Regular Visitor

Arris TG852G Bridge Mode

Hi Everyone,

I could use some help / advice on what to do next:

I recently upgraded to a DOCSIS 3 modem to takeadvantage of the faster internet speed.  

They supplied an Arris TG852G (combination modem/router).

I previously used separate components (WNR 3500U RangeMax  Wireless N gigabit router).

After the upgrade to the Arris, I began having problems (the Internet connection goes out many times per day, the wireless signal strength is very weak, laptops drop the connection).

Thanks to the members on this forum, I decided to try to have my modem set to Bridge mode, and go back to using my own router.  I've called the NASR phone number to do this (800-363-2416) this morning.  I have been on hold since 8 AM this morning (it's after 11 now).  The line is connected, hold music plays, "all technicians are currently assisting other customers..." repeats.  If you're wondering, the kids are out of school for the day due to a blown transformer, so I'm home too, and I have a speaker phone.  :- ).  I imagine they must be busy with the storms we had last night, but 3.5 hours on hold seems excessive.

Thanks for bearing with me...  My question is, Is there any other way to have the modem set to bridge mode?

The 800-xfinity call center rep I called on my cell phone after hour 2 on hold said I can pay for a signature support tech to do it.  Is that really necessary, and does anyone know what that costs?

Thanks,

Bart

New Visitor
thabeezer

Re: Arris TG852G Bridge Mode

I'm in the same boat.  I was on hold for 2 hours last night and an hour this morning with nobody answering.

Networking Expert
Baric

No, you do NOT have to pay for signature support, the NASR folks at 800-363-2416 should be able to take care of it.  You might try again, things might have been very busy earlier.  And it should be a BIG red flag to anyone watching that the NASR folks are getting slammed with calls.  The Xfinity Gateways are pure junk.  My advice, call again and if you have the same issue, I would ditch the gateway entirely and buy your own DOCSIS3 cable modem.  If you need an EMTA (ie you have Comcast phone service) then go to Comcast and swap the gateway with an EMTA.

Visitor
DrewBarbs

Did you guys eventually get through to somebody? I've been on hold since 4pm (5:30 pm now), getting that same "all technicians are currently assisting others..." messsage. Just trying to get my Arris TG862 into bridge mode because I've had trouble with Wifi module booting every connection off and refusing to accept new ones after some time has passed from a reset.

Contributor
INeedBridging

I have been on hold now for (4) hours needing the same thing.

Contributor
INeedBridging

I gave up after 4 hours, 20 minutes on hold.  Anybody know if they man this number on weekends?

Connection Expert
EG

Yes they do. I always recommend to posters that they call during regular business hours. But with the way that things are lately, you may have a better chance getting through but you my not get the *creme of the crop* techs.

New Visitor
elpaso

well, I paid for signature support and they could not do it either.  

New Visitor
elpaso

I followed the directions provided by DCREN21 on a seperate post and it worked. I just explained to the tech on the phone and this is what I needed them to do.  the only thing they could not find was the LANDHCP setting, but it worked anyway. I spoke to 10 techs and one signature guy, when I read a tech these directions it worked.  I just called the regular line. 

----------------

Complete Bridge Mode on Arris devices - Accurate

For anyone who is having trouble with the Arris gateway after calling gateway support @ 800-363-2416 you need to have them verify the modem is in full bridge mode. For the Arris devices bridge mode can be enabled in 2 ways. There is a 1 button GUI click method, and there is a way for them to log into the Arris modem management page to enable the bridgemode. Not the Xfinity management page by the way. So if you call in to have it bridged and your wifi light is still on after that, they have done it wrong.

You need to have them go into the Arris management page and then go to Advanced (requires password of the day) --> MSO features --> then

Bridge Mode -- Enabled
Wifi - Disable
LAN DHCP - Disable

then have them reset the modem. If they dont follow those specific steps chances are your modem isnt fully in bridge mode and you may continue to have problems.

New Visitor
Bluis

For the last two days, I have been bounced from department to department and still no-one knows  how to configure their own browsers. Here is a recent interaction with their Xfinity Signature Support?    

Welcome to Xfinity Signature Support

You are now waiting to chat with a Tech Expert.

A Tech Expert has arrived to assist you.

Tech Expert [10/12/2012 7:43 AM]:Hello and thank you for contacting Xfinity Signature Support, your expanded in-home technology support. My name is Anjelo. How may I help you today?

You [10/12/2012 7:44 AM]:I'm interested in having my xfinity gateway configured to bridge mode.

