Reply
Contributor
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎09-17-2003

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

For me it is not only the wireless.

I am also having problems with my Desktop connection that is hard wired to the modem.

Official Employee
ComcastTuska
Posts: 965
Registered: ‎05-02-2012

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released


Anon90349 wrote:

For me it is not only the wireless.

I am also having problems with my Desktop connection that is hard wired to the modem.


Really?  what problems are you having?

Senior Network Engineer, Comcast
v6 Project
Contributor
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎09-17-2003

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

Same as the wireless, except the signal strength, since it is hardwired.

But still drops internet connection, seems just as frequently as wireless.

It's like haveing AT&T as my mobile phone provider with dropped calls before I switched to Verizon.

Sometimes it connects real fast but frequently have to reload.

The old modem was much better, with a Belkin router.

I am using the new modem, but the wireless router is so bad I am using the new modem with my old Belkin router.

Connection Expert
EG
Posts: 42,181
Registered: ‎12-24-2003

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released


Anon90349 wrote:
I am using the new modem, but the wireless router is so bad I am using the new modem with my old Belkin router.

If you are doing that the please read the advice in message #45. Cascading two routing devices is not the best idea.

Official Employee
ComcastTuska
Posts: 965
Registered: ‎05-02-2012

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

EG is correct double NAT's are a bad idea..

Senior Network Engineer, Comcast
v6 Project
Contributor
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎09-17-2003

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

OK.

 

So I have 2 choices.

 

1- Give it back.

 

2- Have them put it in bridge mode.

 

If I do #1, I have to have them turn on the old modem?

 

or

 

#2 Choose bridge mode.

 

What is bridge mode?

 

Is it better or worse than go back to what I had before with the old modem?

Contributor
internet-user
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎05-22-2013

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

[ Edited ]

I see that the new firmware called "7.6.59" was removed from people's modems because of glitches.

 

Can a Comcast employee give us an update of the status of the next firmware update?

 

I've only used Firmware 7.4.63A and it's been working well for me, but I know I will be forced to update eventually in order to add IPv6. I'm afraid of things breaking when I am forced to update!

New Visitor
elknino
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎12-29-2010

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

So its almost June and no word on the newest firmware that fixes issues for Xbox 360 users. Please update us.

Regular Contributor
Posts: 91
Registered: ‎01-24-2004

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

There's a report here about a new version. Has anyone else seen it?  If so, in what way has it improved?

 

TS070659C_050313_MODEL_862_GW_CT

 

 

Contributor
speed053
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎03-19-2013

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

Is the new firmware for the TG862 fixes third party DNS issues (like you go to certain websites or as long as you surfing the web and you can't get through), being disconnected briefly, latency issues, and losing speed? Please confirm it!

Official Employee
ComcastTuska
Posts: 965
Registered: ‎05-02-2012

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

Yes I will confirm the new code should fix the wireless issue, xbox issue, and the third party issue.  I have not tested these myself, but I was told yes they should be corrected.

Senior Network Engineer, Comcast
v6 Project
Regular Contributor
Posts: 91
Registered: ‎01-24-2004

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

[ Edited ]

Any comment on the new "feature" described in the link in my last post?  It's not very cool to change settings on a firmware update (in this case, enabling wifi again), particularly a setting that you have to call/chat Comcast in order to change back.

 

Also, what is the timetable for the rollout of this firmware?  Some people already have it, but what's the window?

Official Employee
ComcastTuska
Posts: 965
Registered: ‎05-02-2012

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

[ Edited ]

bjf2000 wrote:

Any comment on the new "feature" described in the link in my last post?  It's not very cool to change settings on a firmware update (in this case, enabling wifi again), particularly a setting that you have to call/chat Comcast in order to change back.


I am not on the team that controls the firmware but I will make sure they know about this..

 


bjf2000 wrote:
Also, what is the timetable for the rollout of this firmware?  Some people already have it, but what's the window?

The people that already have it are in the soak area, new firmware soaks run two weeks and the national push is after that. In the next week anyone that reboots their device will have the new code.

Senior Network Engineer, Comcast
v6 Project
Contributor
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎09-17-2003

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

The people that already have it are in the soak area, new firmware soaks run two weeks and the national push is after that. In the next week anyone that reboots their device will have the new code.

 


To reboot our device, is that the 15 second reset?

