New Visitor
groveman

Arris TG862G/GT and Xbox 360 S

wanted to drop in and report an issue with my new wireless gateway and connecting my Xbox 360 S.  According to this post on another company's boards: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27019272-Arris-TG​862g-and-Xbox-Live, there is a "known issue" with the 360 S connecting to this gateway specifically.  I wanted to report this issue in case others are experiencing it, and to make the "powers that be" aware to get some new firmware pushed out to us to resolve it.

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Arris TG862G/GT and Xbox 360 S

While it is possible, I would be higly skeptical of basing this on one post from some other provider.  Be aware that Comcast flashes their own firmware into the TG852G/CT and while there are issues with it, I suspect they are DIFFERENT issues from the firmware load being used at some other provider.

That said, I recommend you NEVER use a combo gateway like this, they are Trouble.  Replace it with a cable modem (or EMTA if you have Xfinity Voice service) and get your own wireless router.  Or at least have the gateway placed in bridge mode by the support folks at 800-363-2416 and again, get your own router.  Are you sensing a theme here?  Get your own router.

New Visitor
dcellio

I just got this router myself and the ONLY thing I can't get to connect is my XBOX. I have scoured the internet for answers because Comcast wants to charge me for some expensive signature service just to fix this issue. Going to the Arris website you will find that they don't support their own product because it comes from a cable provider! Seriously? Unless I can get some help soon I guess I will take it back and get my own wireless router. This shouldn't be that hard to fix.

New Visitor
downeasterner

I just got Comcast Voice/Internet today, and I am having the same issue with a TG862G/CT router. My son's xbox (an older version) connected immediately. My xbox just doesn't connect, and the folks at Microsoft are baffled. I guess it is a comcast issue.

Networking Expert
Baric

Folks, stop using the TG852G/CT as a gateway, you're only prolonging your pain.  Have it placed in bridge mode by the folks at 800-363-2416, and get your own wireless router.  Problem solved.

Contributor
Covedge

Received our Arris TG862 from Comcast becasue as it turns out, the D2 we had was not capabable of providing the 30MPS bandwidth we were paying for for 2 years.

Worked great for the X-Box on Day1 - April 2,  on  Day2 it started dropping connection once per day and losing the wireless password so I had to cycle power on the Arris to recconnect.

As of today, day 4, the xbox is not connecting to the wireless at all.

I will take the advice of the poster and replace this Arris a separate router and modem, although beofre doing this -

Has anyone tried assignong a dedicated IP to the x-box instead of relying on DNS?

Thanks in advance

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

Your story is unfortunately familar.  While you can statically assign an IP address, I doubt that will "fix" it, the problem is more likely in the underlying wireless connection itself that it is at the IP layer.

The TG862 seems to have superseded the TG852G/CT in some areas, but it has the same firmware and thus the exact same issues as the other Xfinity Wireless Gateways.  The only real way to fix this is get rid of the router and wireless functions on these devices.  The fastest way to do that is to have the device placed in bridge mode by the gateway support folks at 800-363-2416.  This turns the gateway into an EMTA.  Then simply connect your own wireless router and have IT control your network, not the gateway.

Better of course is to replace the gateway entirely with a cable modem (with EMTA if you have Xfinity Voice).  Buying your own is usually the best option, the Motorola SB6120 or SB6121 or Zoom 5341J are very good choices.  However, if you have Xfinity Voice, your buy options are severely limited, you have to buy from Comcast at one of their Comcast kiosk locations (in your local Best Buy, etc), usually an Arris TM722G.  You can't get an EMTA elsewhere and have them provision it in most areas, Comcast will refuse.

In your shoes, I would try bridge mode first with your own router, which is probably all you need to get things working well on an on-going basis.  To save the $7/mo rental on the gateway, buy a cable modem as above.  but if you have Xfinity Voice, you have to decide whether saving the $7/mo fee is worth the cost of the buying an EMTA from Comcast (~$140), not to mention the installation fee (~$50) if required in your area.

