Visitor
MarkJS

Arris TG862 Router Randomly Disconnects WiFi

Hello guys, I've been having this annoying problem with my WiFi Modem Router (Arris TG862). It randomly disconnects WiFi, just the WiFi, my computer that is connected to it directly through Ethernet does not have this problem. The router's WiFi would randomly stop. All the computer that is connected to the WiFi, including smartphones and tablets, would randomly stop recieving wireless signal. Everytime it happens, I would use the computer that is connected through Ethernet and configure the modem router, then reset the WiFi module. That would work for about 12 hours and it would happen again, it's getting frustrating. I've noticed that the WiFi Data light on the router would turn to a solid light whenever it happens. It's usually blinking when it is working.

I've tried resetting everything to factory defaults, changing the channel from 1, 6 and 11. Changed the ecryption mode, eabled and disabled SSID broadcast, but nothing has worked. Just wondering if any of you guys have had the same problem with the particular modem router (or a different one).

Thanks guys! :smileyhappy:

New Visitor
Moss1972

Re: Arris TG862 Router Randomly Disconnects WiFi

I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE SAME ROUTER IN FACT THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN GETTING

UDP Packet - Source:79.97.136.23,61319 Destination:98.214.117.37,3074 11:07:56 2013-01-02 [DOS]

UDP Packet - Source:142.166.33.148,2448 Destination:98.214.117.37,3074 11:08:02 2013-01-02 [DOS]

This is 2 of dozens of {DOS} LOGS that appeared on my Router System/Firewall/Event logs .

Visitor
MarkJS

Thanks for the reply.

I've also checked the Event and Firewall logs on my router and I do not have that particular event, based on the source and destination IP. I still have no idea of what could be causing this problem, although I'm leaning towards hardware faulty on the router.

New Visitor
stevenbowman655

I also have the Arris Touchstone TG862, with frequent wifi disconnects.  I've tried all of the things you've tried to no avail.  And yes, it is just the wifi portion.  Computers on ethernet cables are unaffected.  Laptops continue to see the SSID being broadcast even when the wifi is in "disconnect" mode, but they will not reconnect, even when I ask nicely.  The only solution appears to be resetting the wifi via a wired computer (or doing a hard reset of the gateway with a paperclip in the back). 

I chatted with Comcast tech support the other night and, although the person was most cordial, the support was in name only.  He seemed as puzzled as I am, which may just be the company "line" since the interwebs are bloated with reports of this same problem.  His helpful suggestion was to call and schedule a service visit.  I think before I do that, I'll try to bridge to my old Linksys router since the cable connections on the gateway seem to be fine.  The Linksys WRT54G has always been solid as a rock.  Can't say the same for the Arris, though.

Visitor
MarkJS

I am kind of glad I'm not the only one who's experiencing this problem. I've also talked to Comcast about it and I had scheduled a service visit. What the tech did was check all the wiring and cablings, the router's settings, and the radio signal, and everything seemed fine to him. He said the router might have some hardware issue and will be replaced, thankfully.

If the problem still persist after they replace my current router, I might have to use a different wireless router and just use the Arris as a modem.

Contributor
arrisIP

Yes, Comcast either cannot or will not help.  I love how they will direct you to their "premium" (pay extra) service for help with your wifi devices.  That makes sense except when the device that we are PAYING FOR (on top of PAYING FOR INTERNET SERVICE) already is clearly the source of the problem.  You know it, they know it and oh do I ever know it.

The best advice i have (aside from buying modem/router) is to login to the Arris and under "Troubleshooting", under "Reset/Reboot Gateway", you need to click on "Reset Wifi Module".  This works every time.  The only problem is that it does not last and so be ready to do this 2, 3, 5, or more times a week.  First devices get disconnected are macbooks and older ipads.  Then androids and newer ipad.  Then winXP.  Win7 laptops never seem to have issues oddly.

I have replaced my Arris device and the newer one was just as bad as the 8 month old one.  Comcast should get on Arris to provide a solution to this problem and soon.  Until then, we should be getting this (dis)service for free.

New Visitor
Mia_1

Hi,

I too have an Arris TG862 Router. My Wifi light does not light up and just posted that question. I use the ethernet cable, but I wonder, if this is suppose to be wireless than why do I need the ethernet cable in the first place? 

I am no service tech but after reading customers posts it seems to me that these routers have the same issue. Have they tried to fix the problem? Does Comcast see a pattern here  regarding these routers?

It would seem to me that if customers repeatedly inquire with the same problem, then  wouldn't Comcast just replace these particular routers with a different one that actually works?

Just my 2 cents. :smileyhappy:

Maria  

Contributor
arrisIP

Mia, if your wifi light will not come on you should dial the 800 comcast number.  They will help you with that and should be able to solve it.

As to why they don't help with this Arris problem is more compilcated.  For starters, to just "replace" the unit would require quite a lot of them, and it would be reasonable to assume what they have sitting around in stock is the exact same device.  So this would require a lot of money and some ramp up time. The other thing is this is not a show stopper error.  Probably not all customers are having this problem or are aware what the nature of the problem is (they probably think it's their fault for not being tech savvy. And if one wants to be cynical, this is providing a nice path to their "premium" support service.).  For the rest of us, even if you are having this issue there are probably devices on the wifi that are fine.  At least in our case it will be limited to a single or maybe a couple devices not able to get on the network.  When things got desperate, it was probably half of our devices would not connect.  The problem is transient in nature and as I eventually discovered, with the help of support, there is a temporary solution - so even though it is frustrating and a pain, you can live with it.

Who knows what is in the contract with Arris but regardless, Arris should by now have been able to duplicate this error and figure out what is causing it.  If there was a firmware solution forthcoming then I would think we would have seen that by now.  If the problem is with the hardware then hopefully they will be providing replacement units at some point.  Meanwhile one wonders how many customers are being soured on their experience with their ISP (ie Comcast)?  I know it's not giving me the warm fuzzies.

New Visitor
RosyMomma

There is a known issue with Arris TG852/862Gs, the issue is claimed to be with 3rd Party DNS services but I bet this may be related.

Reference:

Comcast Approved DOCSIS Devices

New Visitor
fnadim

I am having the exact same problem. Did anyone actually manage to resolve this or have Comcast change the router? Thanks!

New Visitor
kimmorgan

Had the same problem(and others). Just found out today that the Aris 852 and Aris 862 modems are defective and being recalled. The guy at Comcast said he heard about this 1-2 weeks ago. He said I need to take the modem to the local Comcast office and they would swap it out.

Of course this comes AFTER  I just spent a lot of money on new wireless router.When were they going to tell us?

REMEMBER: Comcast is the only game in town,And tha tgame is called MONOPOLY.