Contributor
internet-user
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎05-22-2013

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

[ Edited ]

I just got new firmware from Comcast.

 

To get the new firmware, I logged into the settings by typing this in my web browser's address bar: 10.0.0.1

 

Then I went to "Troubleshooting". Then I went to "Reset/Reboot Gateway" and I just pressed "Reset: Press Reset button to restart the gateway".

 

This is what the new firmware is called on my Wireless Gateway:

 

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: 7.6.59C
Software Image Name: TS070659C_050313_MODEL_862_GW_CT
Packet Cable: 1.5

 

These are the changes I've noticed in the new firmware:

-----------

1. There seem to be more settings available for "IPv6" with this new firmware, but it doesn't matter because I am unable to change any of those settings.

 

1. We are now able to change the Wifi setting from "b/g/n" to just "g/n" manually without having to ask a Comcast employee to do it for us. (There is no way to set it to JUST the "n" version of wifi)

 

2. The wifi settings now have MAC Address filtering.

 

3. Going into the "Advanced" menu now has another menu called "Dynamic DNS"

(The "Dynamic DNS" page says this right now: "This Page Currently Not Supported". Going there and clicking "Add DNS" shows an error that says "404 Not Found", so Comcast is obviously not done with adding that feature)

Official Employee
ComcastTuska
Posts: 965
Registered: ‎05-02-2012

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released


internet-user wrote:

1. There seem to be more settings available for "IPv6" with this new firmware, but it doesn't matter because I am unable to change any of those settings.

 


Internet-user,

 

Your on a IPv6 enabled CMTS, give it about a month or so and the IPv6 features should be enabled.  Right now we are turing up the new firmware and the IPv6 part will be turned up later.  This way if issues come up it makes it easier to find out what the issue was.

Senior Network Engineer, Comcast
v6 Project
Contributor
internet-user
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎05-22-2013

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

[ Edited ]

When I got the updated firmware for the TG862, I think it created a second SSID wifi hotspot called "xfinitywifi" that doesn't have any security settings. Should I ask Comcast to disable that second Wifi signal? I don't want all of my neighbors to be able to use my internet connection for free! If they do something illegal while using the free "xfinitywifi" internet, I will be the one who gets punished because it's my router!

 

Can a Comcast employee tell me if you can disable it?

Regular Contributor
Posts: 91
Registered: ‎01-24-2004

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

internet-user, you'll want to read this:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/TG862-WiFi-Broadcasting-second-ssid-can-t-d...

 

Comcast really needs to clarify the situation.

New Visitor
rantsalot
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎05-30-2013

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

It looks like the software in my Arris TG862G was updated around 4:44 a.m. today to TS070659C_050313_MODEL_862_GW_CT_SIP_PC20, DOCSIS s/w version 7.6.59C.  Now I've been experiencing general flakiness and dropouts all day.  I did notice that when I ping Comcast's DNS server at 75.75.75.75 that it will sometimes time out, but not always.  Meanwhile, a ping of Google's public DNS at 8.8.8.8 is rock solid.  I would guess that the issue is at Comcast's end, given that I can ping Google's DNS server okay.  Any Comcast tech care to confirm this?

Contributor
internet-user
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎05-22-2013

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

[ Edited ]

bjf2000 wrote:

internet-user, you'll want to read this:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/TG862-WiFi-Broadcasting-second-ssid-can-t-d...

 

Comcast really needs to clarify the situation.


Thanks! I called the phone number from that conversation and they turned off the second Wifi signal called "xfinitywifi".

 

I first tried to go into the "live chat" on Comcast's website to speak to them on the internet and the person said she checked my Wireless Gateway and she said it wasn't even broadcasting a second SSID called "xfinitywifi"! She was wrong because I called 1-855-845-6834 and the guy correctly shut off the second SSID for me. I don't even see the "xfinitywifi" signal when I scan for Wifi signals now.

 

The SSID called "xfinitywifi" was broadcasting a slightly different MAC Address than my normal wifi signal. The guy on the phone said it would've slowed down my internet connection if I allowed my neighbors to use the "xfinitywifi" signal.

Regular Contributor
Posts: 91
Registered: ‎01-24-2004

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released


internet-user wrote:

 

The SSID called "xfinitywifi" was broadcasting a slightly different MAC Address than my normal wifi signal. The guy on the phone said it would've slowed down my internet connection if I allowed my neighbors to use the "xfinitywifi" signal.


