New Visitor
imak9lover
Accepted Solution

Arris Modem TM722 vs. Xfinity Wireless Gateway Questions & Advice Needed

Hello,  

I will first explain our existing setup, and then go in to my questions and request for advice.

We are new Xfinity customers as of 8/9/12.  My husband signed us up for the HD Preferred Plus XF Triple Play Package and per our billing, we are paying $7.00/mo. rent for a "D3 Modem".  When the installation technician came to set us up, we were given an Arris TM722.  He then connected It to our our existing home networking setup that has two wireless routers (same ones that were in use with our AT&T DSL service). 

1.  Is it possible to request a swap of the Arris TM722, and get the Xfinity Wireless Gateway device that is rated for our particular Triple Play package?  If so, how do I do that? 

2.  If yes to #1 above,  then we could eliminate the two existing wireless routers (which are older, and of the "g" standard only; and not "n"), correct?

3.  If yes to #1 above, then our invoice would reflect a $7.00 rental charge for a wireless gateway device instead of the "D3 modem" rental charge of $7.00, correct? 

4.  We don't need both the modem and the wireless gateway device, correct?  One or the other is what we need?

5.  Our house is an older, 1970's style ranch, all one story with many rooms and connecting hallways.  From some of the forums and self-help on the Comcast site, it sounds like we may need to put the new Xfinity Wireless Gateway device in bridge mode, and get a newer "n" standard wireless router connected to it, in order to have good signal at the other end of the house?

FYI, we use a newer HP laptop to connect wirelessly.  Just upgraded our 8-year old office/desktop PC to a new HP All-in-1.  Also have a new HP wireless all-in-1 OfficeJet printer to replace our older all-in-1 printer. 

The new All-in-1 desktop pc and printer will be physically connected to the wireless router in the office room on the west end of our house.  We will want to be sure we have wireless access on the east end of the house.  And be sure that we have the best connection speeds and transmissions possible.

Looking forward to your answers, advice!

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Arris Modem TM722 vs. Xfinity Wireless Gateway Questions & Advice Needed

1. Yes, but why would you want to?  The TM722G is a decent D3 cable modem/EMTA, the Comcast Xfinity Wireless Gateways are total junk.

2. If you swapped it yes, but again, I don't recommend it.  The wireless range and performance on the Xfinity gateways is abysmal.  I would recommend you retire the G routers and get a modern, decent wireless N router to use with your existing modem.

3.  It's the same $7/mo charge whether you have an EMTA like the TM722G or an Xfinity Wireless Gateway.  The gateway is an all-in-one device that has a cable modem/EMTA built in as well as the wireless router. 

4. If you keep the TM722G, you also need a wireless router.  I highly recommend you stay far away from the Xfinity Wireless Gateways, they are awful devices.  Get your own wireless router and hook it up to your exsiting modem and you're good to go.

5. Yes, the range on the Xfinity gateways is truly awful.  That said, depending on distance, construction of walls, number of intervening walls, you may still have wireless issues even with a good wireless router.  In these cases, you need to look inot more sophisticated setups, like range extenders, using a satellite wireless access point connected with ethernet to the main router, powerline adapters in place of ethernet, etc.

I would recommend you keep the TM722G, get your own wireless N router and if you need to, get a repeater or extender from the same manufacturer, or better yet extend the wireless router with a satellite wireless access point.

New Visitor
imak9lover

Baric,

Thank you so much for your advice.  I kind of wondered about the "quality" of those gateway devices.  I will do my research and shop for a new router to replace our old ones.  All our devices have the latest network adapters so we should be good to go!

Lori

Bronze Star Contributor
TerriB

[ Edited ]

Baric,

UH OH....I ordered my upgrade  modem on 10/5 on the phone and it was supposed to have arrived no later than last Monday. I asked what model it would be and she said TM722.  I  thought I would check on the shipment and just called and got  really  great rep. She could not find any tracking info so can't find out what happened to it so they are priority shipping another via UPS. WHen I ordered it on 10/5 the rep did not mention the wireless gateway 'option' at all but the rep today voluntarily told me thats what it will be. I don't need the wireless right now but probably will in the future. I  said "thats cool" but had not read your advice here about the wireless gateway being junk until just now or I would have asked only for the modem. You have helped me before and so far I trust your advice. Is it just the wireless function of the gateway the only 'bad'  function of the gateway? We live  kind of out in the country and not in a development with no 'signal' obstacles and  my Kindle  never fails to connect to the free AT&T  WIFI that I got with it so is that an indication that the gateway router will work too?  Despite our location we live in or near many hotspots?

