Recognized Contributor
God1hire

Arris TG862 New Firmware released

[ Edited ]

Finally we get the new firmare pushed to this device after waiting so long. They said April but looks like we get it early. Now all we need is a Comcast Employee to confirm the changes made in the update.

Old Firmware: 7.4.63

Packet Cable: 1.5

New Firmware: eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: 7.6.59 Software Image Name: TS070659_121312_MODEL_862_GW_CT Packet Cable: 1.5

EDIT: It looks like IPv6 is now supported on this device and the wifi settings have been upgraded for remote access etc.

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

Your area is serviced by a Cisco CMTS, so at this time it is not ready for Dual-stack yet.  Keep an eye on www.comcast6.net or  http://forums.comcast.com/ for information, once we get the Cisco CMTS's online I will be posting on the forums.

Senior Network Engineer, Comcast
v6 Project
New Visitor
dallaskincaid

I've had horrible wifi ping times and drop outs since this update was pushed today.  I really hope a fix is on the way.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Seems like I am having the same problem as dallaskincaid...

I just installed yesterday a TG862G.

The wireless is horrible. The signal strength is weak where I use my laptop, 0-3 bars. (Belkin.c70 4-5 bars)

Moved TG862G around room where it is installed, even stacked boxes to move it up higher. Did not help.

It kept on dropping connection. So I moved laptop from room where I usually use laptop, next to TG862G. Signal strength good 5 bars.

However it still kept dropping connection. Ping-90+ms, DL-2.3Mbps, UL-1.63Mbps.

My droid razr, 2 other laptops, and a tablet also has horrible connections.

Second time ping it didn't finish upload.

Reconnected Belkin.c70 router, ping-21ms, DL-16.24Mbps, UL-10.91Mbps.

TG862G direct wired to descktop is smoking, ping-9ms, DL-55.64Mbps, UL-11.6Mbps.

Help Please.

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

FYI The new firmware is in soak, national push will be mid-April..  So if you reboot your device you can see if your in the soak area or not.

v6 Project
Recognized Contributor
God1hire

ComcastTuska wrote:

FYI The new firmware is in soak, national push will be mid-April..  So if you reboot your device you can see if your in the soak area or not.

We understand that. Can you get us an official list of the changes implemented, like if this addressed the issues with the XBox 360 slim?

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

God1hire wrote:

ComcastTuska wrote:

We understand that. Can you get us an official list of the changes implemented, like if this addressed the issues with the XBox 360 slim?

Yes the XBox 360 slim issue should have been corrected, along with IPv6 issues.

v6 Project
New Visitor
constantsteve

so, When exactly (like a date preferrably) that this going to take place cause ive waited 2 months so i can play my xbxox 360 online and its driving me nuts..?...

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

Reboot your device and see if you get the upgrade, you may be in the soak area.  If not the nationally deployment will be mid-April.  I will make sure to post when we go national with the code for you..

v6 Project
Contributor
speed053

[ Edited ]

I'm in the Chicago area, does that mean that we will get the latest firmware upgrade in that region? Will the upgrade fixes the internet disconnections, high ping times, slow speeds? I've been suffering so many brief internet disconnections, and third party DNS lookup problems with the Arris TG862. We are still waiting for the confirmation about the fixes for the modem.

Visitor
Ssendol

I have TG862G, but after firmware upgrade wireless connection has lots problem.

Disconnecting Wifi every 1-5min, slow speed.

Any help ?

Contributor

"Reboot your device..."

Does that mean unplugging the device?

If so, doesn't the battery just kick in?

Am I missing something?

Recognized Contributor
God1hire

Anon90349 wrote:

"Reboot your device..."

Does that mean unplugging the device?

If so, doesn't the battery just kick in?

Am I missing something?

Take a pencil or pen and hold down the reset button on the back of the device for atleast 5-10 seconds. That'll reboot the modem for you and if you've gotten the update it'll take up to 10mins to finally come back up.

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

Ssendol wrote:

I have TG862G, but after firmware upgrade wireless connection has lots problem.

Disconnecting Wifi every 1-5min, slow speed.

Any help ?

PM me your cable modem mac, I will forward your info to the team that will check on your WiFi issues..

v6 Project
New Visitor

I should have checked this forum before getting one of these boxes yesterday from the San Jose sevice center.I was seduced by the offer of douubled internet download speeds. 

