Regular Contributor
oMellow
Accepted Solution

Bridge mode

I had my modem placed in bridge mode(Arris TG862) . For some reason they left the wifi active. Anyway I noticed this :

Local Network:Active

Connection Speed:1 GB
IP Address (IPv4):10.0.0.1
IP Address (IPv6):N/A
Subnet mask:255.255.255.0
DHCP Server:Disabled
No of Clients connected:0
DHCP Lease Time:1 Weeks
DHCP:No
Is that right for bridge mode?
Official Employee
ComcastMattV

Re: Bridge mode

plz pm your phone# & I will take care of this 4 u

Thank you

Comcastmattv
Visitor
timbre22

I tried four times with three different comcast techs (one of the techs had no idea what I was talking about....I just gave up on him) to get my gateway put in bridge mode and each time they said they would do it but after each try it is still not in bridge mode.  Can you help me as well? 

Connection Expert
JamesR

Send a private message to Comcastmattv or comcastlarry and ask them to put your modem in bridge mode.

PM can be reached by clicking on the little envelope icon at the upper left of this page

Contributor

I had the same experience, even after I was explicit in what I was asking for and tried to confirm with the tech that they had done what I had asked (enable bridge mode, disable DHCP and WiFi), it took 7 tries to get it right.

jim

Contributor
tashandtom

As directed I have sent an email to both Larry and Matt.  Larry hasn't read my message yet and Matt read his 4 days ago but I haven't heard anything back.  Am I doing something wrong? Is there a different way to get this done?

Connection Expert
EG

Hmmm... You could try these other avenues;

https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect  <<<< Comcast direct forum at the DSLR forums.

https://twitter.com/#!/comcastcares

Contributor
tashandtom

EG - thanks - if I don't hear from them tomorrow I will try there.  Really don't want to go the general support line route as it seems a lot of their support people don't know exactly how to do this. 

Contributor
tashandtom

Beyond frustrated - is it that Larry and Matt just don't care about responding to messages? I have emailed them both and they have both been online MULTIPLE times since I first posted and sent messages.  I have critical needs for getting a different router because you don't let customers manage their own internal network with the modem provided.  I have posted here, messaged them, tweeted to Larry.  NOTHING.  My next efforts will be toward disconnecting my service.  Verizon is starting to look pretty good to me right now.  Can SOMEONE please take responsibity on this board and contact me and follow through until I have my bridge mode setting done correctly?  I would call your 1-800 COMCAST number but all of your forums are RIDDLED with examples of them not knowing how to do this task and inevitibly they are sent to this forum and told to post to Matt and Larry.  Would be great if Matt or Larry could call me.  I sent them my phone number in the direct messages.  THANKS - heading in on TWO WEEKS with this unresolved.... 

I guess COMCAST CARES is just a slogan

Contributor
tashandtom

[ Edited ]

Wow - nearly three weeks to get a response - I do now finally have my modem in bridge mode.  At nearly $2,400 per year for my triple play I would have expected a little better than three weeks with no answer to a public forum posting, direct messages and even tweet posts on Larry's feed.  Instead, they just went and did it out of no where - no phone call to let me know they had finally decided to do me this great favor.  Instead, from my perspective, my internet just stopped working.  If I had an employee do this miserably at their job, I'd fire them.  Let's just say, I am looking into DirectTv now

Contributor
Milehigh3

I've stumbled into this issue after getting a new Arris Gateway modem, I have both internet and voice on my account.  I followed instructions here to enable the bridge mode of the Arris, and thought it was done, but noticed in the admin section of the modem that DHCP is still enabled... I have a high-end ASUS router that worked beautifully before the new modem and want that to handle my wireless and DHCP.  If DHCP is enabled, I assume I am NOT in bridge mode, correct?

I have frequent drops where the internet is not accessible after working fine, when this occurs I cannot even connect to the Arris gateway to check status or connectivity.  This is extremely frustrating and my wife is upset when she cannot access her websites or even email when connectivity drops.

In addition, I have to IP cameras that can  be accessed fine through my internal network, but are now inaccessible from my phone and port forwarding does not seem to work... I think it has to do with the DHCP enabled on the modem, as the port forwarding of my router worked fine before.  Please advise on these issues...

How do you know when you are truly in bridge mode?

Will bridge mode fix my issues with IP camera access from my phone?

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

FWIW, here is what they need to do to for them to enable and verify that the modem is in full bridge mode.

For the Arris devices bridge mode can be enabled in 2 ways. There is a 1 button GUI click method, and there is a way for them to log into the Arris modem management page to enable the bridge mode. Not the Xfinity management page by the way. So if you call in to have it bridged and your wifi light is still on after that, they have done it wrong.