Contributor
Covedge

Baric

I am confident your solution will resolve my issue, however I do have Comcast Voice as well as Internet and TV so I will exhaust all options before going there.

I have an open call with Xfinity support and they have really tried. I am following up with them this evening as the support perosn was going to speak with engineering to see if there was new info on this issue.

I alos spoke with X-box supprt and they had me go through the usual gymnastics without resolution, however I did learn a couple of things from Xbox support which has marginally improved xbox live, i.e. - we can connect and run for a while before it degrades and finally gags.

#1 - Delete all files on your xbox storage devices that are marked with an ! . These are corrupt.

#2 - Do not use WPA2-PSK (AES) encryption, the xbox cannot handle it.  We continued to have probelms but I had downloaded the xfinity xbox software to allow us to wacth tv through the xbox (this never worked) and 2 programs were on my storage device so I also delted these. After this things got to the present stage which is still unacceptable but marginally better.

If I learn anything new I will pass it on , I did send an email top Arris but they are a POS company and I would be surprised if they make an effort to help.

Networking Expert
Baric

Having the gateway placed in bridge mode will not disturb your phones, except for a tiny time when the box is rebooted in bridge mode.  So unless getting your own router is an issue, I would do this as soon as possible.  If you decide later to replace the gateway with an EMTA, it will just be a swap.

I'm surprised to hear the Xbox does NOT support WPA2, they added support for it back in 2009 sometime.  It also contradicts this Xbox Live support page:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/connecting/error-cant-connect-wireless-network-978945

It might be an issue with the freqency, since the Xbox supports 2.4GHz only, and there is no way to say one way or the other on the gateway.  Might also be an issue with your particular XBox model, there have been a LOT of them over the years.  Whatever the issue, if you have to step down to WPA-AES.

As for Arris being junk, they generally make pretty nice devices, on the whole.  I don't think the actual hardware here is the problem so much as the firmware that Comcast has loaded in it.  Comcast royally sux at this kind of software, it really shows with the half-baked gateway firmware with missing features, bugs, etc.

I highly recommend you stop mutzing with it and get your own router and have the gateway placed in bridge mode, you will be MUCH happier afterwards, I'm sure.

Contributor
Covedge

Baric,

I shouold have been more specific -

I was told the recommended ARRIS gateway wireless ecyrption - WPA/WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES) that comes up when configuring the ARRIS WIFI was not supported, and to back off to WPA2PSK (AES)

As it turns out this is a moot point as you will see

I spent 2 hrs with Xbos live support and they are aware of the issue and are hoping for a firmware upgrade tfrom ARRIS to correct the issue. I would also hope Microsoft is looking for a patch to their wireless firmware also as PC and IPOD wireless connect fine.

So I was given 2 solutions

1. Run a no secure network and not broadcsat the SSID to mitigate security issues , this I did and it worked for one evening. Next day no xbox live connection that lasted more than 5 minutes.

2.  Purchase a used XBOX wireless plug in , (the white one , not the newer black one)

This I have done and we are back on xbox live and hoping it will work agfain tomorrow.

Networking Expert
Baric

I think the best answer is the one you are ignoring, get your own router.  All other options are work arounds for the crappy gateway.

I assume the reason MS says dont use the WPA with TKIP is it has been shown to be compromised and is NOT secure.

New Visitor
nan1967

I was having the same issue with my newly installed TG862G gateway.  All laptop's, Ipod's connected wirelessly EXCEPT my son's XBOX 360 S.  I bought a router and it connected immediately (Cisco linksys) But Comcast wanted to charge to place the gateway into bridge mode.  I signed up for signature support, returned the router back because we changed wifi password to all lowercase, no funny characters, and it worked for 1 day.

After trying many, many adjustments in settings, we plugged in a wireless network adapter from an old XBOX we had and it connected to XBOX live instantaneously.

Contributor
Covedge

Our xbox live connection has worked flawlessly since installing the old generation wireless controller into our slimline xbox.