I don't know why Comcast is giving these out - I'm having the same problems as others in this forum - have to reboot the TG862 frequently to fix slow speeds and dropped connections to the WAP. Plugged my old WAP into one of the ethernet ports to get wireless working again.

In addition, the box I got has no battery - is this now Comcast policy to issue these w/o the battery?

Recognized Contributor
God1hire

[ Edited ]

Yea I'm now getting HUGE packet loss and hang-ups over the WIFI ONLY of  the Arris TG862. I thought the firmware would fix the majority of the wifi problems, but they still seem to be present. Anytime the wifi speed is less than half of what the hardwired ethernet connection, you know there is a problem.

Contributor

Can you all believe the Comcast tech just left after replacing my ARRIS unit with a new one - which, of course, immediately downloaded the "speed" update and now wifi is as bad as the first one.  I warned them - but now he's gone and I'm now back to running off an extra access point just to use wifi.  Comcast, at every level refuses, to listen to themselves or read their own web documents.  They've got a script of Q&A and don't have time for critical thinking skills.

This equipment needs a fix or replacement ASAP.  Someone needs to grab the list of ARRIS users and start getting the fix in motion - can't you undo the speed "update"?

I suppose I have no choice but to leave my spare access point attached until a fix is downloaded.  I don't have any more time to spend convincing Comcast to fix this... along with the time off work to let the guy in.  It was all a waste.  I'm a business owner and I've lost half day of running my business and a few hours of time wasted online chatting  and on the phone trying to get a resolution.

My very stable home internet/wifi was ruined with a "service enhancement" - and I've got several calls, a chat session, a complaint to Corporate, and a home service call - all they have done is taken me no where but angrier and more disappointed than ever.

The Xfinity email said "Enjoy your new internet speeds" - well... I'm not enjoying this at all.

Contributor

"Take a pencil or pen and hold down the reset button on the back of the device for atleast 5-10 seconds. That'll reboot the modem for you and if you've gotten the update it'll take up to 10mins to finally come back up.'"

I did this before I left for work this morning.

Did not work, seems like the wireless connection is worse. Laptop would not connect at first, then connected, then lost connection.

This is taking a huge ammount of my time dealing with this POS.

New Visitor
TracyPierce

I have been having wireless only issues all evening.  When I called in they mentioned an update but acted like it wouldnt be causing my problems.  I am still having problems with slow speeds and my connection dropping randomly.  My wife is in graduate school taking online classes.  Any suggestions on what I need to do to get things going again?

Visitor
Ssendol

I believe everyone have been firmware update, has wireless problem.

Wired network may OK.

I attached old Netgear Router in modem. Not fancy but work.

Until now, this is only solution what I know.

New Visitor
aplspirals

To The Comcast Powers That Be,

Another user whose wi-fi has been reduced to snail's pace!!

TG862 with latest firmware, wired connections working well, wireless 'alive' but uselessly slow.

_Very_ much looking forward to a firmware patch to fix this big problem asap.

Regards

aplspirals

San Carlos CA 94070

Recognized Contributor
God1hire

At this point all the Upgrade Team needs to do is extensive diagnostic fixing the wireless issues. Test the wireless thoroughput from different access points and also find out why people are losing connections so frequent and often. This thing is almost there, just a few more hits of the hammer and I think we'll have it working lol.

Recognized Contributor
God1hire

[ Edited ]

"Comcast has rolled back this code, please reboot (reset) your device and you will get the old code version.. 7.4.63A"

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28140532-Arris-TG862-New-Firmware-released

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

God1hire wrote:

"Comcast has rolled back this code, please reboot (reset) your device and you will get the old code version.. 7.4.63A"

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28140532-Arris-TG862-New-Firmware-released

Thank you I posted that on dslreports and on the comcast forum..  But I must have used the wrong post.  This post is correct, the new code was rolled back today due to customer issues with WiFi.  Once I get updates on new code and such I will post it in both places again.

v6 Project
Contributor

I woke up this morning and thought the only thing I haven't tried was a 60-second reset, what the heck... you can't break something that's already failed.

I wasn't surprised when it started downloading a firmware update - I figured that "double-speed" code was being put back on.  Then after the dust settled I got suspicious when it "just worked".  Yeah, what's up with this thing suddenly "just working?"

So I view the software levels and notice the older version is on the gizmo - then came here to put the puzzle into perspective.  All I can say is THANK YOU to which ever network engineer or team that decided that enough was enough - and to push out a fix.