Thanks for the report. On this point in particular, it looks like Comcast's line about it being "completely separate" and thereby not affecting you at all is malarkey, as common sense tells us (where else can the bandwidth originate than you). I'm surprised they contradicted themselves to you.

 

That xfinitywifi is apparently a wide-open SSID blows my mind, along with it being enabled by default and there being no way to disable it yet short of contacting Comcast. The other thread mentions that the plan is to allow you to disable it in your online Comcast account, but really, how many will even know about this to know to do that?  Astonishing all around.

Contributor
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎09-17-2003

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

[ Edited ]

Wifi stopped working. 15 second reset did hot do anything. Unplugged unit waited 10 seconds, plugged unit back in and wifi started to work.

However now when I do a scan I see 2  MAC Addresses:

1- SSID= HOME-2012   MAC= 00:1D:smileylaugh:6:xx:xx:xx

2- SSID=                       MAC= 02:1D:smileylaugh:6:xx:xx:xx   (note SSID is blank, MAC address is the same except 02)

 

Does this mean that guest access is now available? I do not see anywhere to turn off the additional MAC address.

 

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:7.6.59C
Software Image Name:TS070659C_050313_MODEL_862_GW_CT
 Packet Cable 1.5

 

 

 

What is going on?

 

Sorry about the happy face it was supposed to be : D

 

Official Employee
ComcastTuska
Posts: 965
Registered: ‎05-02-2012

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released


internet-user wrote:


 

The SSID called "xfinitywifi" was broadcasting a slightly different MAC Address than my normal wifi signal. The guy on the phone said it would've slowed down my internet connection if I allowed my neighbors to use the "xfinitywifi" signal.



Just an FYI for everyone:  "

The firmware was tested with xfinitywifi SSID and no degradation on customer Wifi was noticed."




Senior Network Engineer, Comcast
v6 Project
Contributor
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎09-17-2003

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

I would prefer not to have anyone else on my Xfinity Gateway except my family...

 

I am the one paying extra for the high speed internet service.

 

Why should someone I don't know or I don't want get to use my paid internet service for free?

 

They are not paying for it!

 

I would not have a problem If I didn't have to pay for the High Speed Internet Service and it was still fast.

Regular Contributor
Posts: 91
Registered: ‎01-24-2004

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

[ Edited ]


Just an FYI for everyone:  "

The firmware was tested with xfinitywifi SSID and no degradation on customer Wifi was noticed."


Well, your FAQ hedges a little: "Your in-home WiFi network, as well as XFINITY WiFi, use shared spectrum, and as with any shared medium there can be some impact as more devices share WiFi. We have provisioned the XFINITY WiFi feature to support robust usage, and therefore, we anticipate minimal to no impact to the in-home WiFi network."

 

That aside, however, there are two much larger issues. First, Internet bandwidth. So if my neighbors start using me to watch Netflix, will you say that doesn't affect me?  Really?  If so, then the only way that's possible is if you've provisioned separate Internet bandwidth apart from what Performance gives me just for Xfinitywifi. Have you done that?  I don't think so, since there have been reports about Internet bandwidth being sapped by leachers.

 

Worse, what about the issue reported by multiple users here where a neighbor can connect up to Xfinitywifi and use an ordinary app to browse my hard drive?

 

If either of these things is true, you really don't want this getting out into the tech press, believe me.

Official Employee
jlivingood
Posts: 1,095
Registered: ‎05-09-2007

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released


rantsalot wrote:

II did notice that when I ping Comcast's DNS server at 75.75.75.75 that it will sometimes time out, but not always.  Meanwhile, a ping of Google's public DNS at 8.8.8.8 is rock solid.  I would guess that the issue is at Comcast's end, given that I can ping Google's DNS server okay.  Any Comcast tech care to confirm this?


Our DNS servers de-prioritize and rate limit ICMP (ping), which is pretty commonplace. So ping is not a reliable way to tell if the DNS servers are available -- doing a DNS lookup (such as via dig) is.