It is appalling that this issue has no one stepping up to take ownership, not Arris, not Comcast and not Microsoft.,

Given the fact that with the exception of the new generation X-Box all other wireless devices work fine it is my opinion Microsoft should step up and take ownership, however these are the clowns that gave the world the Vista operating system so I would not hold my breath waiting for them to admit it is their problem or for them to fix it.

My plan is to stick with the old wireless controller until my 3 year Comcast package with the hardware price incentives ends. At that time if there has been no resolution to this issue I will pursue replacing the hardware as recommended. 

New Visitor
Reinheimer

I found the issue, at least for me. I am using the Arris modem and I have the Xbox 360 plugged in to the ethernet port (not wireless). I called Comcast and they did the "hey not our issue, we dont support Xbox" stuff everyone else seemed to get. So I took to the internet and tried countless things.

My specific issue was, under the router I was unknowingly blocking the device on the network. 

Go under "Parental Controls" --> Managed Sites (or managed devices) .. trust the computer and you will also see if you are blocking the same device. Once I "trusted" the 360 (10.0.0.X), I started the 360 and POOF it worked. I am online. 

I do not know speed or if it will give me problems, but for now I connected to XBlive. I hope this helps SOMEONE.

New Visitor
Shanierae

Oh my gosh, it is an easy fix if you can afford to buy a new router, that was the point of the combo one in the first place, at least for us!

New Visitor
omareraso

I spoke to xbox live and they told me it's a firmware update that has to be done by the manufacturer aris.  They did and sent it out to all the ISP's.  Comcast has not yet puhsed out the update. I had to add another wireless router to the modem/router gateway in order to get on the xbox 360 s.  Meanwhile at comcast tech department they have no idea of this issue, at least from the four techs i spoke to.  They actually tried to send me to some pay for tech support.  Comcast lets get our act together please and at the very least inform us of what is going on and not having us to tech support your short comings. 

New Visitor
BlondeHare

Finally some answers regarding this terrible problem. I payed 50 dollars to upgrade to the modem with Wifi capabilities only to be disappointed that my newest Xbox 360 S will not connect to it. Everything else will connect except xbox. Its disgusting. My kindle fire, ipod, laptops, even PS3! As technology advances it seems the people of Comcast , Microsoft, and Arris cannot follow. I was on the phone with Comcast all last night to only be sent around to ten people who couldnt help me. Xbox was no help and Im sure Arris will not help me either. Anyone try to turn off WPS and convert your modem to a WEP setting? My xbox has connected to a WEP setting before. Can WPS be turned off? can anyone tell me how? I'm disappointed as a new comcast customer as of yesterday....They taught me alot about routers though... I'm a new expert of all Router codes haha

Contributor
Lerxst28

I just had my service hooked up Friday. Having the same issue w/Xbox on the wireless connection(Arris gateway). Took some messing around and it connects ok to network/internet, but gameplay sluggish, lose connection etc. SUCKS. Got fed up and hooked cable back in it/bypass WiFi and it's fine except now other network PC has no cable. An issue exists for sure. Called Tech/Comcast/Xbox, got same runaround. Comcast wants $79.00.00 fee for extended Router support. Well, thay can take that and shove it. Will just hook up my Cisco WiFi and use it just on the Xbox. Only WiFi unit I have anyway. Cheesy service.

Networking Expert
Baric

Folks, stop messing with the junk gateways, get your own routers.  Don't go to Comcast, they are clueless and just want to sell you a service contract.  Get your gateway replaced with an EMTA or have the gateway bridged by the gateway support folks at 800-363-2416.  These guys are DIFFERENT than the typical phone reps who are really clueless when it comes to router stuff and only suggest you send Comcast more money to fix something that should never have been broken in the first place.  The gateway support folks are generally very knowledgable and technically capable of getting your gateway bridge for no cost which is what the regualr phone reps should have suggested.

Contributor
Lerxst28

Ok, I have a Cisco WiFi stiing aorund that never got used. So if they set the Arris to Bridged mode.....which port do I plug in my Cisco WiFi router to? The gateway doesn't have a WAN port.

