New Visitor
jstlouis

Arris Modem Keeps Dropping Wi-Fi Connection!!!!!!

I have a newer Arris TG862G/CT tower modem/wireless router/phone and it keeps dropping my wi-fi connection every couple of hours.  We literally have to power-cycle the modem every couple of hours!

My Upstream 1 & 2 power levels are in nominal range: 44.75 dBmV & 43.25 dBmV.

My Downstreams are also good:

#       Power           SNR

1       5.19dBmV    38.26 dB

2       4.68              37.94

3       4.27              37.94

4       4.62              37.94

5       5.38              39.40

6       4.78              39.40

7       4.60              39.98

8       4.54              38.26

I've had a Tech out TWICE.  First time he said the box wi-fi burnt out and swapped out the tower for a new one.  New tower worked good for two weeks and now it is the new problem.

I've called Comcast SIX TIMES trying to get someone to help me and all I get is 'They're doing upgrades in your area so your service is affected' but my neighbors have no issues. 

When Tech came out AGAIN, he said he couldn't find any issues after power cycling the box.

Can someone, ANYONE please give me some guidance here?  Comcast people aren't helping me AT ALL and if it doesn't get fixed soon, I'm just going to have to switch providers because resetting every couple hours is a HUGE hassle.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

:smileyhappy:

New Visitor
Qozjay

Re: Arris Modem Keeps Dropping Wi-Fi Connection!!!!!!

Seem that the Arris modem is giving a lot of people trouble with their wifi. Good luck calling Comcast tech support, their option menu is very miss leading and usually never guides you to the department that you actually need (highspeed internet tech support). As for a fix for that Arris gateway modem and Im guessing your using the Tg862 model. Its a terrible setup with ancient firmware. You should use a standalone modem for your phone and use a modem with a router, not the combo setups called gateways.

Recap

1. Modem just for telephone

2. Modem for itnernet

3. Router for wifi connection

Comcast tech support 877-550-0793

Connection Expert
EG

Qozjay wrote:

1. Modem just for telephone

2. Modem for itnernet

I agree with not using gateway devices but FWIW, two separate modems do not need to be used for internet and telephone service either. The combo eMTA's that support both internet and telephone service like the Arris TM722 and TM822 perform fine for both. They do not contain a built in router component so you use your own high quality router with them.

New Visitor
Qozjay

I agree with EG, Arris TM722 and TM822 used with your personal router will make you a happy customer, thank you for the quick reply too EG 8)

Visitor
jetboy2k

[ Edited ]

How about the Arris TG852G/CT?

If I get a separate router, any ideas if that one is adequate as just a modem as well?

And as for routers, any recommendations?

Thanks.