Contributor
maverickdirk

Belkin Wireless Router VERY Slow. Direct Connection via Modem works great.

We have relocated and have new service installed last week - tested connection for first time today.  Belkin wireless router connection VERY slow - most pages do not resolve (Google will resolve 2 out of 10 times).  Direct connection to laptop (remove Belkin wireless router from the equation) via Comcast supplied modem works great - terrific performance.  Wireless router worked great prior to new service with Comcast - is there something I am missing. 

Many thanks in advance.

Jeff

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: Belkin Wireless Router VERY Slow. Direct Connection via Modem works great.

You need to power cycle or Reset the modem every time you connect something different to it.

I am guessing you hooked the Computer up to the modem first and then pulled it off and connected the router.  At that point the modem is still looking for the Computer.

Power everything down, (Pull power cords from Router and Modem)

Power up Modem and let it stabilize

Power up Router and let it stabilize

Power up Computer and you should be online

Contributor
maverickdirk

Thanks James.  The modem has been cycled successfully.  The laptop will connect per usual to the Wireless Router but the latency is the mystery.  Signal strength is not an issue.  Pages will not resolve 80% of the time when connected wirelessly.

Any additional insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million.

Jeff

Contributor
maverickdirk

Also, please note that the latency behavior is not associated to a specific laptop/computer - it affects all devices that attempt to connect wirelessly. 

Thanks!

Jeff

Connection Expert
JamesR

Can you change the Operating Channel in your wireless router?

Do you have good encryption configured

things that can affect latency include RF interference from Cordless phone systems, neighbors hihacking your Wireless access to the internet.  Another possibility is that you could be connecting to a neighbors Router instead of your own.

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

Things to try:

1. Change the wireless channel on the router.

2. Move the router way from the wall and up to about head height.

3. Reset the router to factory defaults, it might be corrupted internally causing performance problems.

4. Replace the cable between the modem and the router with a good high quality cat5e or cat6 ethernet cable.

5, Go with a better router.  Historically, Belkin has shipped some real duds.

Email Expert

Do you only have this problem with wireless connections to the router, or also wired connections?

Contributor
maverickdirk

The wired ports on the wireless router do appear to be probelmatic as well.  A wired connection straight from the modem (removing the router from the config) provides excellent performance. 

All of the tips have been initiated without success.  Frustrating!

Thanks a million for all of the insight - you all have been great.

Jeff

Connection Expert
JamesR

[ Edited ]

Looks like it might be time for a replacement router?

Networking Expert
Baric

One last thing, upgrade the firmware in the router and then reset it to factory defaults.  Any better?  If not, and you have tried all the suggestions here and nothing works and all connections (wired and wireless) have issues, but direct connecting a computer gets good speeds, then replace the router.  And stay away from Belkin ;-).  I recommend Linksys or Netgear.

Contributor
RJNims

I've been trying to fix this problem for about a week now, and am sorta shocked by the amount of threads about it on the internet that have come to no resolution. As the previous poster stated, I also recently switched to comcast, and my previous provider had no wireless issues through my router. Nothing changed with our set-up aside from the ISP, and now we're getting sub 56k speeds. Firmware is updated. Broadcast channels changed. Multiple devices used. I'll do you one better... multiple routers used,  and the same results. I cannot get a straight answer out of anyone why comcast's internet service reacts poorly compared to my last ISP with multiple wireless routers. If anyone asks me to delete my cookies and power-cycle, I will scream.

Contributor
RJNims

To clarify, I was with a local highspeed ISP, nothing wrong with our setup. Then my housemates wanted cable tv... we switched to comcast. Immediately, our wireless reception via our Linksys router went down to 56k speeds. After trying everything for days, we figure the new upgraded Comcast modem must be too much for our router. We opt for a new router. New router arrives, multiple band Belkin we get the same speed issue. Excellent wireless network quality throughout the house, it's just bottle-necking somewhere, and I can't get anyone to understand, Comcast or Belkin people or otherwise, what's going on. I'm convinced this has to be something simple I'd just have to change some settings on, but all the threads I've seen across the internet get started, a bunch of people pile on and say "Don't blame Comcast! It's your router!" and nothing gets resolved. I'm sorry, but if your internet can't hang with multiple routers when other ISPs can no problem, then its not the internet, it's Comcast's Internet.

Contributor
RJNims

We could have solved this today, but the Comcast technician didn't show during the two hour window we scheduled and we had to leave.

Connection Expert
JamesR

While you wait for the Comcast guys to make it over your way you could gather some data for us so that we can help you.

