New Visitor
ftlum

Arris TG862 and Cisco EA4500

Hi All.

I just changed my old Comcast cable box to the new TG862 and am no longer able to access my Cisco router.  It shows as connected in the TG862's admin page, but I can't log in to the Cisco router's admin page or get the wifi to connect properly (seems to work sometimes).  

There must be some sort of conflict with this new router.  Everything worked ok with the old one.  Is there a setting I need to adjust?

thanks in advance,

Frank

Regular Contributor
shuck1

Re: Arris TG862 and Cisco EA4500

[ Edited ]

One question is the modem set up in bridged mode? that way the TG862 acts as just a modem and not a gateway If not then you hvae routed with NAT and you are using the router in the TG862.  Basiclly you are Double Nating when you add the cisco router to the TG862.

You can either call comcast and have them disable the router and have them put the gateway in to bridged mode.

or

Change the cisco router ip to 192.168.1.1 something other than what in on the gateway then plug the rj45 cable into the wan of the cicso from the lan of theTG862 after doing that you should be able to surf the web 

-CS

Networking Expert
Baric

ftlum wrote:

Hi All.

I just changed my old Comcast cable box to the new TG862 and am no longer able to access my Cisco router.  It shows as connected in the TG862's admin page, but I can't log in to the Cisco router's admin page or get the wifi to connect properly (seems to work sometimes).  

There must be some sort of conflict with this new router.  Everything worked ok with the old one.  Is there a setting I need to adjust?

thanks in advance,

Frank

The TG862 is full wireless gateway, it has the function of your cable modem (the "old Comcast cable box"), wireless router, and EMTA all rolled into one.  Depending on how you connected it or how your computer is connecting to your network, you may or may not be able to use see the EA4500.  My recommendation would to be make sure your computer(s) and other devices are all connected to the EA4500 directly, and only the EA4500's WAN port is conencted to the TG862, then call the gateway support folks at Comcast at 800-363-2416 and have them place the TG862 into bridge mode.  In this mode, the TG862 looks just like a cable modem and EMTA (if you have Xfinity Voice service) and your router will work as normal.

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

Baric's advice is spot on and should solve any issue using the Linksys EA4500 router. I use this router with my eMTA modem (Arris TM7229 which is not a gateway - no router functions), and it performs extremely well.

Once your Arris Gateway is "bridged", set up should be a breeze.

Of course, you could always opt to use the Arris TG862's router functions, and simply take the EA4500 out of the equation, but frankly, I think that the EA4500 has far better router functionality than any gateway.

Networking Expert
Baric

I hear good things about the EA4500, in general.  It appears to be a FAR superior wireless router to the router in the Arris gateway.

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

While the attraction of the ease and simplicity of an all in one modem-eMTA-router is understandable, most gateways tend to suffer in their router functionality. Generally, for an eMTA/cable modem provider such as Arris, the router part of the equation is going to be second-tier...more of an "add-on" than a primary consideration in the design.

The EA4500 is a top-notch consumer router, and in terms of speed, range, flexibility and ease of use, it is right up there with a very few top of the line routers.  Had Comcast supplied me with a wireless gateway eMTA, I would absolutely have it put into bridge mode and use my EA4500 as the router.

One of the good points of the TG862 eMTA however is that it is an 8x4 D3 modem, versus the 4x4 design of the TM722G that I use.

Regular Contributor
shuck1

[ Edited ]

I do agree with you that Linsys-Cisco has a very good router product but that has been because they have perfected the product for years. Arris has only been doing this for a few years but I believe the product gets better and better. The TG862/852 works really well but comcast disable the section that allows you to customize you setting to optimal everything is best to best case scenario. If you where able to get into the Advanced page the experience would be much different. I get all the speed and performance with these settings and I never run into issues. so far:smileywink:

-CS

Regular Problem Solver
PeteC2

shuck1, please do not get me wrong - I am not saying that the Arris TG862 router functions are necessarily bad...however, they are not at the same level as what is offered by a stand alone router such as the EA4500. 

For example, although the TG862 does claim a mimo antenna design, I would safely bet that the Linksys antenna array is superior.  You simply can't put all the associated electronics in one chassis and expect that each function can be equally optimized.  

The TG862 may be the exception, but historically, wireless gateways have a poor track record (both dsl wireless gateways as well as cable), and for good reason.  If it wasn't an 8x4 D3 eMTA, I would opt for a non-wireless gateway

As the OP already has the EA4500, unless he is in the position of returning it, his best option would be to utilize it.

Connection Expert
EG

shuck1 wrote:
This is what I changed mine too these setting are comparable to what you see on the Linksys-Cisco routers  these settings are in the ADVANCED Page which Comcast has chose to lock out.

What's the point of posting that stuff if the end user can not access it ?

Connection Expert
EG
Connection Expert
EG

Year old thread closed.