JL
National Engineering & Technical Operations
Official Employee
jlivingood
Posts: 1,095
Registered: ‎05-09-2007

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released


internet-user wrote:

When I got the updated firmware for the TG862, I think it created a second SSID wifi hotspot called "xfinitywifi" that doesn't have any security settings. Should I ask Comcast to disable that second Wifi signal? I don't want all of my neighbors to be able to use my internet connection for free! If they do something illegal while using the free "xfinitywifi" internet, I will be the one who gets punished because it's my router!


It is a separate network and uses a separate IP address. Access to Xfinity WiFi is authenticated by user name and password. So if there is abuse we not only can trace to the user ID but the IP address is different from the one you use.

JL
National Engineering & Technical Operations
Official Employee
jlivingood
Posts: 1,095
Registered: ‎05-09-2007

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

[ Edited ]

bjf2000 wrote:

internet-user wrote:

Thanks for the report. On this point in particular, it looks like Comcast's line about it being "completely separate" and thereby not affecting you at all is malarkey, as common sense tells us (where else can the bandwidth originate than you). I'm surprised they contradicted themselves to you.

That xfinitywifi is apparently a wide-open SSID blows my mind, along with it being enabled by default and there being no way to disable it yet short of contacting Comcast. The other thread mentions that the plan is to allow you to disable it in your online Comcast account, but really, how many will even know about this to know to do that?  Astonishing all around.


It is indeed separare. There is a separate "service flow" for this from the CMTS to the device; this is in part how it uses a separate IP address. 

 

Also, it is not wide open - it is authenticated by Comcast user name and password. It can be disabled by contacting Care and opting out OR doing it yourself in your Customer Central control panel.

JL
National Engineering & Technical Operations
Official Employee
jlivingood
Posts: 1,095
Registered: ‎05-09-2007

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released


bjf2000 wrote:

Well, your FAQ hedges a little: "Your in-home WiFi network, as well as XFINITY WiFi, use shared spectrum, and as with any shared medium there can be some impact as more devices share WiFi. We have provisioned the XFINITY WiFi feature to support robust usage, and therefore, we anticipate minimal to no impact to the in-home WiFi network."


This refers to the unlicensed WiFi spectrum (2.4GHz and 5GHz). 

 


bjf2000 wrote:

That aside, however, there are two much larger issues. First, Internet bandwidth. So if my neighbors start using me to watch Netflix, will you say that doesn't affect me?  Really?  If so, then the only way that's possible is if you've provisioned separate Internet bandwidth apart from what Performance gives me just for Xfinitywifi. Have you done that?  


Yes 

JL
National Engineering & Technical Operations
Connection Expert
EG
Posts: 42,181
Registered: ‎12-24-2003

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

No offense and nothing personal Jason but my opinion to everyone is to not use CC's supplied or any gateway devices !! Get your own separate high quality router so that you can be in full control of your own home network and don't be victimized / held hostage by your ISP. This is not the only issue with these gateways. Even if it wasn't for this, the ISP still controls the firmware and can and do cripple it if they like, you are at their mercy.

 

Here are some reasons not to use gateways;

 

There is always an inherent disadvantage with these. Combo gateway devices are always a compromise in both quality and performance compared to separate units. Also, only the ISP can update the firmware so you are always a prisoner of that / them. And the firmware is typically crippled by the ISP's customizing of it and they typically eliminate valuable features.

One of the biggest issues with them is that it is far more difficult to diagnose connectivity issues when it comes to troubleshooting. You can't narrow things down by using the process of elimination by removing just the router from the path. And if either segment fails / malfunctions, you have a total failure. I think that CC made a big mistake when they changed their policy and decided to start supplying them instead of dedicated devices. The suits seem to think that this will save them money for support costs but I think that they are getting far more support calls/complaints than ever... We certainly are seeing far more complaints in forums now !

Get separate units and keep the control of your home network in your hands instead of theirs, you'll be much happier !

New Visitor
Gem047
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎05-31-2013

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

So what do you suggest we do? Bridge? Or ask for a modem? I was reluctant to have the gateway, but the install guy told me this was the only option for my internet speed.
Contributor
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎09-02-2009

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

The best thing by far is to call CC and have the gateway put in bridge mode with the wireless shut off. Buy you're own router and connect it to port 1 of the gateway. I had my gateway in bridge mode with wireless off, the new firmware downloaded and turned the wireless on. I called CC and they turned turned wireless off. I did not get the Xfinitywifi with the new firmware.
The new firmware did fix my speed issues, I now have download speed of 55+ wired and 30+ wireless.
Regular Contributor
Posts: 91
Registered: ‎01-24-2004

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

Stan, have you tried logging in to the device since being in bridge mode with the new firmware?  I've seen multiple reports saying that it no longer works, which if true is a big downside. It worked with the previous firmware. Check 192.168.100.1 in addition to the usual 10.0.0.1.