You need to have them go into the Arris management page and then go to Advanced (requires password of the day) --> MSO features --> then

Bridge Mode -- Enabled
Wifi - Disable
LAN DHCP - Disable

then have them reset the modem. If they dont follow those specific steps chances are your modem isnt fully in bridge mode and you may continue to have problems.

Contributor
Milehigh3

Thanks EG, after spending an hour with "Signature" support trying to put me on a paid support plan and me arguing the whole time, I was transferred back to Tier 1 support... at least the guy didn't have any accent and I could understand him better. I'm going to swap out the Arris for a straight Docsis 3 modem, this is ridiculous and as a consumer paying close to $200 a month, I should not be required to pay to get the service I'm already supposed to have.
Connection Expert
EG

Even better !

Contributor
tashandtom

It is stupid to think that we pay almost $2,400 a year for this "service" and then they want to jack you to help you get it to work.  I waited nearly three weeks and then they did it out of the blue and had sent me a message even though I asked them to call me - because you know - if they change your configuration and you suddenly can't get on the network you can't get that message....

DirectTv is looking better and better to me

Contributor
Milehigh3

Well, follow-up on my issue... after nothing but problems with 862, a local Tier 1 guys says he can send me a straight through cable modem, I'm like great, that should work... but rather than wait 3-5 days to ship here, I told him I'd prefer to go to a local service outlet and pick one up instead of waiting. Packed up the family and go to one near my work, and they don't have a Docsis 3 modem in stock, nor does the next closest outlet that is actually open on a Saturday. The rep at the local store ends up switching out the 862 for another brand new one, but adds a battery as neither of my first two had one... I told her that wasn't the problem, but go ahead and through it in. So back to the house with my 3rd TG862, and another 45 minutes to activate it. At any rate, I called trying to enable bridge mode again and after waiting on hold for 10 minutes I gave up and tried the Live Chat option. Got a hold of someone named Lovelee who indicated she could do it, and I cut & pasted directions from this forum.... 5 minutes later I'm actually in bridge mode! Internet is fast, no dropped web pages, my IP cams are suddenly viewable again... all is well. Works flawlessly today, amazing that the bridge mode is all it took. Great advice, thanks to those that suggested it, and shame on support people for even suggesting it was my computers or router causing the issue when they all worked fine before changing out equipment 3 weeks ago. Also, shame on Signature Support for trying to up sell a monthly tech support plan.
Connection Expert
JamesR

Glad you got it going.:smileycool:

Regular Contributor

Milehigh, since I'm going to need to do this for someone in short order later this week (it can't take days), do you happen to recall which avenue of chat you ventured down?

It would be one of the ones under "Trouble," but which specifically?  Perhaps Internet/Other?

https://www.comcastsupport.com/ChatEntry

Contributor
Milehigh3

That sounds right, I accessed the Live Chat option and I believe that was sub-selection I used. Good luck with it.
New Visitor
damienb

I have an Arris TG862 Wireless Gateway and wanted to be able to turn the wireless signal off and on myself. Comcast Tech Support (tier 1) in my first call said I could do it myself using the web interface; at the end of my second call, they told me (after apparently checking with tier 2) that neither I nor they could turn off the wireless =signal=, only WIFI.

It's my understanding that the purpose of turning on Bridge mode is to allow the user to use a router with the Wireless Gateway.

When I used a router with a regular Comcast Motorla cable modem, the router's web interface allowed me to turn off the wireless signal broadcast by the router.

Please tell me whether turning on Bridge mode turns off the wireless signal, or does it leave it on.

Thanks!

Connection Expert
EG

damienb wrote:

Please tell me whether turning on Bridge mode turns off the wireless signal, or does it leave it on.

Thanks!

See post number 12 in this thread for what they need to do.

New Visitor
damienb

Thanks for your reply.

Post number 12 in this thread describes what they need to do, but can you confirm whether turning on Bridge mode turns off the wireless =signal=, or does it leave it on?

It's not clear whether disabling WIFI in MSO features means disabling the Network SSID (which is supposed to prevent WIFI reception), or means turning off the wireless signal.

Thanks.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

It's two separate functions and they need to do both. Actually, they need to do all three. Turning off the WiFi turns off the wireless radio so therefore no SSID can be broadcast.

Visitor

I must be lucky today.  I used the Comcast Live Chat.  Jose was able to Bridge my TG862G (Bridge - On, WiFi - off, DHCP - Off when I asked him).  My ASUS dual band appears to be working fine!!  I need to by a LOTTO while my luck is good.  I can use the money for the Comcast bill.  LOL

Connection Expert
JamesR

Way to go!  Thanks for posting your success story. :smileycool:

New Visitor
damienb

Today I gave your procedure to Tech Support in a chat and they said they did it. Now the WIFI light on the Network Gateway is off, and I cannot access WIFI, so it seems like they did it correctly. (Next I'll be connecting my router and having it control the WIFI signal.)

The one thing I'm wondering is that I can no longer access the Wireless Gateway's Login page at http://10.0.0.1. Is that normal after switching to bridge mode?

Connection Expert
EG

Yes, that's typical. I'm not certain because of these recent firmware updates and rollbacks but you may be able to access the signal status / error log of the modem component of the device using http://192.168.100.1

Would appreciate if you post back whether it works or not !

Regular Contributor

Yes, others have reported that 100.1 does get you to a subset of items, perhaps all that you'd need for bridged mode (though apparently no way to reboot the device from the site), but the 10.x site was still available with earlier firmwares, putting in doubt whether any of this is by design.

New Visitor
damienb

Yes, I can access the signal status / error log of the modem component using that URL.

There's also a tab for the Network Gateway login. I wasn't able to log in because it said my password is not valid. I'm pretty sure I entered the right one; I did write it down in a file but apparently the file was not saved after I did so. :smileyhappy:

I know I can reset the password by using the Reset on the back of the device, but I suspect that will undo the switch to bridge mode; and since I got that done in one minute (as opposed to the 2 hours I spent on Comcast's phone support just to get an answer that would take a knowledgable rep 5 seconds to answer), I don't want to take a chance on having to do it again and getting someone who could not do it properly.

Connection Expert
EG

Thanks for replying ! From what I have read, if you hold in the recessed reset button for 15 seconds or more, this results in a full factory reset to defaults and un-does the bridging. A short push (2-3 seconds) acts like a simple powercycle of the device.

Contributor

I have the SMC Networks smcd3gnv. Can this be placed into Bridged mode.

I was in a chat yesterday with a comcast tech, he said it was placed into Bridged mode, but alas... it's not... :smileysad:

Contributor

fhlh wrote:

I was in a chat yesterday with a comcast tech, he said it was placed into Bridged mode, but alas... it's not... :smileysad:

guess not

Connection Expert
EG

fhlh wrote:

fhlh wrote:

guess not

Yes. They can bridge that model as well.

New Visitor
GoranB

I had to reset my modem to factory settings after firmware upgrade because of service down. When I called back to have it put back into bridge mode they kept trying to sell me the Signature service at $39.99 one time + $15/mo. Do they realize how annoying it is when you have an issue to resolve and somebody is trying to sell you something you don't need. I don't need ongoing support. All I need is 2 seconds it takes to set the modem in bridge mode or even better, allow me to do this directly on the modem. What a stupid stupid system.

Contributor
Milehigh3

Mine got reset and I lost bridge mode the other day, took me a few hours to figure out what happened. One time with online chat and bridge mode was re-enabled fixing me up again. It is a PITA to have to do that...
Visitor
mrbonine

Please Help!  I was on 8 or 9 chat sessions with customer support on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Apparently, my SMC D3GNV   (space added) popped out of bridge mode, likely when new firmware got pushed to the device (I noticed to LANs suddenly - it took me a while to figure out why).  I can't call on the phone because of past experience - the platitudes and assurances seem much more personal and unacceptable when spoken. 

Every single person in every single chat assured me they could put the device in bridge mode and it never worked.  It's hard to believe they were doing it correctly, but it may be that I have a problem on my end.  I eliminated all other connections and possible access, restarted everything in the right order (as instructed), but still no bridge.

Please help!  And please someone on Comcast allow the end user to configure this themselves.  I'm relatively happy with Comcast, except when I have to call or chat with customer support.  The last time I called I was assured I could get my DVR output on all of my Comcast TV boxes, but would have to exchange them.  Also assured I could achieve that for no extra money out of pocket or monthly.  Rather than disconnect everything, I drove down to the helpful office here in San Jose and was told that it could all be the way I was originally promised, and then told by customer support, but it would cost a one-time fee and an extra monthly payment (to my $150+/month bill).  The agent there didn't roll her eyes when I told her what I had been told (promised) on the phone, but she wasn't surprised, and it made her a little more frustrated. 

So, even though this is two topics:

- Please force the modem/gateway to bridge and don't hesitate to call me on my cell (happy to provide) to avoid having to have a tech come out.

- Please refer me to someone at Comcast who will live up the guarantee stated.  Better yet, will provide the service promised at install and by customer service, but then denied by customer service.  