Now I ask, when will the other 99% of ARRIS TG862 users get an email suggesting they reset their box again?  The majority of these folks are likely just dealing with flaky connectivity because they just don't have the time or knowledge to do the research. Remember, this all started by Comcast telling us to reset for "service enhancement" - we didn't ask to screw up working gateways... We were told to.  Since batteries are not included anymore, anyone without Comcast Voice who resisted the update but suffered a power loss ended up having equipment failing anyway upon restart.

Can Comcast push this code out without the end-user's help?

Lastly - I wonder how many premium support contracts were sold in the last week by frustrated people who were lead to believe they needed professional help?  Comcast and Arris are well aware of the issues this unit has, and from all the forums I've read by Xbox owners and WiFi users it is apparent that several users were sold contracts.

Those people are due refunds in my opinion.  Furthermore, Comcast should have its records of TG862 users and XFinity support contract sales sold from approximately 3/15 to current made ready for review.  You don't tell your customers to break their equipment, sell them a contract, then quietly implement a fix without refunding the unnecessary contract.  In addition, those clients who scheduled a service call for equipment replacement and took time off work should be compensated.  I'm an example of someone who's business stopped for half a day to let the cable guy in.  All quite unnecessary since these issues were exposed and documented by people that include Comcast employees.

Am I happy to be working?  YES

Have I suffered damages?

How many others?

How many contracts sold?

Will Comcast make good?

Thanks again for getting the fix in, and allowing me to get back to work.

Contributor

So did you perform a 60 second reset?

Contributor

If you're asking me if I did the 60 second reset, the answer is yes - and that is what prompted the old firmware to load and the unit to finally operate correctly.

No more loss of connection.

Signal is back up where I have 50-60 feet instead of maybe half that.

It just works.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

TVGOS_USER wrote:

- and that is what prompted the old firmware to load and the unit to finally operate correctly.

Re-visit messages 23 & 24. The new firmware was rolled back and the prior firmware load was re-pushed.

Contributor

EG - I understand that.

I asked earlier if the user must perform a reset to initiate firmware downloads but received no replies.

I assumed that the reset I did initiated the firmware download which Comcast had ready (for which I am thankful) - because after I reset the process began, finished, and ultimately the TG862 came back to life with a positive attitude.  It's all in the system log.

Do other Arris TG862 users need to do anything?, or will the old firmware be pushed and reset automatically by Comcast? - this is what I need to know for both my clients, and others brought here by the misery of "double speed" - who seek a solution... they might like to know that another reset is in order.

Contributor

Performed the 60 second reset.

Waited 30 minutes.

Xfinity Speed Test.

TG682- DownLoad 0.17Mbps, I gave up waiting.

Switched to Belkin N750DB router- DownLoad 11.76Mbps, UpLoad 10.56Mbps.

Contributor

[ Edited ]
I also reset the TG862 and now have the 7.4.63A firmware. Both wireless and wired have gone back to pre speed increase Blast speeds. Was getting 55 Mbps wired on 7.6.59 firmware now getting mid 30's Mbps with 7.4.63A. Anyone experience slower wired speeds with the 7.4.63A firmware?
Recognized Contributor
God1hire

Yep everyone who got the old firmware back is getting performance speed in the downstream. I'm thinking its something corrupted in the modem configuration or bootfile.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just tested 10:38pm, CA time.

Arris TG862:

DownLoad= 15.38Mbps, UpLoad= 10.86Mbps.

Belkin N750DB Router:

DownLoad= 25.20Mbps, UpLoad= 10.89Mbps.

At least it is working now. Performance is not as good as Belkin Router.

Recognized Contributor
God1hire

[ Edited ]

I've gone into the event log ( http://192.168.100.1/ ) and found this error multiple times. This is what seems to be the problem.

1/1/1970 0:00     14     Power Supply Telemetry Log - BATTERY MISSING
3/29/2013 18:57     25     MTA PROV: Failed
3/29/2013 19:00     25     MTA PROV: Failed
3/29/2013 19:24     25     MTA PROV: Failed
3/29/2013 20:18     25     MTA PROV: Failed
3/29/2013 22:20     25     MTA PROV: Failed

Connection Expert
EG

FWIW, that message would have nothing to do with speeds if that is what you are referring to.

Recognized Contributor
God1hire

EG wrote:

FWIW, that message would have nothing to do with speeds if that is what you are referring to.