 

Let's hope that they fix the separate problem where wireless is re-enbled after a firmware upgrade. That was reported up the thread, and Comcast knows about it now, at least.

Contributor
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎09-02-2009

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware releasedy

Bjf2000: I can get into the Arris status page with 192.168.100.1 but the Xfinity tab brings up a username & password where the usual: admin /password do not work. The advanced tab does not work. I cannot get 10.0.0.1 to work when the gateway is in bridge mode. 

Contributor
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎12-29-2009

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

So on this new firmware can you change your DNS to another DNS provider like Google Public DNS?

New Visitor
Falcon4242
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎04-27-2013

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

I tried the 60 second reset, and now my modem just crapped out. Can't even connect to the network now. My phone settings says the network is "disabled". Am I missing something? Was I supposed to download something from the internet before the reset? I like to think of myself as a fairly tech-savvy person, but I'm only a kid and I haven't had much experience with modems that don't work properly. I really need the internet for my homework.
Regular Contributor
Posts: 91
Registered: ‎01-24-2004

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

@Stan, thanks. I sure hope they fix that, as I can't imagine that it's intentional when it wasn't happening before.

 

@Falcon, you only had to reboot it for it to pick up the new firmware, which takes between 5-10 minutes to slowly go through the upgrade process. I'm not sure what the 60-second reset did for/to you exactly (resets to defaults maybe?), but perhaps it needs to be reactivated now. Are you at least in Comcast's walled garden (when you hook directly to the modem, do you see the activation page?). If not, you might have to call them.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod
Posts: 1,596
Registered: ‎06-15-2009

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware releasedy


StanL_SDCC wrote:

Bjf2000: I can get into the Arris status page with 192.168.100.1 but the Xfinity tab brings up a username & password where the usual: admin /password do not work. The advanced tab does not work. I cannot get 10.0.0.1 to work when the gateway is in bridge mode. 


Not sure what you mean by this. If you have bridged the gateway, it would act like a normal eMTA modem for internet and phone only. You have turned off the router functions, so why would you want to get back into it's interface? The whole idea of bridging the gateways router, is so that you can connect your own router, without creating double NAT problems.

 

To take the gateway out of bridge mode, you could perform a factory reset by pressing and holding the recessed reset button over 15 seconds...

 

 

Regular Contributor
Posts: 91
Registered: ‎01-24-2004

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware releasedy

Why wouldn't you want to be able to access the UI just because it's in bridged mode?  You still want to be able to look at the signal page, the log page, be able to reboot it, or see any number of other things. For most of my Comcast life, I had a regular Motorola modem (bridged mode was its one and only mode), and I had reason to look into it dozens or hundreds of times over the years.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod
Posts: 1,596
Registered: ‎06-15-2009

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware releasedy


bjf2000 wrote:

Why wouldn't you want to be able to access the UI just because it's in bridged mode?  You still want to be able to look at the signal page, the log page, be able to reboot it, or see any number of other things. For most of my Comcast life, I had a regular Motorola modem (bridged mode was its one and only mode), and I had reason to look into it dozens or hundreds of times over the years.


So are you saying 192.168.100.1 doesn't work, to look at your signals/logs?

Regular Contributor
Posts: 91
Registered: ‎01-24-2004

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware releasedy

Stan should be able to answer that, as I haven't been able to do bridged mode yet as I'm on the road.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod
Posts: 1,596
Registered: ‎06-15-2009

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware releasedy

Well 192.168.100.1 should work to view signals/logs ect; when bridged. To reboot it, a short 2-5 second press of the reset button will do the job. Pressing and holding the reset button over 15 seconds will do a factory reset and take it out of bridged mode.

 

Just don't see any reason to get into the inbuilt router's UI, when the router's function has been turned off.