Port #1 for instance? Is that how it works? Thanks for the info.

Connection Expert
EG

Lerxst28 wrote:

Port #1 for instance? Is that how it works?

I believe that to be correct.

Networking Expert
Baric

You can plug it into ANY of the LAN ports in the gateway, although most folks use port 1.  Just make sure only the new router is be connected to the gateway once it goes into bridge mode, all other devices connect to the router.

Contributor
Lerxst28

Thanks......problem-o solved.

Called the #...dude put it in Bridge mode....hooked Cisco Internet out to port #1 on Arris....wa-la. 5.4ghz wireless now from Cisco unit.

Internet seems a bit faster also. Yeah, kinda junky piece of equipment they got there.

It works now. Thanks again.

Contributor
Lerxst28

Oh, forgot, Xbox screaming fast now. Have host status connection.

New Visitor
Ho5h1

[ Edited ]

IDK How or why it did it but i was having this issue as well.  I entered info for Passphrase and tried to connect.  Did not work.  LEft xbox on for like 5-10 minutes.  Returned and tried to sign in....SUCCESS!!!  I have no idea why.

Contacted Comcast.....Want me to pay for  advanced tech support to solve this Flocking issue....This is ridiculous to offer us a router modem combo that prevents access from one of the main reasons we need it!

New Visitor
Ho5h1

[ Edited ]

New Visitor
moantrube

Re: Arris TG862G/GT and Static DNS

Okay, the manual for this TG862 is abysmal and comcast has no support. My question is whether I can assign a static ip to one of my networked computers and access it remotely from my laptop via this comcast network.  I have Vista Home premium so may not be able to work arround microsoft's issues with remote access.  Has anyone tried this?  By the way, I also have a cisco router and was thinking of getting rid of it buy after reading these posts decided to keep it.  It has better range than the Assis modem.  Thanks for any thoughts on this. 

Contributor
Lerxst28

Re: Arris TG862G/GT and Static DNS

Mine ias a Cisco/Linksys E3000....it kicks now that I bypassed the Arris POS. I reccomend the Cisco router way over the other.

New Visitor
cstroup

For the last 10 months, I have been one of the technicians that talks Comcast customers through cabling their gateway or side car to their computer, getting connected over the internet, configuring their wireless credentials and connecting all their devices. This Xbox issue is NOT limited to any brand or configuraton of router. It happens with SMC and Arris wireless gateways as well as Netgear, Belkin, and Linksys side car routers. Those are the brands that 99.9% of Comcast customers use. I have personally experienced xboxes that will not connect to the customers' WAP while other devices such as Kindles, iPhones, Androids, HP printers, WinXP, Vista, Win7 and OS X 10.5 - 10.7 will on all of these brands numerous times. It is not an issue specific to Comcast or Arris, it is an xbox issue. Microsoft has as yet not specified which specific setting xbox is crashing on, however, they have not identified which issue causes the Vista Local Only bug either, which fully 1/2 of Vista computers are subject to but does not happen on WinXP, Win7 or Apple computers, or any other devices that use wireless protocols. The fix for this is most often to drop security to WEP.

I just performed a service for a customer who has an Arris TM852G Wireless Gateway where 2 computers would connect through the WG, the xbox would show connected to the SSID but did not have internet access, the normal message noting mtu settings being the problem. I had the customer push and hold the reset on the back of the wireless gateway for 60 seconds, configured the wireless security credentials back to what the customer had changed them to, and the xbox automatically connected and got internet access.

A 60 second reset on the wireless device fixes 90% of all issues. Most xboxes connect with no problem to any of these WAP's. The ones the xbox does not connect to most often have been configured or had their default configuration changed by the in home user. Those where the xbox will not connect can usually be traced to either the WAP or the device attempting to connect.

Contributor
Lerxst28

Dude, I did all those fixes, wasn't the intial Xbox WiFi connection, it was gamepley that sucked..

Freezing up, disconnecting from LIve and such. All I know is the Cisco took off and had no problems since. The Toshiba WiFi router I had from Verizon didn't have any issues either.

