New Visitor

Cable modem to router to access point- connectabilty issue

I have just had Comcast install the Arris TM402P dual modem (feeding phone and high speed internet).  The installer left with it hooked directly to my computer.  He told me to wait an hour, then hook the modems output into my Belkin router.  I now have a configuration where the comcast modem feeds the Belkin router which feeds 1) a Netgear WPN802 wireless access point, and 2) my main computer.  

I shut everything off.  Reset the modem.  Waited the modem to lock on.  Then plugged in the belkin router.  Waited for it to lock.  Then turned on the Netgear access point.  So, now my computer is working fine.  It sees the internet fine.  But I cannot connect with my access point like I used to be able to when I had DSL.  I used to be able to enter into my browser: http://192.168.0.231, and I'd get access to all of the controls for the netgear access point. I now get nothing when I try to streer to that IP.  And the computers that rely on the access point for their web access see the ssid, but they can't connect to it.

Anybody have any ideas here.  Seems to me it's a DHCP issue, but I don't know my way around it.  Clearly the belkin router is not sharing well with the netgear access point, and I don't know how to resolve the issue.

HELP Please!

--Mark
Bronze Star Contributor
thecreator65

Re: Cable modem to router to access point- connectabilty issue

I have just had Comcast install the Arris TM402P dual modem (feeding phone and high speed internet).  The installer left with it hooked directly to my computer.  He told me to wait an hour, then hook the modems output into my Belkin router.  I now have a configuration where the comcast modem feeds the Belkin router which feeds 1) a Netgear WPN802 wireless access point, and 2) my main computer.  

I shut everything off.  Reset the modem.  Waited the modem to lock on.  Then plugged in the belkin router.  Waited for it to lock.  Then turned on the Netgear access point.  So, now my computer is working fine.  It sees the internet fine.  But I cannot connect with my access point like I used to be able to when I had DSL.  I used to be able to enter into my browser: http://192.168.0.231, and I'd get access to all of the controls for the netgear access point. I now get nothing when I try to streer to that IP.  And the computers that rely on the access point for their web access see the ssid, but they can't connect to it.

Anybody have any ideas here.  Seems to me it's a DHCP issue, but I don't know my way around it.  Clearly the belkin router is not sharing well with the netgear access point, and I don't know how to resolve the issue.

HELP Please!

Hi Mark,

You mentioned that you had DSL.  Treat your Netgear WPN802 wireless access point as completely new and start from scratch when configuring your Netgear WPN802 wireless access point. You probably had the Netgear WPN802 wireless access point configured for DSL at one point and when you got the Cable system, did not reconfigur it.

I cannot configure the access point from a browser.
Check these items:
• The WPN802 is properly installed, LAN connections are OK, and it is powered on.
Check that the LAN port LED is green to verify that the Ethernet connection is OK.
• If you are using the NetBIOS name of the WPN802 to connect, ensure that your PC
and the WPN802 are on the same network segment or that there is a WINS server on
your network.
• If your PC uses a Fixed (Static) IP address, ensure that it is using an IP Address in the
range of the WPN802. The WPN802 default IP Address is 192.168.0.231 and the
default Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0. The WPN802 default setting is for a static IP
address. If the network where you are connecting it is using DHCP, configure it
accordingly. See the Reference Manual on the Resource CD for the Wireless Access
Point for more details.

thecreator -