 

 

New Visitor
RevPOMP
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎06-03-2013

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

[ Edited ]

Yesterday I experienced a power outage, after which my Arris Gateway updated to:

 

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:7.6.59C
Software Image Name:TS070659C_050313_MODEL_862_GW_CT

 

Now I am unable to connect to my wireless network using the following settings (which worked on the previous firmware):

 

Network Name (SSID): CUSTOM

Mode: 802.11 g/n

Security Mode: WPA2-PSK (AES)

Channel Selection: Manual

Channel: 6

Broadcast Network Name (SSID): Enabled

 

I use a 63 ASCII character password (randomly generated from grc.com/passwords). And since the firmware update, this password no longer works on any device in my home. I tried other randomly generated passwords, and none of those worked either. I also tried a factory reset, and reapplied my WiFi network settings which also did not work. Then I shortened the password to 20 characters, using mixed-case letters, numbers, and special characters, and was able to connect to the gateway. 

 

This seems to be an issue with the password length, and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Visitor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎06-11-2007

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

I had a power outage as well and the new firmware downloaded when the router rebooted, but I have been having issues streaming musing over wifi ever since.  Another example of lack of testing of the new firmware.  I struggled throught the last firmware update and the xfinitywifi that allowed open access to my network...  I wish I could have the old firmware again... 

New Visitor
RevPOMP
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎06-03-2013

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

Another *awesome* issue I'm having is every time I login to comcast.com and click the "My Services" link, I see the Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot has magically re-enabled itself. I have turned it off 3 times, and each time I received verification that "Your Hotspot is OFF". Yet when I sign out and then sign back in, it is back on each time.

Regular Contributor
Posts: 91
Registered: ‎01-24-2004

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

I haven't seen that happen. Maybe the setting doesn't survive rebooting the 862 (if so, that would be terrible)?  I haven't rebooted it since the firmware upgrade.

Contributor
internet-user
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎05-22-2013

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

[ Edited ]

RevPOMP wrote:

Another *awesome* issue I'm having is every time I login to comcast.com and click the "My Services" link, I see the Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot has magically re-enabled itself. I have turned it off 3 times, and each time I received verification that "Your Hotspot is OFF". Yet when I sign out and then sign back in, it is back on each time.


When I updated to the new firmware, it added a second Wifi signal called "xfinitywifi" and I called a phone number to make Comcast turn it off. Since I called them, the Wifi signal called "xfinitywifi" doesn't appear anymore.

 

BUT every time I log into comcast.com and click "My Services" to look at the setting to toggle the Xfinity Hotspot on and off, it is ALWAYS set to "On". But I DON'T think it's on because I use a wifi device to scan for wifi hotspots and the one called "xfinitywifi" doesn't appear on the list of Wifi hotspots anymore.

 

I think this is happening: I think the "xfinitywifi" actually IS turned off, but the setting on the "My Services" section of comcast.com must have a glitch to make it always appear to be set to "On".

 

I also keep clicking "Off" on the website and I refresh the page and it's set to "On" again, but using a device like a cellphone to check for wifi hotspots does NOT show "xfinitywifi" anymore.

 

It must just be a glitch with Comcast.com.

New Visitor
RevPOMP
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎06-03-2013

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released

I'll look into that. Thanks for the heads up.

Official Employee
jlivingood
Posts: 1,095
Registered: ‎05-09-2007

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released


Sharon048 wrote:

So on this new firmware can you change your DNS to another DNS provider like Google Public DNS?


Yes

JL
National Engineering & Technical Operations
Official Employee
jlivingood
Posts: 1,095
Registered: ‎05-09-2007

Re: Arris TG862 New Firmware released


internet-user wrote:
 

BUT every time I log into comcast.com and click "My Services" to look at the setting to toggle the Xfinity Hotspot on and off, it is ALWAYS set to "On". But I DON'T think it's on because I use a wifi device to scan for wifi hotspots and the one called "xfinitywifi" doesn't appear on the list of Wifi hotspots anymore.

 

I think this is happening: I think the "xfinitywifi" actually IS turned off, but the setting on the "My Services" section of comcast.com must have a glitch to make it always appear to be set to "On".

 

I also keep clicking "Off" on the website and I refresh the page and it's set to "On" again, but using a device like a cellphone to check for wifi hotspots does NOT show "xfinitywifi" anymore.

 

It must just be a glitch with Comcast.com.


Known bug, fixed in an upcoming release (soon). 

JL
National Engineering & Technical Operations