New Visitor
Quikfeet

Bandwidth Plummeting on Youtube, Netflix, Games, etc.

For the last day or so, every time I get on youtube, netflix, a game, or anything that uses a noticeable amount of bandwidth, my connection completely plummets. If I run a speedtest I get close to 57Mbps down and about 12 up, which is great, but if I open up youtube or any of the above, that speed test will immediately drop to almost nil. Youtube will automatically drop the quality and take an eternity to buffer, if it doesn't just completely stop, games get huge latency, and netflix might as well be playing through a 56k modem. Even websites take forever to load.

I waited about an hour between two customer service calls last night. Eventually I got on the online chat. The customer service agent "refreshed" and power cycled my modem three times. Nothing changed. Seems fast, until I need to use it.

Has anyone else experienced this, or am I going to have to waste a few more hours on the phone with customer service tomorrow?

New Visitor
Jason_damron

Re: Bandwidth Plummeting on Youtube, Netflix, Games, etc.

I'm having the same issue. Worked as Customer Service for them upto about a month ago, worst job of my life. I rent the Arris 862, but every single YouTube video keeps buffering & buffering!! Even my games I play through my Android phone keep losing connectivity! Not to mention every time I turn around the blamed phone disconnects from WiFi because of poor Internet speeds!! Let me know how things turn out for you. If you call, may ask them to do a firmware update (be persistent, don't really take no for N answer, if they say your firmware was just updated, have them roll it back to the previous firmware). Worst case scenario, exchange your modem for another wireless gateway (again, don't take no for an answer & make SURE they choose the option for Free shipping so you're not stuck with a $9.95 Shipping fee when it's their garbage not working!
New Visitor
Quikfeet

I have my own modem and they said the firmware was up to date. They decided to send a tech out today a few hours after my last call (did the stars align or something? I didn't think that was possible). I'll report back.

New Visitor
Jason_damron

[ Edited ]
Just make sure to watch your next bill closely! Every single time a tech ever comes out with Comcast, they usually charge a $60 trouble call fee! Now, you can call in After you receivethe bill & fight it, the rep will always tell you it Cannot be waived, but it definitely can & as long as you are persistent it can be credited back. Ask them to file an ER ticket for it to be credited back or you'll have to cancel service if it can't be waived, then magically they're able to credit it in 3-5 business days. They'll always tell you it won't apply until the next billing cycle but as long as you pay the rest of that bill & remember the credit will show up on your next bill & to just pay the total amount due on the next bill, you can subtract the amount of the trouble call on this bill. Like I said, I just quit working there a couple weeks ago (due to their major ethical issues), as long as you follow this process you shouldn't be charged for the tech coming out.
Contributor
saneman

My netflix has been buffering and freezing in middle of a movie repeatedly since last night. It was working fine for a month, then a couple of days ago, I noticed some of these kind of interrriuptions. Today, it was worse. It took 8 or 9 interruptions where I had to reconnect to netflix or resume a movie in progress.

Are there data caps that could afffect me? I dont download much stuff. But I have been streaming netflix an average of 3 hours a day the last month. This is in Atlanta.