In order to capture your modem stats:

Open your browser (Internet Explorer or Firefox etc.)
Type the Modem Address in the Address Bar. (192.168.100.1) and hit Enter.
Navigate to the Signals Page
Highlight the information . Hold Left Mouse button down and drag the mouse across the information.
Right Click the Highlighted information
Left Click "Copy" (This will copy the info into the Computer Clipboard)
Then create another Reply here in your thread and right click in the thread and then left click on Paste

Contributor
RJNims

I'm only getting this:

Cable Modem Information Cable Modem : DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant MAC Address : 00:0E:9B:smileylaugh:8:5A:B8 IP Address : 73.246.7.254 IPV6 Address : :: Serial Number : 000E9BD85AB8 Boot Code Version : 2.1.6d Software Version : 2.105.3002 Hardware Version : 1.20 CA Key : Installed

Showing up with a LOGIN tab to the right. Wasn't aware I could log into this modem. Wait... is this my modem? They told me it was docsis 3.

Contributor
RJNims

If anyone could kindly suggest how I get to this information, I'd be glad to post it. None of the regular default Comcast logins (admin/1234, comcast/1234, blank/blank, my own comcast login ID) seem to work.

Contributor
RJNims

N/M gang, I found it via google. There's no tab for signals. Downstream?

Downstream Lock : Locked Downstream Channel Id : 144 Downstream Frequency : 597000000 Hz Downstream Modulation : QAM256 Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4 Downstream Receive Power Level : -0.9 dBmV Downstream SNR : 34.1 dB

Email Expert

RJ, is your problem only with wireless, or do you also get slow speed with wired connections to the router? How about connecting directly to the modem?

We need to narrow down precisely where the problem is.

Contributor
RJNims

Direct connections to the modem work perfectly. Wireless connections through both routers I own, seperate brands, recreated the same sub-0.5mbps speeds, so I never attempted running a wire through either router. As the router was working previously, as of last week, with a different ISP I had narrowed the problem to a Comcast>Wireless issue, and never considered both routers to be somehow defective. The router's locked up in a roomate's room right now, as soon as I have access I'll try to run a wire out of the modem and see if the problem exists that configuration too. But it doesn't seem likely.

Email Expert

[ Edited ]

It's not clear what Comcast could be doing that would only cause performance problems with a router, and not with a direct connection. As far as the modem is concerned, there's no difference -- the router is just another Ethernet device, just like a directly connected PC.

Usually we'd guess it's a problem with the router, but that's unlikely if you've had the problem with two different routers.

If the problem is specific to wireless devices, the most likely cause is interference. I'm not sure why this problem would have started up when you switched providers, though. Unless there's leakage coming from the cable, and it happens to be on the same frequency used by the WiFi. But you said you tried changing wireless channels, which would be the most likely solution to that.

Contributor
RJNims

You're injecting a lot of rational sense to a very irrational problem, thank you. My current theory on this is the modem they gave me is ...sub-par? I may very well be basing my direct connections to the modem observation on a time where I had my previous modem plugged in as a test. The fact I needed Comcast to activate a new one every time I plugged it in halted my problem-elimination chart in my brain before it was fully tested. I'm going to activate my old modem when I get off from work and see if it behaves the same way in every configuration.

If they told me when they hooked me up "this modem is old, we're going to give you a D3 modem, just rent it from us" and visiting the modem's homepage (as I did above) states it's a D2 modem, that could be a problem, yes?

Contributor
maverickdirk

Router replaced - all is well - thanks a million for the support.  Although I found it odd that I had a perfectly functioning router prior to migrating to Comcast, installing a new router solved my issues.  I paid $20 for a refurb from Amazon.com.

All is well - thanks again.

Jeff

Contributor
RJNims

My problem is solved now too. Guess what it ended up being? The modem comcast gave me. To replace my "old and slow" motorola. My old and slow Motorola is now going literally 10x faster than the modem Comcast suggested I rent from them. Obviously, I'm bringing that back.

Thank you again for injecting rational sense into my flustered anger. It made the problem a whole lot simpler to figure out.

Email Expert

I guess the problem when devices like these become commoditized is that a lot of crappy units get shipped.

A few months ago I bought a new Linksys router, and I generally consider them the best of the router manufacturers. I had no problem connecting my Mac to the router, and the router reported that it was getting an IP from Comcast, but it would simply NOT route anything through it.  I returned it to Best Buy and got a Netgear.

New Visitor

Hi, I just purchased a Belkin N750DB router and am ready to hook it up to my Comcast Arris modem.  Before I take it out of its shrink-wrap box, what kind of Belkin router is the subject of discussion here.

New Visitor
dringold

It is very easy to set up the Belkin n750 to work fast.  Go to settings go to intellestream and set the parameters manually.  I set mine to 30 dl and 10 up and I get the exact same speed I get when direct connected, and faster than my netgear when checking on speakeasy.