Then what else would it be, CC doesn't have a clue what it is either. If you know please tell us.

Contributor
LanceMoreland

[ Edited ]

I have Extreme 105 and was not getting the full 20Mbs up with the new firmware.  I just rebooted and received the rolled back firmware and am now getting the full 20Mbs up.  Download speed is in excess of 105Mbs down with either firmware.

Recognized Contributor
God1hire

[ Edited ]

LanceMoreland wrote:

I have Extreme 105 and was not getting the full 20Mbs up with the new firmware.  I just rebooted and received the rolled back firmware and am now getting the full 20Mbs up.  Download speed is in excess of 105Mbs down with either firmware.

I'm guessing the problem might be just isolated to those users on blast! speed.

Contributor
LanceMoreland

[ Edited ]

God1hire wrote:
I'm guessing the problem might be just isolated to those users on blast! speed.

Well the new firmware was not giving me the full speed up, so it was causing an issue for me too.

New Visitor
RJohnson2008

So had all the problems been fix with the new firmware because I don't understand how this router has had problems with the firmware and now the update release date keeps changing so is it worth it to keep the arris router or to pay for another one when from what I have seen on this forum most of comcast router have some form of problems

Contributor
LanceMoreland

RJohnson2008 wrote:

So had all the problems been fix with the new firmware because I don't understand how this router has had problems with the firmware and now the update release date keeps changing so is it worth it to keep the arris router or to pay for another one when from what I have seen on this forum most of comcast router have some form of problems

No.  The new firmware was causing problems.  Last night when I rebooted the modem reverted to the older firmware and the speed problems were solved.  Comcast has pulled the new firmware update.

New Visitor
Falcon4242

So, does the 60 second reset fix the connection issues with the Xbox 360 S?

Contributor

Now I am having frequent problems of web pages not loading.

If they do load frequently it takes along time.

I am constantly reloading pages.

I get pop-ups that Google cannot locate web page address.

Then I reload again.

Same situation happens when I use Bing.

Contributor
kennyinbmore

So now I'm as confused as ever. I just received this device from Comcast to replace my old telephony modem. Should I bother installing this thing or stick with my old modem and router?

Connection Expert
EG

kennyinbmore wrote:

So now I'm as confused as ever. I just received this device from Comcast to replace my old telephony modem. Should I bother installing this thing or stick with my old modem and router?

IMO, I would give it back or have it put in to bridge mode by them and use your own current tech high quality router with it.

Contributor
helpmewatch

I'm having these same issues... 

My modem has SW_REV: 7.4.63A.CT

My wired pc is getting about 25mbps download

my wireless pc is getting about 7 to 9 mbps download

both are getting frequent intermittent drops since receiving the new modem, about one or two drops every 5 minutes...very frustrating ...

so what is my next step?

Contributor
helpmewatch

so this Arris modem is also a router...I don't understand how this stuff works...I have a wireless router connected to it...so do I not need that? thx

Contributor
Grimxaz

how do u revert back to the old firm ware

Contributor

I doubt very much you can revert back to a previous firmware! These Arris TG862 gateways are OK when in bridged mode but are an abomination for wireless transmission any farther than a few feet! If you can get a Comcast phone support tech who knows how to bridge the gateway correctly you're a lucky person. After four tech home visits - I'm on my third Arris TG862 and had the good fortune to get a tech on the phone who actually figured out why I was still getting DNS and no page found errors - even when using the Arris TG862 as the only wireless router. I now have my cheap Belkin N300 router connected to the Arris TG862 in bridged mode sending out a signal twice as strong as the Arris TG862. I'm still not getting the full Blast speeds, but wired speed of 30 - 40 are acceptable for now and wireless of 15 - 20 are OK.

Good Luck!  

Regular Contributor

Stan, do you happen to know if the Technicolor TC8305C is any better in regard to wifi stability, which is apparently Arris's downfall?  A friend has a kit on the way for Triple Play, and like a box of chocolates, it's a mystery as to what he's going to get. I think most likely it's one of the Arris's though. I'm not sure if he can swap it for another.

As for Arris, this notice is still on Comcast's modem compat page: "Comcast has identified a software defect on the Arris TG852 and TG862, which may cause problems for a small number of users attempting to use third party DNS services. Arris and Comcast are working to correct this issue and will deploy updated device firmware to resolve the issue."