Contributor
loudonmj
Accepted Solution

Bridge mode for my Router...?

I want to set up bridge mode for my router w/ VOIP. How do I do this? The wireless signal from the Comcast box is not very strong, plus I want to use my own wireless router.

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: Bridge mode for my Router...?

[ Edited ]
Call 1-800Comcast and have tech support do it. Or, send aPM to Comcastlarry and ask him to do it for you.
Contributor
loudonmj

OK - I have put in a PM to ComcastLarry.

BTW - what are good Power and SNR ratios for this router / cable modem? My SNRs are between 35.9 - 36.4 dB, and power levels are between 1.8 - 2.3 dBmV.

Networking Expert
Baric

Those are pretty normal.  I'd prefer the SNR to be higher at 38ish, but it should be fine.  You don't way what gateway you are using, different models have different tolerences, but both your downstream power and SNR fall well within acceptable limits, although you don't mention the upstream power numbers.

Contributor
loudonmj

Upstream power levels are 40.5000 dBmV on both channels.

Contributor
loudonmj

And the model is a SMCD3GNV.

Networking Expert
Baric

Wel, at least the modem side of that gateway looks good.

Contributor
loudonmj

Yeah. My problems are: wireless range (hence need for bridge mode), and bandwidth getting out of Comcast's network. On Comcast's speed test, I get 17 mbps, but to CNET's, I'm lucky to get 3 Mbps...

Contributor
loudonmj

Okay - my own router is now in place, and working! Yay! Bandwidth speeds are up to about 12 - 15 Mbps from CNET - the Comcast speedtest still yields the same figures as before... Hmmm.

Networking Expert
Baric

Do you run the speedtest from a wired computer?  That would eliminate any wireless issues.  Also try http://speedtest.comcast.net to eliminate any issues due to external networks beyond Comcast.  What speed tier do you have?

Visitor
jhshepard19

I have the same issue with my SMC gateway.  I've called Comcast multiple times now and they keep telling me that they do not have the ability to switch the gateway into Bridge mode remotely.  They are also trying to get me to pay for Comcast signature support in order to fix my problem.  Did you have to pay for anything?  Did you solve your problem over the phone or did Comcast Larry fix it for you?  

Contributor
loudonmj

ComcastLarry was the man.

It took a while after that for me to find the right combo of unplugging stuff, replugging it, and power cycling stuff in the right order to get a new DHCP lease. I had to temporarily remove the battery from the SMC, power it off, etc.

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

jhshepard19 wrote:

I have the same issue with my SMC gateway.  I've called Comcast multiple times now and they keep telling me that they do not have the ability to switch the gateway into Bridge mode remotely.  They are also trying to get me to pay for Comcast signature support in order to fix my problem.  Did you have to pay for anything?  Did you solve your problem over the phone or did Comcast Larry fix it for you?  

The regular phone support folks are useless for this, they SHOULD be able to do this, but so many of them are just a waste of space.  You do NOT have to pay for this, this is a normal funciton.  So either send a PM to ComcastLarry and request he do it, or call the folks at 800-363-2416, they can get this done for you pretty quickly.

As for properly resetting the gateway, press and hold the recessed Reset button on the back for 2-5 seconds and the modem will reset and come up in a clean state.  DO NOT HOLD for 15 seconds or more, this will take the gateway out of bridge mode and you will have to contact Comcast to get it set again

Visitor
jhshepard19

I couldn't agree with you more about phone support folks being useless.  Every person I spoke to told me that they weren't the correct department to handle the issue.  They would then put me through to the "correct" department who would proceed to tell me that the first department was wrong and that the first department should be able to handle it.  I tried exchanging the SMC gateway for a basic cable modem and was told that they couldn't do that either.  Regardless of the hassle that is comcast customer support, the phone number Baric provided was the answer.  They were incredibly knowledgeable and fixed the problem in less than 5 minutes.  Thanks Baric for your help.  

Networking Expert
Baric

My pleasure, glad they got things taken care of for you.

Visitor
Popetrix

I will try that number since I have the same problem.

-P

Visitor
JS10

[ Edited ]

Completed the transition in bridge mode

Hello, I am also going to be putting my router(Arris TG862) into bridge mode so I can use OpenDns for parential controls and also for range issues. I have Netgear N900(WNDR4500) router. My question is about the steps to do this process in the right order.

Do I call comcast first to have my router put into bridge mode and then set up my new router, or do I set it up and then call comcast?

Also which router gets pluged into the cable line, do I leave my old router as is (which is pluged into the cable line with the phone line connected to it for comcast Voip(triple play) or do I connect the cable line to the new router and just connect the old router to it with a ethernet cable. Does it matter which port I use the arris tg862 has 4 ethernet connection 1 thru 4.

Thanks for any help

Jeff