Moving into angry rant phase, please delete if offensive or inappropriate:

If you wish to forward this to anyone who wants to know "Why are customers leaving Cable for ......." all the other services, the lack of real customer service,  the turnkey of it (the voice side at least) to an absolutely terrible company (apparently) in the Philippines, and the promises and commitments made that are not correct, or at least not consistent is why.  Any representative of the company making promises needs to understand that every time they provide advice, customers have every right to believe them and demand exactly what is promised.  Otherwise, any contract, no matter how worded is simply void.

I don't know how to drive that last point home, but whatever works culturally and legally is needed to  stop these platitudes and empty assurances needs to happen.  Maybe it would seem like a reward, but fly some people out here to people's homes, give them the manuals, access to the equipment, and deliver what was promised, for the price promised.  It's not about shame or embarrassment of individuals, its about accountability and meeting contractual obligations.  

Ending angry rant.

Please help.  I don't know what else I can do but ask here.  Unless I need to call the guy who puts his face on  the guarantee.  In that case I'd need his office number (direct).  No need for toll free- I'm happy to pay for the call if someone really will listen, put measurable metrics in place, have honest third-party do the measurements (or audit and verify them to be correct) and publish it all on the Comcast web site.  That is what really needs to be done.  The board of directors should have done this (publicly) years ago and there is just too much money in the organization for someone to care, apparently.  BTW , this is the kind of program that should be designed, driven, and managed by the employees - put a team together, and if you don't know how, hire a consultant to teach Comcast.  I will volunteer any time I can to help this - I've done most of it, but it's been a while.  

Given my limitations, I will start my opening offer at 10 hours per week for a negotiated number of weeks, for $0 compensation of any kind.  I do not wish to travel or spend money, so any actual expenses would be as close to $0 as possible.  This is a huge project, but we can move the needle in the right direction from a dead start in under 9 months, under 6 if we can....too long.....

Networking Expert
kevj
Official Employee
ComcastTuska

mrbonine wrote:

Please Help!  I was on 8 or 9 chat sessions with customer support on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Apparently, my SMC D3GNV   (space added) popped out of bridge mode, likely when new firmware got pushed to the device (I noticed to LANs suddenly - it took me a while to figure out why).  I can't call on the phone because of past experience - the platitudes and assurances seem much more personal and unacceptable when spoken. 

Your modem is in bridge mode..

Senior Network Engineer, Comcast
v6 Project
Regular Contributor
dougkinzinger

ComcastTuska - mine did too, just last night! It's out of bridge mode, and the 800COMCAST guy I'm on the phone with can't figure out how to put it back into bridge mode. Can you help, so kindly??

Doug

Official Employee
ComcastTuska

dougkinzinger wrote:

ComcastTuska - mine did too, just last night! It's out of bridge mode, and the 800COMCAST guy I'm on the phone with can't figure out how to put it back into bridge mode. Can you help, so kindly??

Doug

Yuo can tell support to login to the Xfinity Modem page it is the first page and it says Bridge (Enable\Disable)..

Senior Network Engineer, Comcast
v6 Project
Regular Contributor
dougkinzinger

Thanks for the reply! However, they're now telling me their system says "invalid MAC address." I've verified the MAC from the modem itself and it hasn't changed. Any suggestions now?

Regular Contributor
dougkinzinger

I suppose I can live in a double-NAT'ed mode, but I'd rather not. I mean, there are worse things in life, but still.

Regular Contributor
dougkinzinger

They escalated me to Tier 2 and I am to expect a phone call in 24-72 hours. OK then. For now, double-NAT'ville it is.

Regular Contributor
dougkinzinger

Well someone did something - I'm back in bridge mode! To whomever did it, thanks kindly, much appreciated.

New Visitor
darrenge

How do you know DHCP is disabled? 

IPConfig /all shows several DHCP settings.  The settings in the modem showed it as enabled but maybe I was looking at the wrong place.  The online chat person said that putting it in bridge mode automatically turns off DHCP.

For me, everything was working then we had wide spread cable issues through out the neighborhood for couple weeks.  Comcast had guys out in the road fixing things etc but the cable went out several times.  After they got it back going, I was unable to get to my IP camera through the web.  I can get to it internally and it is working fine, just not the port forwarding part (which used to work). 

Like Milehigh3 was saying, I think it has to do with my DHCP setting.  The WiFi part is disabled and all that is working just fine. Will bridge mode fix my issues with IP camera access to the web?

Connection Expert
EG
New Visitor
JoeyNice

[ Edited ]

PLEASE help me with Bridge mode setup for Arris Gateway.

THANK YOU

Connection Expert
EG

JoeyNice wrote:

PLEASE help me with Bridge mode setup for Arris Gateway.

THANK YOU

Please re-read this thread. Try calling in or live chat.

New Visitor
JoeyNice

I did call and it was a waste of oxygen  :smileysad:

Connection Expert
EG