Contributor

Battery for my modem(light flashing)

I noticed yesterday the battery Light for my Arris Gateway Modem was flashing.  I called Comcast and was told a tech would come out and replace it.  The called back about 30 minutes later informing me that they no longer support the battery in the modems.  I explained that every month xfinity(comcast) charges me $7.00 for rental on my modem, and I felt that if should be part of the service.

I just wanted to warn everyone about this....I had to pay $40.95 for a battery from comcast to make sure my family would be able to call 911 in an emergency when the power would be out.

This is the last straw for me.  I have been a customer for over 17 years and will replace all 3 of my xfinity service in my home. 

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Battery for my modem(light flashing)

FWIW, if you have a cordless phone system without a battery backup in the base, it will also go out during a power outage. I always keep a good old fashioned corded phone on hand in case of power outages.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Seen a few posts similar to yours since they changed their policy. I agree, I think they should at least supply the first battery, even if it's a shorter life variety.

I believe there are 3 different types you can buy, with varying standby/call times. FWIW shopping around the internet would probably find a cheaper price, be sure to get the correct type for the modem you have though.

Contributor
rbrusuelas

What is the expected batter life?  My model (TU862) can't be more than a few months old.  My batter light just started flashing... I will be charged to replace it already?  

New Visitor
TLBM7

I have been having so many problems with my wifi, in regards to my iphone and daughters ipod staying connected to the wifi. I called comcast and was told there is an additional charge, monthly for internet support. The rep mentioned to try and unplug the router, take the battery out and then reconnect. So this did resolve the problem. Today, however, the wifi isn't working again. I took a look at my router and now the battery light is flashing. So I went on the forum and saw this post in regards to the battery.

Just weird that yesterday, there was issues and now the battery issue. I have been having so many problems with comcast, and they charge for everything; like insurance monthly for services, charges for internet support and now I see they want to charge how much for a battery and its their equipment!!