New Visitor
gbnjax

Bundled internet,voice,phone - moving internet & needing wireless

Hi..am in the process of moving my office to another room.  I currently have the Arris connection for the phone, internet and cable.  A couple of questions on moving it and hooking up a wireless connection:

1. I am "assuming" that I can just move the Arris connetor to another room where there is a comcast cable connection, phone connection and (of course) plug; is my assumption correct?
  2. My current computer is ethernet hardwired to the Arris; I want to install 2 seperate wireless computers to the internet instead of hardwiring them.  If I need a router, what is "your" recommendation and what is the best way to do this?

Since I often work from home, this really needs to be a smooth transition...please help!

Thank you so much!

gbnjax

Service Expert
Bartleby

Re: Bundled internet,voice,phone - moving internet & needing wireless

gbnjax wrote:

Hi..am in the process of moving my office to another room.  I currently have the Arris connection for the phone, internet and cable.  A couple of questions on moving it and hooking up a wireless connection:

1. I am "assuming" that I can just move the Arris connetor to another room where there is a comcast cable connection, phone connection and (of course) plug; is my assumption correct?

Not necessarily...it depends on how your home is wired, and what splitters may exist between the incoming cable run to your home, and the room you want to move things to.

1. My current computer is ethernet hardwired to the Arris; I want to install 2 seperate wireless computers to the internet instead of hardwiring them.  If I need a router, what is "your" recommendation and what is the best way to do this?

See the sticky post near the top of this board's message listing for guidance on choosing a router.  Once you decide on a router, the basic approach is to switch the ethernet connection from your system to the router (WAN side).  You'll need to use the eMTA's reset button to allow it to recognize the new router.

Since I often work from home, this really needs to be a smooth transition...please help!

Thank you so much!

gbnjax

New Visitor
gbnjax

Thank you for your response, Bartleby!

In regards to the 1st question, I suppose the best way to see if everything will work is to move the Arris box, hook everything up, cross my fingers and hope it works!  Will let you know.

2nd question - think I'll get the Linksys router since the instructions seem pretty straight forward.  Thanks!

Service Expert
Bartleby

You're welcome.

As far as the router, Linksys is certainly a reasonable choice maker-wise.

And short of having Comcast come and make the switch (for a service call fee, of course), your approach is a strategy.  Do you know much about how things currently run, cable-wise?  For the best performance, fewer splitters (with appropriate signal capabilities) is important.

Another thing to consider is how your home phones are wired.  Just because you have access to a phone jack in the new location doesn't mean it will allow you to have every phone in the house covered by the eMTA.  Chances are the original install tech chose the current location because it provided access to the proper phone wiring node to do that.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

FWIW, all of the existing telco wiring in your home should be hooked up in a looped configuration and should be able to be backfed by connecting the eMTA to any phone jack located anywhere which should provide phone service on all jacks. "Should" being the operative word here. YMMV. 

Service Expert
Bartleby

Thanks for chiming in, EG.  The phone wiring is probably less of a concern than the quality of the cable to eMTA connection in the OP's desired new location for it.  But I've seen some pretty crazy phone wiring.

Connection Expert
EG

Hey.. You know me sir ! I'm just ever lurking (lord help me)... LOLLL !!! :smileysilly: