Accessing my home network remotely -- how do I do it?

Hello,

Here is how my friend has it setup and it works for him.

You need to go into the Comcast router and configure the DMZ. As I recall, the Comcast router's range is 10.0.1.x for their business service. I just did this, I configure the DMZ for 10.0.1.2, then configured the connected router's WAN setting for a static IP address and pointed it to 10.0.1.2 for the IP address and 10.0.1.1 for the Default Gateway and DNS server addresses.

You can try also some free remote services which will allow you to access your home network remotely which I tired and work fairly well and not difficult to set up.

Networking Expert
kevj

Re: Accessing my home network remotely -- how do I do it?

reasd wrote:

Hello,

Here is how my friend has it setup and it works for him.

You need to go into the Comcast router and configure the DMZ. As I recall, the Comcast router's range is 10.0.1.x for their business service. I just did this, I configure the DMZ for 10.0.1.2, then configured the connected router's WAN setting for a static IP address and pointed it to 10.0.1.2 for the IP address and 10.0.1.1 for the Default Gateway and DNS server addresses.

What!!!??? Did the OP mention having business service from Comcast anywhere in his post? I don't see it...and residential accounts use dynamically assigned IPs, so setting your WAN connection on a residential Comcast router to a static IP will break their connection becuase it expects the user to know some critical information that residential users don't get...like their WAN default gateway. The default gateway and DNS are dynamically assigned for residential users (although it is possible to override the  DNS settings).

To the OP...

To access a device inside your home network, you need to set up port forwarding on your router. You will have to let us know which router you have...was it supplied by Comcast, or did you buy it yourself?

The one snag is that you need to know your WAN IP onthe router so that you can configure your App, or point your remote computer to the correct IP and port combination to get through the router. You can get around this snag by using a dynamic DNS service, which maps your WAN IP to a friendly name... http://www.no-ip.com/ is an example (Use Google to search for 'free dynamic DNS' if you don'tlike the looks of no-ip.com). On most of these sites, you get to define a name that you can easily remember, and the DDNS provider maps your WAN IP to the name you set up. Then all you have to do is remember your hostname, and know which port number you use to access your security system.

You will need to know the WAN IP of your router, and have a Dynamic DNS client installed somewhere on your network. Many new routers have the ability to act as DDNS clients, and will update the address record automatically if your WAN IP changes. If yours doesn't, there will be instructions on most DDNS websites on how to install a DDNS client on a computer on your network.

When you are setting up port forwarding in your router, you will have to refer to your security system guide, or seek help from the manufacturer to know which ports to forward.

For assistance with port forwarding, try http://portforward.com/home.htm

Once it is all set up, use a computer or phone that has an IP outside your network (ie if you are using a smartphone, switch off WiFi and allow it to use the connection provided by your phone carrier) and set up your app to point to the name you defined. If you are using a smartphone app provided by the security company, it is probably already set up to use the correct ports, so you will probably just have to put in the host name. If you are using a browser on a PC, you will have to tell it to browse to the port specifically... i.e.  http://<your DDNS Hostname>:<portnumber>

It seems like a daunting task, but it really is pretty simple...let us know how you get on, and post back if you need more help.

---------------------------------------
Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true