Blame game aside, somebody's responsible and neither will own up. Kinda like Democrats & Replubicans.

New Visitor
mojoboy

Same deal here.  I have had Comcast techs out here and they cannot solve the issue.  Xbox 360 S simply will not stay connected.  The tech even stated that the Arris equipment was good but Comcast had a firmware issue when they were introduced that still has not been resolved.  He suggested getting it reset as a bridge and just using my own wireless router instead.  I had Comcast people trying to charge me $30 plus $10 a month to "open ports", another told me that the wireless gateway was not truly designed to be wireless so I needed to connect everything with ethernet cables.  Another told me that it was my Xbox 360 although I stated that I had connected it without incident at a family member's home who has ATT Uverse.  She quickly changed course and then told me that something must be blocking the signal inside my home.  The entertainment that I have missed out on as a result of the connectivity issues has been replaced by the ongoing comedy that is Comcast.  Thanks for the laughs, but c'mon guys get your issues resolved!!!!

New Visitor
Loralei

Same issue here, but I dealt with a great tech, who acknowledged that it is a known issue. Ordered a standard cable modem, and I'll go back to my trusty old Netgear router. Since I can't wait a week to get my game on, I plugged my Netgear router into my POS Arris gateway, and use that just for the Xbox. Works like a champ...looks weird to have a router plugged into the gateway, but I don't care. I left the Netgear open, don't know if it would work with a password or not. Don't be hating on Comcast support either. You will not get anywhere talking to a level 1 support person, but it isn't really a level 1 issue either. So, until there is a firmware upgrade that gets pushed out, I suggest that you call Comcast and request a standard cable modem, and invest in a good router. I like Netgear, but linksys is probably good too. Good Luck!
New Visitor
Loralei

[ Edited ]
Still working great.
New Visitor
faintpremonitio

It's this managed Sites/ Managed Devices nonsense. I was having the same issues reported by others here and I went into the parental controls and turned all that garbage off, and trusted any devises that were currently connected. Xbox connected immediatly after making this change. Using your own router is still better but if you don't have one or cna't afford one right now,this will work in the mean time.

New Visitor
lkirby1976

Re: Arris TG862 Can't download more than 36mg; But i'm paying for 50mb service.

I have had had the Arris TG862 for almost a year i believe. When i received the modem/router, i also got it with the 20mb download service.

i recently upgraded my service to 50mb last week, using the same Arris TG862 modem router; but am not getting anything near 50mb download. it says 36mb download continously. when doing speed test; it seems like the dial wants to easily pass the 36mb download mark, but it does not pass the 36 mark. i've called and spoke to several Comcast reps (6 to be exact); but their incompetence behooves me. no one at comcast knows what to do to resolve my issue. its like their trying to work with the specs of an uninvented iphone of 2020.....ie, impossible. Does anyone hear have any clue as to why i'm only getting 36 mb download. Maybe its a setting i can change within the router. i've checked through each tab, but cannot find anything abnormal with the settings. everything else works fine with the wifi router/modem. please don't refer me to comcast, because not even their technical department has been able to help me.....completely useless department unfortunately (from an IT/technology perspective).  I was advised to go to their local comcast store to upgrade my modem/router. I get there, the rep tells me "only a driver can install a docsis 3.0 router"; and even though im upgrading, they want me to pay $50 for the driver to come out. i left the store with F**k  no, i'm not paying $50 bucks; then called customer service.....to have him tell me that my current router is a docsis 3.0. They are useless.  i like the speed that comcast offers, but the 6th grade level staff has never satisified remotely any problem i have really had.

Can someone please help with my 36mb limit i am having.

Thanks.

New Visitor
Gypsykristan

I would like you to know that I recieved this EXACT BOX three weeks ago from comcast.  I have called in numerous times for this EXACT issue.  ALL of my other wifi based objects connect through the Arris TG862s, but the XBOX 360 s will not.  This is a problem with your equipment, propiotary programming or not.

I WANT MY MONEY BACK.

