New Visitor

Adding a Second Cable Modem

This topic is just being started.

I am adding a second cable modem rather than running network cable, because the additional cable is already there. Like the additional phone line, I don't think there should be any issue with connecting a second modem and connecting to the internet service.
I am putting this out here to get any feedback or issues that people have encountered using this method. Not necessarily the least expensive option, but it should be the least amount of work.

Comments please?
Security Expert
CajunTek

Re: Adding a Second Cable Modem

Well Anon...

The issues:

1) I don't think comcast will let you.

2) It will cost a 2nd full price for HSI if they will..

3) And why in the world is not setting up a router not simple.. (It is you know) and will only be a one time cost for the router (usually less than another cable modem too)
TANSTAAFL!!

Most Valued Poster

Anon1264569,

If running network cable is the only reason you'd rather go with a 2nd modem rather than a router, why not look into wireless routers?
New Visitor

I never said setting a router wasn't simple or that wireless wasn't easy - I have both. It was just a thought for networking an additional floor of the house and getting better than 50% conectivity from the network card.

It seems a bit much to have to pay for additional connection just for adding a modem, but if it's the case. Just another way of pinching your pocket
New Visitor

and just so you know. My equipment is in the basement, family wstuf is on the first floor, and I was setting a secluded space for my wife on the second floor so she could do her schoolwork in a little quiet space.

Thank you though for the quick response.

I never meant to be anon, but just connected to post and...
Networking Expert
Baric

Unless you pay Comcast for a 2nd account, this won't work. Your Comcast HSI account is tied directly to your cable modem. Much better to run ethernet or if that's not practical, go wireless using a wireless router.
New Visitor

Again, thank you for the quick response and I appreciate all the help. It will alleviate the avoided headaches trying to solve connection problems (I mean issues…) I was trying to avoid swapping out routers and re-configuring them - but it will save me some valuable time.
Security Expert
CajunTek

Like I said.. I know that in some areas comcast doesn't allow two modems in a none workplace account.. May not be true in your area.. If you think two accounts/two modems will serve you better and Comcast will allow it.. and your are willing to pay the extra 42+ bucks a month.. then.. happy surfing..
TANSTAAFL!!

New Visitor

I have the same issue. It's an older home and wiring is a major challenge, the cable wiring is there, my wife's company will permit VPN over cable but will not allow the use of wireless router and the company will pay for the account. That said, has anyone dealt with two cable modems in the same home?
New Visitor

see http://forums.comcast.net/thread.jspa?forumID=5&threadID=32615&messageID=388836#388836 which includes a reply from Comcast.
New Visitor

The problem with a wireless network in a multi-story house is that the transmision is flat. It's often difficult to get wireless to work up one floor. Trying to do two would be even more difficult.
Networking Expert
Baric

It's all a matter of antenna orientation. And these days you can get range extenders and high gain antennas right from the manufacturer to help with these kinds of problems.
Most Valued Poster
Most Valued Poster
Me

Yep...I have a WRT54GS in the basement and an excellent signal at a laptop 2 floors up and about 120ft horizontal distance away...and that was out of the box...zero fiddling..;_0
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Heroes aren't born...they volunteer...
Bronze Star Contributor

Wireless (wifi) unless you know how to secure it and have devices that support the latest security protocols is very insecure! You are best off getting a wired router and if you have long runs and don't feel like running lots of cable then try phone line networking.
Networking Expert
Baric

All the modern brand names support WPA and other security features in their wireless routers. Same is true of modern wireless adapters, as long as you stick with the big boys.

Wireless security is just like anything else. You have to take the time and do it, It doesn't do you any good to lock your front door if you leave the window next to it wide open. Same is true of your router. And most wireless routers come with instructions on how to secure them. And of course, those here have us to tell them what needs to be done.
Bronze Star Contributor

If you wanna extend the range of your wifi then get an acesses point and bridge to it or get one of those buffalo Antennas.

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/category-detail.php?categoryid=8
Bronze Star Contributor

For the layperson wpa can be kind of confussing to set up and not all wifi devices out support wpa .. the linksys WUSB12 is a fine example. WEP btw has been cracked, WEP was cracked years ago.
Networking Expert
Baric

No one is recommneding WEP and if you read the hundreds of posts here, you'll see we say that over and over again. Along with not using USB network adapters. You can make your home network as bad as you want, but no one sets out to do that. And saying stay away from wireless just because there is some unsecurable hardware out there is just plain silly. That's like saying don't get a compact car because the Pinto blows up when rear ended.
Message was edited by: Baric
Recognized Contributor
AlisMan

Don't fall in love...because you *may* get hurt.

There is ALWAYS a trade off between security and convienience. If they NEED wireless, then so be it. Wireless can be fairly secure if you take the advice given by Baric and others on this forum.
Most Valued Poster
jenhome

My Cable modem is in the basement, mounted underneath the floor joist in the approximate center of my house. I have a Linksys WR54TG wireless router in the basement hooked up to the cable modem. I run a CAT5e cable to the hub on my second floor where I have my Mac, My Windows PC. my Solaris UNIX box, and my Prnt server hooked in. I have an Airport Express wireless device in my den which is connected to my Stereo for streeaming my iTunes to the sound system. I have Toshiba laptop with wireless and I connect fine from any room in my house, including the second floor and from the furthest corner of my 20x20 deck... Indeed it has even worked in the Hammock on the other side of the deck in my backyard. I can walk anywhere in the house with my WiFi Palm and connect... In otherwords, the router wireless has plenty of power to go up two stories. My Hammock is about 35 feet from the house.. and then its another 20 feet to the router. It all works fine. I think you are making a problem that does not exist
J

Jim
Most Valued Poster
jenhome

Yes, but if you have an older laptop that only has 802.11b then you have no choice. Using a decent 128 bit key will keep the casual out. WEP has been cracked, but they still need to crack my key. I know my neighbors and I don't have any that capable of understanding what it is much less attempt to break it.. .. indeed, I can see three networks from my house which are completely open and unprotected.

WEP is not the best.. but is better than nothing...
Jim
Bronze Star Contributor

I use two cable modems on my account & i dont pay extra or anything comcast knows i have 2 i own a SB4100(for my xbox in my room) & Rent a SB5120(for my pc/gamingpc) works fine.
Networking Expert
Baric

Really? You're getting twice the bandwidth as everyone else for the same price? That hardly seems fair. It's certainly not something anyone else can get.
New Visitor

I am curious how you got the modem to even work without registering it with Comcast to allow connections to it? Fact is, unless its a registered modem, it won't work. Unless you did some sort of hack or cloned it.
Recognized Contributor
AlisMan

You can't "hack" network hardware like that. What would you clone the MAC address to? The same as the other modem? (the only one Comcast allows in your house). I think they might notice the fact that they have 2 modems with the same MAC at the same house. Also, this would cause problems with the modems recieving data, they would not load balence like a Cisco router would.
New Visitor

I've used various flavors of Linux but I haven't had any luck getting my D-Link Air DWL-520 Wireless PCI Adapter(rev.E) to work. Has anyone had success getting this type of NIC to work under Linux?
Recognized Contributor
AlisMan

DmD, slightly off topic?
New Visitor
JamesLindsey624

Connection Expert
EG

Eight year old thread closed.