Contributor
actordoc

Arris Modem and Linksys - WRT54G router problems.

Just bought a Linksys WRT54G router to replace the old Linksys BEFW11S4 "b" router (that works).  Could not get any internet connection with the new router and the Arris modem that Comcast provides.  I spent an hour and one half with the Linksys folks and they/we tried EVERYTHING to get it to work.  Turns out that the new router is not "compatible" with the Arris modem...  I called Comcast and they said that this modem does not support the new router and said we'd have to get their own modem/router at $7-$8 bucks a month rental.

any suggestions, or am I stuck?
Connection Expert
EG

Re: Arris Modem and Linksys - WRT54G router problems.

O/k..... This may seem like a silly question..... but I gotta ask.

Did they have you hit the reset button on the Arris Modem after you connected the Router to it ?
Contributor
actordoc

no, they had me power cycle the router (unplug), the modem (unplug) and power down the PC.  Then, power up the Modem, router then PC.  Never hit the "reset" which I believe is the standby button on the front?
Most Valued Poster

[ Edited ]
Other users have been successful setting up a network with the Arris modem and the WRT54G.

Follow these instructions carefully:

Turn everything off – cable modem, router, PC(s) – and let them sit for a few minutes. Since the Arris modem has a battery backup you will need to press and hold its reset button for at least 30 seconds.

The order in which you do the following steps is critical - don't improvise! Turn on the cable modem, and let it come all the way up. Connect the WAN port of the router (the one that’s by itself) to the cable modem, and turn on the router. Wait for the router to come all the way up. Connect your PC to one of the LAN ports on the router (there are usually 4 of them, grouped together), and boot the PC. Repeat for any other hard-wired PCs.

Last, boot up your wireless PC/laptop, and let it find the wireless signal. Once it’s working properly, check the top thread in the Home Networking forum about how to secure the wireless connection and prevent others from stealing your bandwidth.

(Thank You EarlyOut for this great advice!)

Message Edited by nicubird on 11-07-200607:30 PM

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Contributor
actordoc

ok, i see the reset on the back...
Connection Expert
EG

You can't just unplug the Arris Modem to reset it, it has a backup Battery that keeps it active.

You have to use the manual reset button on the back.

And no, it is not the standby button that is used for this purpose.
Connection Expert
EG

Wow Birdie..... I haven't yet caught my breath !!! :smileywink: :smileygrin:
Most Valued Poster

EG wrote:
Wow Birdie..... I haven't yet caught my breath !!! :smileywink: :smileygrin:

Gotta love a plagiarized macro:smileylaugh::smileysilly::smileylaugh:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Contributor
actordoc

thanks.  it was so frustrating to be on the phone with these folks for so long.  as soon as i can, i'll try your advice. 

to be sure... unplug everything, use the reset on the modem (while still unplugged) and then follow the order you recommend.

thanks.
Connection Expert
EG

Birdie ?? :smileymischief: :smileymischief: :smileydevil:
Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]
>>"I called Comcast and they said that this modem does not support the new router and said we'd have to get their own modem/router at $7-$8 bucks a month rental."

I find that to be unconscionable advice, and that the CSR should have said that it is not that that Modem does not support the Router, but that they don't, and won't, support a users personally owned Router, which is the truth.

Message Edited by EG on 11-07-2006 10:29 PM

Contributor
actordoc

got it to work.  now the linksys setup page won't let me enable encryption or MAC filter, is there something I need to turn off/on in order to change these settings? thanks!
Contributor
actordoc

p.s. it also won't let me enable wireless MAC filtering... hmmm
Email Expert

Have you updated the firmware?
Contributor
actordoc

yes, did that as well.

turns out that my browser was loaded with too much cache, had to delete cookies, cache etc. and the website worked.  security settings are set, thanks everyone!
Connection Expert
EG

>>"turns out that my browser was loaded with too much cache, had to delete cookies, cache etc. and the website worked.

Glad you got it resolved, and for what it's worth, that Addy is not a Website on the Internet, it's the Router's built in Web Server.