New Visitor
Gypsykristan

You must work for this 1800 pay for tech service.

Try gettingy our fees out of Comcast.  I assure you, they are charging their customers plenty enough.  They are cheating your company/ techs if they say they can't "afford" to pay you.

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

As has been posted many times before, the TG862G/CT you get from Comcast is a piece of junk.  Either get rid of it or have it bridged by the gateway support folks at 800-363-2416 (no charge) and use your own decent router.  Problem solved.

New Visitor
Fosterr53

I was having a similar problem connecting my Blu-Ray player to Netflix with the built in app. It would connect to the router (Arris TG862g/CT) but it would not connect to the internet' Following a suggestion I read in a previous post , I went into the parental controls section of the router setup. I disabled all of the parental controls and my Blu-Ray connected to Netflix the first time I tried it. It seems the parental controls are enabled by default.

Contributor
Rantipole

Baric,

The reason I liked the TG862... was that it was all-in-one. It sounds like you think the all-in-ones simply aren't worth the effort. Fair enough.

But, then I don't want a box that has wi-fi capability "turned off". That seems to be a waste of space--why have it, if it's just off? So before I call Comcast, do you or anyone know if will Comcast replace this box with the two boxes I will need? (One box for the telephone, and one for the router) For no extra cost?

My issue actually isn't with the X-Box. My iPhone and iPad do not hold their link, and require resetting too frequently. Also, my LG Blu-Ray with wi-fi does not work well either. (If you google it, you will see other people have the same issue) However, my Windows netbook links up just fine. My guess is that they (Arris, Comcast, or both) have lazy developers who have designed the firmware for Windows computers, and have let everyone else deal with the problems.

Networking Expert
Baric

You will have to call Comcast and ask them.  In many areas, they are aware of the problems caused by these gateways and are receptive to replacing them with cable modem/EMTA's so your phone still works.  They may or many not provide the router, and you should look on that as a good thing because whatever they do provide is going to be old and moldy and not anwhere close to a modern, decent model. Always, always, always get your own router.  Never left Comcast provide that, they have no clue what does and doesn't work well with your network, nor what your needs are and their one size fits all approach is the kiss of death when it comes to networking.

While the idea of a single box to handle all the functions is indeed attractive, in reality they are nothing but problems.  These gateways are usually compromised in any number of ways, with missing features, functions that don't work properly, etc.  Yes, a great deal of the blame can probably be laid directly on Comcast and their crappy firmware, but all you have to do is look in the Connection forum to see the problems with other similar gateway models from other manufacturers.  The overwhelming evidence is these gateways are trouble.

Now if someone were to come up with a really good model with top of the line performance and all the features you can find in seperate devices, great, have a ball.  But I haven't seen one, and I suspect the cost would be prohibitive.  And you still have the issue where if one part breaks down, you have to replace the whole unit, which is very likely going to be much more expensive than either the modem or router seperately.  Each user has to make their own decisions based on their own requirements and comfort level.  This user will stay far away from gateways and my advice to others is do the same.  Feel free to disagree with me, it won't hurt my feelings ;-)

New Visitor
SgtDel001

[ Edited ]

talked to xbox and they said this Arris modem is not compatible with xbox 360. They told me to find another modem, Switch the modem to bridge mode and setup my own router, or open my wireless network. I got it to work. go to managed devices under parental control/managed devices. First I tried to un-block my xbox, but the modem immediately re-blocks xbox. Tried disabling managed devices and my xbox now connects through wireless. If you don't know how to identify your xbox with the ip address find out what your mac address is.

Contributor
Rantipole

Thanks, Baric, that makes sense. I used to scoff at people who bought all-in-one stereo systems, so this is kind of the same thing, if you want something that does what it's supposed to do.

Of course, when I got home last night, everything was working fine. :-\ We'll see how long that lasts. Assuming the signal breaks off again, I will probably try the 60-second reset mentioned above. I've never held the reset button for more than a second or two at most. It's worth a shot anyway.

