Visitor

Adding router to existing xfinity router/modem network

Hi,

Our new Xfinity wireless gateway router/modem doesn't have the wireless range our Netgear router has so I need to add that Netgear router to my network.  In reading this forum, I need to put the gateway into bridge mode?  I called Comcast but the rep said they don't do that and aren't trained to do that.  He suggested I use the paid comcast tech support for help.

Can anyone provide a step by step process on how to add my own router to my existing system?

Btw, one option is to go back to how I had it hooked up in the first place but I won't have a wired telephone/voice option.

Thanks!

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Re: Adding router to existing xfinity router/modem network

The people that deal with bridging gateways, can be found on the following number 1-800-363-2416. No charge for that, not sure if they work weekends, though....Good Luck!
Visitor

Thanks for the info.  I called the # and they took care of it in under 5 minutes.  No questions asked.  Love it!

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Good Job! :smileywink:

New Visitor
Bluebaaron

Trying to do same thing....number is now out of service. Any body know new contact?
Regular Contributor

800-comcast. choose problem with internet service. They should do it no problem, if not call back and get another tech.

New Visitor
instaJabe

[ Edited ]

Paraniod wrote:
The people that deal with bridging gateways, can be found on the following number 1-800-363-2416. No charge for that, not sure if they work weekends, though....Good Luck!

Just as a heads up, this number does not work any more, 800-COMCAST will get you to a technician, in my case they had to escalate it to a Tier 2 support which is a fee based support.  $17.84 have your Credit Card ready :manmad:

*Edit* The Xfinity Router MUST be defaulted before the bridge will take.  I suggest doing this before you call the line.  It may save you from having to use the signature support and the standard tech might be able to do it.

Recognized Contributor

bfee wrote:

Hi,

Our new Xfinity wireless gateway router/modem doesn't have the wireless range our Netgear router has so I need to add that Netgear router to my network.  In reading this forum, I need to put the gateway into bridge mode?  I called Comcast but the rep said they don't do that and aren't trained to do that.  He suggested I use the paid comcast tech support for help.

Can anyone provide a step by step process on how to add my own router to my existing system?

Btw, one option is to go back to how I had it hooked up in the first place but I won't have a wired telephone/voice option.

Thanks!

Linksys has an article that explains it all at http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=94&vw=1&articleid=3733.  If you study it, you will find that the bridge mode refers to a wireless connection between two routers, which is not what you want to do.  What you need to do is cascade the two routers.  In this configuration, you can use Ethernet and wireless connections to both routers.  I had Comcast replace my old ARRIS TM702G modem/telephone box, which is upstairs, with an ARRIS TG862G gateway that has a router built-in, and moved my old Linksys router to my home entertainment system downstairs in the den, significantly increasing the connection speed of my iPad and iPhone when in the den. This was only possible because I already had an Ethernet cable between the two locations.  I am using a LAN to LAN connection so that I can move from one location to the other transparently.  All that I had to do was make the network name and network password the same on both routers.  There is no need to change the IP address on your Netgear router due to the 10.0.0.1 IP address for Comcast routers.  All that you need to on your Netgear router is disable DHCP.  I have LAN 1 on my TG862G connected to LAN 1 on my Linksys.

To change the network name and network password on your Comcast gateway, go to 10.0.0.1 with your iternet browser.  Enter admin for the name and password for the password, unless you have changed these.  Next, select "Connection, WiFi".  The first item listed is the name of your "Private WiFi Network".  Click the "Edit" button to change both the network name and network password.  Don't forget to save your settings.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think you can do it on your own. I went to comcast.com and used live chat. Told the rep I wanted my new modem bridged. Rep said you mean you want to use a sidecar modem?. Took about 5 secs to do it and now I am back to my old Cisco modem and home network. One tip though, if the computer you are using is connected WiFi, you will lose them. Just plug your old router cable into one of the ports and it is back to how it used to be. I got the right person by chosing internet and slow speed

Recognized Contributor

What you did is replace the router in a Comcast gateway with your router, right? That's not what I did. I supplemented the rourter in a Comcast gateway with my router.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Technically I replaced their router with mine, have no use for two networks in the house. They turned off the Wi Fi router part and I just plugged the internet cable from my Cisco router in one of ethernet ports on the modem and went back to my old home Wi Fi network. It seems the techs know exactly what you want now and just shoot it a signal, No charge either

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

William_B wrote:

They turned off the Wi Fi router part and I just plugged the internet cable from my Cisco router in one of ethernet ports on the modem and went back to my old home Wi Fi network. 

Which one ? If it is truly in bridge mode only port number one should work. If other ports work then it's not in bridge mode you and are cascading two routing devices and have an undesirable double NAT condition on your home network.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes only port 1 on the Comcast voice/internet modem works. The internet cable of my Cisco router is plugged into port 1 and my computer ethernet cable is plugged into the Cisco router. So I only have one network in the house. Also the WiFi light on the Comcast modem is off. Actually this is probably the wrong place, I did add a router just used my own.

New Visitor
polugreen

[ Edited ]

Correction: looks like 

Hi All,

I was having the same issue. The signal from the gateway was too weak to browse the Internet in the bedrooms, not to mention streaming video. So I connected my old Netgear WNR1000 sitting in the middle of the apartment to the new Comcast's TC8305C with an Ethernet cable and set up an additional wireless network. So far it's been working fine, and I'm finally able to watch Netflix in my bedroom, which is really nice.

Lately, I've been reading about the undesirable "double NAT" effect. Some suggest that turning off DHCP on the secondary router should solve the problem. I tried that, but in my case, it only disrupted the connection, so I had to reset the router to restore the functionality. So basically, all I did was:

1) pull an Ethernet cable from the gateway's Ethernet port 1 to the router's WAN port;

2) reset the router to factory defaults;

3) connect to the router's network from a computer (in my case, it was an unsecured wireless network called NETGEAR);

4) log in (routerlogin.com), change the SSID, and switch the security option from "none" to "WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES)".

The only downside so far is that if I need to print something from my bedroom computer, I first have to switch to the primary wireless network to match my wireless printer's settings. Of course, it would be nice to have all devices in the household connect to a single network, but I don't have the expertise required to turn the secondary router into a "range expander". If any of you guys can offer a solution simple enough for a dummy like myself, it will be greatly appreciated! Otherwise I guess I'll have to live with my "two-network workaround".

Thanks for reading, and have a wonderful day!

New Visitor
polugreen

[ Edited ]

I knew I'd miss something important on the first pass : ) It's LAN-to-LAN setup. After switching the port on the secondary router from WAN to LAN 1, everything seems to be working fine.  

So the latest news is as follows:

Went to the secondary router's settings, changed the SSID & password to match those on the gateway, disabled DHCP, saved... No Internet connection anywhere. Going back to my "two-network workaround". Please kindly advise if you know what I may have done wrong! Thx a million in advance.

Regular Problem Solver

If you live near a Comcast office why don't you just go in and exchange your gateway for an eMTA modem?

Connection Expert
EG

Two year old topic now closed.