Tech Expert [10/12/2012 7:44 AM]:Thank you for that information. I’m not sure I fully understood the nature of your problem. Here is a list of problems our customers commonly face: 1) You’re having trouble connecting wirelessly to your home network You’re having password issues with your home network. 2) You just got a router or laptop and you’re trying to set it up. 3) Your computer is running very slow and/or you may have a virus. Do any of these apply to you? If not, can you please describe the problem you’re facing in more detail?

You [10/12/2012 7:47 AM]:I need to log into a VPN network which requires the gateway modem to be placed to bridge mode and have a external router handle all the all the NAT'ing.

You [10/12/2012 7:48 AM]:Since XFinity supplied the gateway modem they restrict access to the advance feature settings, which only you guys have access to.

You [10/12/2012 7:49 AM]:This is a basic networking function that a level one support person should be able to handle.

Tech Expert [10/12/2012 7:50 AM]:Is this for wired connection?

You [10/12/2012 7:51 AM]:Yes.

You [10/12/2012 7:51 AM]:I can walk you through the process if you require assistance.

Tech Expert [10/12/2012 7:52 AM]:smileyshocked:ur department is dedicated to advanced home network and home computer support only. So unfortunately, we will not be able to assist you. Please call 1-800-Comcast for a Customer Service agent who’ll be able to direct you to the correct department. You may contact a Customer Care Representative by chat at: https://www.comcastsupport.com/ChatEntry/ Thank you for contacting Xfinity Signature Support and have a great day!

The Tech Expert has been temporarily disconnected.

WOW, their Tech Expert (Anjelo)  just disconnected the chat.....very impressive.

Now, back to the phone and back on hold with their level 1 support.  Love to hear back from someone with any suggestions or direct extensions to someone that can get this done.

Contributor
BrianPe

Same thing happened to me last weekend. I was on hold for 2 hours one time, the next day for 90 minutes. I came to the comcast home page, clicked chat with a tech and they were there the instant I clicked. They said they're able to bridge the router. Total time? Less than 10 minutes.

Contributor

I wish I could get someone to get this working.  I have been on hold waiting for NASR for 5 hours (While doing other things).  I have had 3 "Chat" sessions, and called 4 regular techs.  Now, the WiFi light is off, but that doesn't solve the problem my router is still getting a 10.0.0.2 address from the Arris.  I wish there was an easy way to do this - I may just swap my equipment - this is ridiculous.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Yes you could try to get it swapped, or you could try signing up to Comcast Direct and leave a post for ComcastSteve. I'm sure he could get it done, may take a day or two though.

Sounds like they just switched off your wireless....:smileysad:

New Visitor
Whiteknight55

This is so frustrating.  After 4 chats and three phone calls to standard Comcast support, I'm no further along than I was five hours ago.  Repeated calls to the 2416 number go to a brief hold, then a message saying that they can't take my call and I should call back in 15 minutes.

Contributor

I worked with @comcaststeve - He couldn't get the settings to stick.  I swapped out my Modem for a DOCSIS 3.0 with voice, but without WiFi - No routing so no bridging needed.

New Visitor
scion676

Which model device did they give you?  I may go that route since the techs are claiming bridging is enabled and I'm still having issues with my ASUS router behind it.

Regular Contributor
InternetGuy

The correct answer is to call Comcast and have a tech come out and swap your wireless gateway for a plain MTA like an Arris 702 or 722.

Connection Expert
EG

I don't know if "correct" is the proper word here but it is indeed another *option* !

Contributor

They set me up with the  Ubee DVM3203B.  No issues thus far.

New Visitor
mikebourt

Look me three chats and the third knew what he was doing.

Basically,

Bridge mode: enable

LAN DHCP: Disable

WiFi: Disable

Took 2 minutes, plus a modem reset.

New Visitor
stanely

I found a solution after lots of time and aggrivation. I am using a MAC OS10.5.8. The Arris gateway worked most of the time but I wasn't able to get on Bank America's sites for online banking. I tried the same phone number and never got through after endless hours of trying.

Go to comcast 

http://customer.comcast.com/contact-us/

hit the CHAT button. When support comes on tell them you want to change to bridged mode because of ongoing problems/ connectivity issues with your MAC. They can and will remotely switch you over . Took 10  

minutes. You should have your "other" router ready to go because you will be immediately be disconnected

after change over. I used my wireless Linksys E1200 and just turned airport on. Really a snap. BTW works perfectly now.

Contributor

Glad that worked for you - not everyone has had the same experience.

