Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can Comcast set-top boxes do MoCA?

[ Edited ]

In the diagnostic screens for my old Motorola DCT3416 and DCT6412 DVRs, I see something I have never noticed before.

Under diagnostic d11, "Interface/Port Status", there are the following lines:

ENABLED  ACTIVE

MoCA AUTHORIZED          NO         NO

Internal                     YES        NO

External                    YES        YES

This is very interesting! Could it be possible that Comcast DVRs can be configured to support MoCA (Multimedia over Coax) networking?

Is this something I can order from Comcast? I found no mention of it anywhere on the web site. Or is it just one more unused capability of the Motorola hardware platform?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Can Comcast set-top boxes do MoCA?

[ Edited ]

Even if those are in the menu, those old boxes do not support MOCA in any form, the only Moto box supporting MOCA is the DCX3400M HD DVR and the DCX3200M HD set top box, and then only for the AnyRoom DVR option which needs to be enabled on the subscribers account.  The AnyRoom DVR does use MOCA to talk and send shows between the master DVR and the remote boxes.

Those menus are pretty much generic for all Motorola hardware platforms if the hardware supports it or not.  Similar phony menus are listings for two tuners, on a one tuner set top box, or hard drive information on a non DVR box.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply, I was afraid that was the answer.

It would be so perfect if the Moto boxes automagically carried my home network via MoCA. I have 3 DVRs, and each of them is where I need my network to be as well. Those unused Ethernet ports are just taunting me.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

There's always the ethernet over MOCA adapters like from Netgear and Actiontec, along with the ethernet powerline adapters from Linksys and Netgear to get your network where you need it.

I know it's a hassle to string CAT 5E or CAT 6 all over the house.

Regular Contributor

JayInAlg wrote:

There's always the ethernet over MOCA adapters like from Netgear and Actiontec, along with the ethernet powerline adapters from Linksys and Netgear to get your network where you need it.

I know. I already tried Ethernet over power line. It failed because source and destination are on different 115v legs of the home 230v power and I don't feel like rewiring.

I probably will go with external MoCA adapters, but gosh-darn [bad word bowderlized by this forum]! Those Comcast boxes are already hooked up to the coax and have Ethernet jacks! Knowing Comcast, you'd think they'd be happy to charge me an extra $10/month for connectivity and spare me the extra boxes. They could call it XfiniNet for all I care.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

I'm with you on how sometimes the powerline doesn't work against the phases, I've had to try some and give up.  Then I did have better luck with the Linksys than the Netgear ones.

Good idea on the networking on the boxes, there is such a need these days for networking at every point there is a TV or Blu-Ray or similar device needing internet access.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

MoCA is superior to powerline ethernet adapters. It is faster, has more bandwidth capability, and is far less susceptible to any line noise ingress due to coax cable's inherent capabilities and the nature of its shielding. Too bad that it costs so much but I suspect that in the future it will come down.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

I totally agree with EG, MOCA is a great alternative to running ethernet if the coax is in the right places.

Regular Contributor

I picked up a pair of Netgear MoCA boxes at Fry's. They work great. I'm getting the same speed as I would from a long blue wire, and I didn't even have to upgrade to 2 GHz coax splitters. Of course, at $200 for the pair, they ought to work great.

Regular Contributor

I had a  Netgear Moca set up and just had anyroom DVR installed.  I can't seem to make both coexist.  Any suggestions?  What frequency does the Comcast anyroom DVR operate on? 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

You might be able to find the MOCA freq in the diag menu.  I believe it is running at 1.15ghz.  Turn off the DVR with the Comcast remote and withing 2 seconds press the OK button, the diag screen will come up.  There should be a page with the MOCA details.

I guess you will need to play with the channels on the Netgear to make sure the freq's not close.   Did the tech rewire the place?  If you unplug the Comcast DVR and remote boxes, do your Netgear devices start working again?

Regular Contributor

The Moca was working but we couldn't get the anyroom DVR to work---We=Comcast tech & I.  I suggested putting on splitters and then they both worked.  That was yesterday afternoon.  I asked him if the splitters were high speed and he said they were.  This morning anyroom DVR was struggling and choking then would quit working all together.  I unplugged all the Moca devices and reset the set top boxes, it now works fine. 

Since I first posted it occurred to me to go look at the splitters in the cable box outside the house.  They are only good to 1000 and I reviewed the ones at the install point inside and they are the same.  Based on what I have read about Moca installations elsewhere on the internet I believe all of these have to be replaced with 2 ghrz splitters to have any change to work.  I wll order some and hopefully this will work.  Won't get a chance to install until they get here---hopefully by next weekend.  Will let you know what happens.  Thanks

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

The Comcast 1Ghz splitters work on MOCA, it is not that far out of range not to work as they do not have a sharp dropoff.  2ghz splitters are designed for satellite, if the Comcast tech comes back out, he most likely will take a 2ghz splitter out.

What did you find out about the frequencies on the Netgear equipment?

Regular Contributor

Consumer market Moca is designed to work above 1000 to avoid conflict with both Cable and Satellite systems.  Based on what I have read, they can coexist with the Moca system that Fios uses as they will let you use their Moca boxes for home network.  Hopefully, comcast will eventually realize this is a benefit to offer customers and embrace it and charge for it since they help fund Moca development.  Netgear MCAB1001 operatates between 1000-1500. 

Will let you know results after I get proper splitters.  Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Ok, follow up:

After replacing all splitters with Monster 2 gz splitters and splitting at the end point, one to Motorola set top box and one to netgear MOCA device, all works great.  Any room DVR works fine and personal MOCA network works great.  Did have a problem with signal degradation in the middle of the process, got call from Comcast home repair.  Turns out comcast repair guy that came out to set up the anyroom dvr wired the system up incorrectly out at the box when he changed splitters out there.  We replaced all splitters with Monster 2.0 gz splitter, tech had no issue with it and now all is working great. 

This would be much less hassle if Comcast would get smart and unleash the MOCA built into the Motorola boxes for consumer in house use.  They could even charge extra for it.  Imagine that, a greater level of customer service and satisfaction, and an additional revenue stream for Comcast.