Thanks

Terri

New Visitor
noblsht

I would absolutely agree with your assessment of the wireless gateway, they are total garbage, the signal is weak many features are missing cannot clone Mac addresses and I can't get it to work with my Macintosh, thanks once again Comcast, one step forward two steps back

New Visitor
technoob1

Hi,

My mom foolishly "upgraded" our semi-decent,though old, modem into a Comcast Xfinity Wireless Gateway.  I don't think I'll be able to get her to change it out for a TM722G.  So, my question is this: will your setup of getting an N router still work well with the Comcast Xfinity Wireless Gateway or will I have to do something else.

Some information on our house:

It's main internet usage is across two floors. The house is around 25 years old and is pretty much a dead zone at times.  Though I am fairly sure its not the area but just our house because our neighbors houses are fine.

There until recently was a problem with the power doing something, I can't remember what they said exactly , but it was causing a problem with the internet.  However, that has been fixed and the internet is still poor.  And the Comcast Xfinity Wireless Gateway has a tendency to just lose all functionality for a few hours.  By all I mean both internet and phone.

So what do you suggest I do?  Should I try and get her to switch us to a TM722G or can I get a good fix set up with a N router and our Comcast Xfinity Wireless Gateway?

Thanks for your time.

Networking Expert
Baric

In your situation, I would recommend you get a good wireless router and call the good folks at 800-363-2416 and have them put your gateway into full bridge mode (ie. disable both the wireless and router functions entirely, leaving only the cable modem and EMTA functions active).  Then connect your new router and use it to provide wireless coverage in your house..  Best to place it in some kind of central location nd make sure you have it properly secured with WPA2 and a decent wireless password.  Record your admin and wireless password someplace safe, it's very easy to foget them if you don't use them often.

New Visitor
technoob1

Baric,

Thank you for the advice.  I will get that set up as quickly as I can.  I really hate having bad internet connection speeds.

Connection Expert
EG

FWIW, be advised that we have been seeing posts here lately indicating long wait times at that number. If you can't get through, try sending a private forum message to one these employees;

ComcastLarry: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/4671561
ComcastMattV: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/5011913

Bronze Star Contributor
TerriB

[ Edited ]

I was thinking about the bridge mode thing but swapped the Arris TG862 gateway modem for a Comcast RCA w/o router. I was mad when I found out it was not DOCSIS 3.0 after activating it so swapped for Arris TM722  and I love it. I am blazing at 58M+. I don't need wireless yet in the house and this modem is exactly like the 862 but with no router and I can reach ANY and ALL secure websites unlike with the 862.. I am finally happy. I highly recommend the 722 .

TerriB

Connection Expert
EG

TerriB wrote:

I was thinking about the bridge mode thing but swapped the Arris TG862 gateway modem for a Comcast RCA w/o router. I was mad when I found out it was not DOCSIS 3.0 after activating it so swapped for Arris TM722  and I love it. I am blazing at 58M+. I don't need wireless yet in the house and this modem is exactly like the 862 but with no router and I can reach ANY and ALL secure websites unlike with the 862.. I am finally happy. I highly recommend the 722 .

TerriB

FWIW, that modem the 722g is already a bit older and although it is DOCSIS 3, but it only offers 4x4 multiple bonded channel capability. Why not get an Arris 822g instead which offers a more current 8x4 capability.

Bronze Star Contributor
TerriB

[ Edited ]

The only one Comcast offers  at this time is the TM722. I am not ready to buy my own again yet so had no choice. I had my own Moto Surfboard modem for many years. I could never get up to  new Blast speeds when they would increase it and finally found out it was way past its 'end of life'  so not doing the job speedwise . I thought I was doing a good thing by getting the 862 gateway modem all in one unit even if I did have to go back to renting as I would be ready for wireless in the house. SILLY ME! Down the road I will probably get my own cable/voice modem and add a router.

Connection Expert
EG

No worries . The info was offered as more of a benefit to any and all readers here. :smileyhappy:

Bronze Star Contributor
TerriB

[ Edited ]

EG....any and all info/advice on these modems is wonderful. IF we didn't have these forums and each other to share and help  it would be even harder to deal with issues.

TerriB

Connection Expert
EG

Indeed !!!  :smileycool:

Networking Expert
kevj

New HDTV, but only get PBS Channels