New Visitor
cstroup

A short reset only power cycles the device. A 1 minute reset trips the templet refresh function so that all settings are returned to default. Default for parental controls should be disabled. Default for firewall should be low. Default for DMZ and port forwarding should be off. If any of these settings do not match, then the device is not in the default state as set up by comcast and can cause these types of issues.

Keep in mind that these devices also have a default SSID and password, so if they have been changed, they will need to be changed again.

New Visitor
gtrkev

Re: Arris TG862G/GT and Xbox 360 S -- LAN Problem Solved!

[ Edited ]

Thanks "Reinheimer" for the info!  I couldn't get my local area network (LAN) Computers to see each other, your suggestion did the trick!

<<Go under "Parental Controls" --> Managed Sites (or managed devices) .. trust the computer and you will also see if you are blocking the same device. Once I "trusted" the 360 (10.0.0.X), I started the 360 and POOF it worked. I am online. >>

I thought there was some sort of "firewall" that would not allow one computer to see another on the Arris Xfinity router!  When the tech was here I asked him if he knew any reason why my computers couldn't "see" each other? He said "Nope, it should just work". 

Funny, becase when I plugged them into my cisco 8 port switch, it worked fine. So I knew it was setup OK on the software side.  The Comcast tech actually told me a switch behind the router could "mess things up".  Really?! a non-managed switch?! Really?!

I tried your suggestion of "trusting" each computer and it worked instantly!  Then I trusted my wireless security camera and it worked instantly too.  It was weird, I could see my security camera from outside my network, but not at home. 

This fixed it! 

Thanks.

Contributor
Rantipole

I did a one minute reset, and it did fix the problem for awhile. Maybe a week or so. Then it flaked out last night again. I did a simple reset... nothing. Did the one minute reset, and again it works. Not an acceptable long-term solution, quite frankly, but it will hold me for a couple months, as I simply would prefer not to spend anymore time on this right now.

New Visitor
Hope2Help

If you're looking for a simple fix to get your xbox s w/ kinects to connect to you "lovely" Arris Tg862 modem supplied by Comcast/Xfinity wirelessly, simply change your security mode to "wpa2-psk (AES)" from the "WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES) recommended.

1) open browser and put in 10.0.0.1

2) on the left hand side click "connection"

3) click WiFi

4) click "edit" when it pulls up your wifi network

5) on the pulldown tab next to "security mode" select "WPA2-PSK (AES)

6) click "save settings"

7) go back to XBox and refresh the wireless networks, select your network and connect (make sure you disconnected first)

Hope this helps, it's sort of vague but if, like me, you have been racking your brain trying to figure it out you should have no problems.  Plus, you won't have to pay for a service that should already be provided under the the costs that you already incur.

*note*  If this gets deleted I will be posting it on EVERY forum that I searched and read trying to find a solution..that ended up being rather simple :smileysilly:   and :smileyhappy:~

Contributor

Thanks Hope2Help you saved me hours of wasted time with that post.
New Visitor
JS23HT

PRESS THE RESET ON THE ARRIS AND HOLD IT IN FOR 60 SECONDS, this is the only thing that has worked without getting another router. The reset button is recessed on the top of the rear of the Arris Gateway, it is labeled "reset". I spent hours and did everything in this forum thread, even went out and bought a old white xbox wireless adapter, used a hardwire direct to the Gateway and did every imaginable setting change including set a static IP etc and nothing changed until I held in the reset for 60 seconds (mentioned above in the thread). You will need a paper clip or something small to hold the button. I don't know how long this will work but it is the only thing that made any difference at all.

Comcast also wanted to bill me for extra support and all I asked was to be able to exchange the Arris for a different model Gateway, they did not even answer my question asking if they had another manufacturer or model. Maybe they should read this thread.

New Visitor
CMSTHater12

I am also experiencing problems connecting my Xbox 360 S to my wireless gateway (Arris TG862G/CT).  I have no problems connecting my older Xbox 360 with external wireless network adapter.  I saw several recommendations of EMTAs.  What brands would you recommend?