Visitor
Accepted Solution

Can a modem or firewall block a router from connecting to the internet?

I have tried unsuccessfully to connect a router to my modem..  The first was a Lynksys, but it was an older slow router so I thought it was because of that.  I bought a high speed Belkin and I am having the same problem.  Belkin Tech support could not get it to connect and Comcast support wasn't.  I am getting very frustrated.  When the router is connected We can see it from the laptop but there is no internet and the PC says the modem is disconnected.  We have rebooted everything, even used the resets, but we haven't gotten anything to work.  I think that it might have something to do with the RCA Comcast modem or a firewall problem.  Any suggestions?
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Can a modem or firewall block a router from connecting to the internet?

Kaptin-Jer wrote:
I have tried unsuccessfully to connect a router to my modem..  The first was a Lynksys, but it was an older slow router so I thought it was because of that.  I bought a high speed Belkin and I am having the same problem.  Belkin Tech support could not get it to connect and Comcast support wasn't.  I am getting very frustrated.  When the router is connected We can see it from the laptop but there is no internet and the PC says the modem is disconnected.  We have rebooted everything, even used the resets, but we haven't gotten anything to work.  I think that it might have something to do with the RCA Comcast modem or a firewall problem.  Any suggestions?

I know you said you rebooted everything but try again using the following procedure. You must power cycle the modem correctly everytime you change the device connected to it. If you have a telephony type modem you must use its reset button to override battery power.

Standard Power Cycle Procedure

Turn everything off – cable modem, router, PC(s) – and let them sit for a few minutes. If you have a modem that has a battery backup (telephony modems often do), press and hold its reset button until the modem reboots itself.

The order in which you do the following steps is critical - don't improvise! Turn on the cable modem, and let it come all the way up. Connect the WAN port (the one that’s by itself) of the router to the cable modem, and turn on the router. Wait for the router to come all the way up. Connect your PC to one of the LAN ports (there are usually 4 of them, grouped together), on the router. Repeat for any other hard-wired PCs. If you are not using a router, connect the PC to the modem and boot the PC.

Last, if you are using wifi, boot up your wireless PC/laptop and let it find the wireless signal. Once it’s working properly, check the top thread in the Home Networking forum about how to secure the wireless connection and prevent others from stealing your bandwidth.

Visitor

[ Edited ]
This is just a copy of what has been posted previously.  I have been through these steps (as I said) many times.  You did not address my question. a simple yes or no or even I don't know would be ok.
Message Edited by Kaptin-Jer on 09-21-2009 05:44 AM
Bronze Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

Kaptin-Jer wrote:
This is just a copy of what has been posted previously.  I have been through these steps (as I said) many times.  You did not address my question. a simple yes or no or even I don't know would be ok.
Message Edited by Kaptin-Jer on 09-21-2009 05:44 AM

It is standard troubleshooting procedure to rule out the simple and most probable contributors first. Your question does not make sense so I decided to help you by eliminating the potential basic issues first. Hope you find a solution.

Oh yes, as to your question, it depends on their configuration, connections, and your system/LAN set-up. So you did not provide enough information for me to provide a yes or no answer.

In general for a correctly configured and connected system, the answer is no. Does that help? If as I suspect not, the next troubleshooting step would be for you to post an ipconfig /all and a description of your configuration and connections.

Good luck.

Message Edited by FishMan on 09-21-2009 06:53 AM
Regular Problem Solver

Kaptin - Can you connect your laptop directly to the modem and, by resetting the modem, get a working internet connection? The same modem reset that you need when switching to a different computer should definitely work when connecting the router. The modem neither knows nor cares what type of device is connected to it. Anything that has a 10/100 ethernet connection and uses basic TCP/IP networking with DHCP and DNS should work.

Posting model numbers of your modem and routers would be helpful.

Networking Expert
Baric

This has nothing to do with a firewall, unless you have some kind of firewall device between the router and the modem.  As others have stated, the normal cause of this is improper or missing reset on the cable modem.  Another typical cause is an improperly configured router, such as not being setup to retrieve and IP address from Comcast via DHCP, etc.  Other causes include hardare problems, etc.

How was the cable modem connected before, physically?  Did you use a USB cable?  What does ipconfig /all say when connected to the router and directly to the cable modem?  What do the router Setup and Status pages say when connected to the modem?  Be extremely specific, do not generalize, use copy/paste, etc.

Visitor

[ Edited ]
Thanks Guys, I finally got hold of a tech support person who knew what she was doing (could hardly speak English but---) She set the router by changing a lot of the settings... No turning anything off or on just changing settings in the setup software. If I could remember them all I would share, But Belkin support was actually pretty good. Just need to watch what time it is in India so you can get someone who is fresh and hasn't worked all night. Also, at Belkin's suggestion I exchanged the first Router---Could that have been the problem?-- Anyway it's doing it's thing and I'm happy
Message Edited by Kaptin-Jer on 09-23-2009 10:34 AM
Connection Expert
JamesR

Glad you were able to work through it and get it up and running.

Connection Expert
EG

Me too..
New Visitor
editink33

I have this same exact problem.  I've had the Belkin router for several months, and it will not connect to the Internet via the RCA Comcast modem.  Someone appears to have easy access to my computer, so I want to make this connection more secure somehow.  Any suggestions?

Networking Expert
Baric

Other than resetting your cable modem when you connect the router, there is nothing that usually needs to be done.  If the Belkin still won't connect, make sure it is setup for automatic DHCP so it can acquire a Comcast IP address.  If it still doesn't work,

1. Disconnect the router and modem.

2. Reset the router to factory default using the Reset button.

3. Reset the modem by removing its power cord (if you have Digital Voice, use the Reset button on the back of the modem instead since pulling the power cord is not suffcient due to the internal batteries maintaining power.)

4. Let the modem reinitialize

5. Reconnect the router to modem and reboot it.

If it still does not connect, you need to provide exact details on exactly what Belkin router you have, and precisely what its configuration is.  Also post your computer's network config.  If Windows, post the output of ipconfig /all when connected to the router.