Contributor
pwmcgill
Accepted Solution

Belkin N+ Wireless Router Slows Down My Connection Speed

I have a Belkin N+ Router model #F5D8235-4 v3 that I am using with my Comcast RCA Broadband Modem.  I have to reset my router daily or my connection speed slows down to slower than dial up.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this or is there a better router to use?

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: Belkin N+ Wireless Router Slows Down My Connection Speed

pwmcgill wrote:

I have a Belkin N+ Router model #F5D8235-4 v3 that I am using with my Comcast RCA Broadband Modem.  I have to reset my router daily or my connection speed slows down to slower than dial up.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this or is there a better router to use?

Welcome to the Forum Slowdowns are painful. :-(

Two things come to mind, an Internal Failure in the belkin (Contact Belkin Support)

Or perhaps a neighbor is locking on to your router and is busily downloading using your bandwdth.

You can probably log in and cut down your wireless range so they can't see your router or you can go to wpa2 Encryption with a really good Passphrase to block intruders.

Wireless router security settings are in the Sticky Threads at the top of this forum.

Contributor
pwmcgill

Thanks I locked it down when I installed it.  I have updated the firmware on the Belkin to no avail as well.

Connection Expert
JamesR

Can you use performanncee monitor to see if there is network activity going on in the background?

Click Start > Run and type Perfmon in the box and hit enter.

That will show Network actifity and CPU activity.

Check to see what is happening before the failure occurs, while the failure occurs and after you reset the Belkin

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

I.M.O., Belkins bite !! That router is not very highly rated. The NAT tables may be getting saturated and the powercycle operations clear them. Do you do P2P thru that router ? Maybe it isn't handling mutiple concurrent connections very well.. Are you using WEP or WPA wireless encryption ? I've read about major slowdowns with that unit if WEP is used. You could also try disabling the SPI firewall to see if that is causing it.

Email Expert

Yeah, when people ask "What kind of router should I buy", we generally say that it doesn't matter, they're all equally good, with minor feature differences. But Belkin is often the exception to this.

Contributor
pwmcgill

[ Edited ]

JamesR I will monitor this all though it will be difficult because I can not predict when it is going to happen.

Contributor
pwmcgill

[ Edited ]

EG I agree with you on the Belkin.  I am not doing P2P and I am using WPA.  I have not tried disabling the firewall.

Contributor
pwmcgill

[ Edited ]

Agreed Barmar

Contributor
pwmcgill

Here is what I received from Belkin.  Does this sound correct?

The MTU size cannot be changed on the router if the router has been configured for cable/dynamic connection.
However, the MTU size on the computer can be changed. The third party DRTCP software can be used to change the MTU setting.
This can be downloaded from this link - http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

- Download the file "DRTCP021.exe".
- Unzip the Utility to your desktop.
- Run the utility.
- In the "Adapter Settings" drop down, select the ethernet driver and adapter used to connect with the network.
- In the MTU box, type the MTU size as 1400.
- Click in any other box, without changing the data there.
- Click "Apply".
- Click "Exit".
- Restart computer.

That should fix the issue.

Email Expert

I'm not sure why you want to change the MTU, but changing it on the PC should work fine. If the PC's MTU is 1400, the PC won't ever send anything bigger than 1400, and will request that servers send packets smaller than 1400 to it. It doesn't matter that the router's MTU is bigger, because packet sizes are negotiated by the end points.

There could be a problem if you set the PC's MTU higher than the router's, but that's not what's going on.

Networking Expert
kevj

I think you are wasting your time with this device...

see this link and read through the reviews

It looks like many, many other people have had issues with constant unexplained disconnects....although some do report no problems....perhaps it is a build quality and manufacturing QA problem...cheap parts put together shoddily? Some work, some don't....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor
pwmcgill

[ Edited ]

Thanks all.  I fixed the problem yesterday.  I got a new Netgear and placed the Belkin in the junk pile.  I will post the results in a few days but so far so good.

Connection Expert
JamesR

pwmcgill wrote:

Thanks all.  I fixed the problem yesterday.  I got a new Netgear and placed the Belkin in the junk pile.  I will post the results in a few days but so far so good.

Old routers make nice bookends.:smileycool:

Regular Problem Solver

......or paperweights........!

Contributor
pwmcgill

Replacing the Belkin N+ with a Netgear WP5 has fixed the problem.  Thanks all

New Visitor
lordsworkr1

I had the same problem that is listed elsewhere on this forum and on the Web. My Belkin Wireless N Router was slow. (Motorola Cable Modem => Belkin Wireless Router => direct connect to desktop). Using the wireless portion I could utilize full Cable bandwidth. Using the Ethernet cable I could only use 1/7 of the bandwidth. After changing the computer's network adapter from Full Duplex to Half Duplex the problem disappeared. I tried other settings but that seemed to be the one that created the problem. I would suggest that if others have this issue, please try setting to Half Duplex in the Control Panel-Network Connections-Local Area Connections-Properties-Configure-Advanced Tab. (Link Speed & Duplex)

Full Duplex was working for many years just fine with my old ADSL modem. I always received full bandwidth. But for some reason things changed with the cable modem.

So for what it is worth. Give it a try. Recycle all power and maybe it will fix your problem, too.

Networking Expert
kevj

4 yr old thread locked...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true