Regular Contributor
TEM3

Arris TG852G IP

I just setup and activated an Arris TG852G/CT that was UPS to me from Comcast.  All seems to work ok.  However I would like to access the cable modem's configuration web pages.  Tried 192.168.0.1 and also 10.0.0.1 (and variations of those) with no luck.  Has Comcast somehow disabled access?

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Re: Arris TG852G IP

[ Edited ]

TEM3 wrote:

Tried 192.168.0.1 and also 10.0.0.1 (and variations of those) with no luck.  Has Comcast somehow disabled access?

That's odd TEM, the router config page is usually 10.0.0.1. You could open a command Prompt and type in ipconfig the default gateway would be the address.

Also if they "bridged" the inbuilt router, there would be no access to the router config pages.

Regular Contributor
TEM3

Very weird.  It would not work last evening but today 10.0.0.1 works fine.  I just changed the password.  Any other settings that should be looked at or changed?

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

You could change the wireless settings to suit you if wish. If you ever forget your settings, you can do a factory reset, by pressing and holding the recessed button on the back for over 15 seconds.

Good Luck!

Regular Contributor
TEM3

Re: Arris TG852G

I did a lot of testing today and the coverage of the wireless on the TG852G sucks worse than the old Thompson cable modem it is replacing.  We have a small two br one floor condo here in Florida.  The router is in the spare bedroom and the lanai is situated a couple walls away.  The signal is too weak to connect on the lanai which is where I want to use my tablet and laptop!

I just ordered a Netgear Universal WN3000RP Wi-Fi Range Extender from Amazon to plug in near the lanai.  Hopefully that will work and help......

New Visitor
Phanein

Don't want to grave-dig but this topic is only two months old so I thought it best to post this here.

I'm another person that has received an extremely postitive response from Comcast Chat. I put in my header that I was having connectivity issues and that I needed them to remotely switch me to Bridge mode. When I introduced myself to my rep I told them that I would do it on my end but I couldn't without the POTD and needed them to remotely do it. The rep was quick to respond, friendly, and got me sorted out with-in five minutes. We had a mutural respect for each others technical expertise.

Connection Expert
JamesR

Glad you had a good experience3:smileycool:

New Visitor
JakobSinclair

See if the Technicolor Gateway(as opposed to Arris) is available for you, if not id go with an Arriss 822 emta(phone and internet) or Motorla 6500ish(i forget the model) modem make sure its D3 and have the Comcast techs come out and check your lines for ingress(interferance). Also check ur modem page 192.168.100.1 and make sure ur downstream rx levels are close to 0dBmV as possible and ur upstream tx levels should be in the 40s higher that 53 dBmV wont work. Signal to Noise rations in both directions should be around 35dB. Go to command promt(run-cmd) and ping a website, anything over 1% packet loss is a problem, id run atleast 1000 packet. Then id go from there...
New Visitor
MicRo13

I just got my Arris bridged.  Took me awhile to get to the right person.  You need to get the customer service rep in India to transfer you to Signature Support.  You do not need to pay extra for this support.  The English speaking tech was able to bridge my unit in under 5 minutes.  I live in the Mountain region and the phone number of the tech was 1-877-480-1344.  Another number given to me was 1-877-443-3606.  The other number given in this thread was no longer in service.  I didn't know about the chat option until now otherwise I would have tried it.  Everything works great now.

Contributor
Milehigh3

I would echo the fact that once I got my TG862 in bridge mode, all my problems vanished... the pain comes from how long it took to actually get there.
New Visitor
AMAINA

What do you mean  "modem reset" ...you reset the modem or comcast reset you modem?

New Visitor

with the gateway reset to bridge mode do you loose download speed?  I have very short range, but i do have 40mb dl and 20mb upload with the gateway.  

I have a netgear router that was working with great range before, but download and upload speed was half what it is now.

Thanks,

R

Visitor
dvalu

Hit my problem right on the head!  A little late, I've been unable to secure my linksys wifi network and been plagued with viruses, trojans,  malware, etc.  for over 7 months.  Had techs in but none addressed the network side.  They all wanted to "clean up" my computer.  I can do that!  Paid for signature service for a few months.....worthless.  forums + chats are the way to go.  Have to be careful with the big boys too.  They flip you off to a third party co. that bouces you from tech to tech and no-one knows what's what.  End up with bigger, more confusing problems.  

New Visitor
hoover_100

Oh thank goodness.  I called technical support, asked for full bridge mode.  Took 6 minutes and everything worked with my existing Netgear Wifi router.

No questions asked, they just did what I asked.  

Much better than the chat forum.