Visitor
RockPowder
Accepted Solution

Apple Airport Extreme router

I just purchased an Apple Airport Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi router and I can not get it to work with my Comcast modem. My older Belkin router still works fine. Is there a compatibility issue with the Apple router? Do I need to upgrade my modem? 

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Apple Airport Extreme router

[ Edited ]

Nope, it should work fine.  Did you remember to power cycle your cable modem?  Once it starts talking to a device (like your old Belkin router), it will not talk to any other (like your new Airport) until your reset it.  Which you usually do by removing the power cord on the modem for a few seconds and plugging it back in.  However, ff the cable modem is an EMTA (ie. designed for use with digitial phone service with phone jacks), you have to use the Reset button on the rear of the device.  Press and hold for 5-10 seconds to get these devices to reset since they have internal batteries and pulling the power cord just doesn't cut it ;-)

If the above doesn't work, tell us exactly what cable modem you have.

Visitor
RockPowder

Your recommendation worked. Thanks very much!

New Visitor
PJacobson

Thank you for asking that question!  We have the new mac airport and have been unsure about how it will work with Comcast. Good to know that we will hopefully get faster speed with this mac router.

Networking Expert
Baric

Glad to help.

Almost any router will work, all it needs is an ethernet WAN port and to conform to normal ethernet and TCP/IP standards.  The difference comes in speeds and features in each individual model.

New Visitor
AMW-Minnesota

I am replacing a 802.11b Belkin router with an Apple AirPort Extreme.

I have some problems setting up the AirPort:

The amber light will not stop blinking even though I can access the internet to use IE and get my email.

The Airport Utility does not detect the base station even though the base station appears in the display. 

I turned the AirPort and the Comcast modem on and off several times although I cannot recall if I had them both off at the same time.

I see your recommendation to do a hard reset on the Comcast modem.  Once when I did a hard reset on the Comcast modem, I had to call Comcast tech support to walk me through entering configuration information online for the modem.  Don't want to go through that again if possible.

My question:  is it safe to do the hard reset on the modem without need to reconfigure it online afterwards?

Networking Expert
Baric

Since we have no idea what modem you have, it's hard to say, but generally, a hard reset on a cable modem does NOT require it be re-provisioned, Comcast will simply repush the bootfile to it the next time it connects.

I'm not sure what you mean about the Airport Utility not detecting the Airport Extreme but it is showing up in the utility.  If it's listed, it must have been detected...

The light flashing amber in the front means several different things depending on exact pattern, see the Apple site for exact details.  Most common, no Internet connection because the AEX can't get a DHCP lease on its WAN connection.  Have you properly reset your cable modem?  You don't say what it is, so it's hard to be precise here.  If a regular cable modem simply remove the power cable for a few seconds and let it reboot.  If an EMTA with phone jacks press and hold the Reset button until the modem reboots.

The other common cause is the AEX has detected it needs a firmware upgrade.  In this situtation, the router will work, but you should update the firmware using the Airport Utility.

New Visitor
AMW-Minnesota

The modem is an RCA DHG536C EMTA

I reset the modem and plugged in the AEX but continue to get the blinking amber light.

Despite the blinking amber light, I can connect to the internet successfully.

In the large window of the airport utility this appears:  Airport utility found an Airport Extreme with default settings.

I click the continue button to setup the AEX and a window appears that states: Detecting apple wireless devices.  after it attempts to detect this message appears: An error occurred while trying to access the apple wireless device.  Make sure your network connection is valid and try again.

I keep trying again but the same error message appears. 

It appears that until the airport utility detects the apple wireless device, I cannot configure, do a firmware update or anything else with the AEX.

Networking Expert
Baric

Reseting that EMTA will NOT require it be re-provisioned.  It might take longer for it to fully connect to Comcast (they say up to a 1/2 hour), but my expereince is it's just a few extra seconds.

Exactly how do you have things connected? The AEX's Internet/WAN port (the one with the cicle of dots over it) should be connected to the ethernet port on the RCA.  And your computer should be connected to one of the LAN ports on the AEX.  Further, you computer should NOT be using a static IP, use DHCP until you have the AEX setup like you want.  If you still get the error, then I recommend you reset the AEX to factory defaults.  Here are Apple's own instructions to do that:

If the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule isn't accessible from AirPort Utility, the Factory Default reset can be accomplished by using the reset button.

1. Unplug the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule from power.
  2. Press and hold the reset button with a pen or pencil, then plug the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule back in while continuing to hold the button until you see the light (LED) flash rapidly. This should happen after a few seconds.
  3. Release the button. This will factory default reset the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule.
New Visitor
AMW-Minnesota

Alas, turns out the laptop I'd installed the Airport Utility had a firewall that prevented said Utility from working as intended. 

I installed the Airport Utility on another laptop and my AEX was detected.  After a couple of attempts, I created my network w/secure access and we are off and running. 

So far I've had my laptop, my wife's laptop, our IPAD and a PC workstation connected simultaneously with no problems. 

Thanks for your help!

Alan

Networking Expert
Baric

Software firewalls are evil.  Very evil.

New Visitor
CrimsomCreeper

I also have the latest model Airport exterme and even though I'm on the internet; it set itself as a bridge router.  It shows no Internet connection and no DNS configured.  I have the motorola SB5105 surf model and did power it off and My internet came active, but my router show no internet connection.  What else have you got to resolve?

New Visitor
christensendcd

I had exactly the same issue after I installed new comcast internet & voice modem, so I downloded Airport Utility firmware update at http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1390, then amber light flashing is gone.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

christensendcd wrote:

I had exactly the same issue after I installed new comcast internet & voice modem, so I downloded Airport Utility firmware update at http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1390, then amber light flashing is gone.

If your on a Mac, you should be on 6.3.1, that link you supplied is for a old version.

I'm also locking this thread as it is 2 years old.