New Visitor
skypigeon

Can a wireless gateway be connected to an Arris phone network router?

About five years ago, we had Comcast install cable internet service in our house.  They put in a Netgear CG814WG Modem Gateway with a direct cable connection.

Just over a year ago we had Comcast pick up our phone service as well.  The installer who came to our house put in an Arris TM502G for the phone service, and left the Netgear modem gateway in place.

Lately we've been noticing some flakiness with downloading files and watching videos--often we'll get kicked off the Internet in the middle of either one, though our network stays up.  I noticed the Arris has an ethernet connection on the back of it.  Could I disconnect my old Netgear gateway, get a new gateway, attach it by ethernet cable to the Arris and get my wireless Internet that way?

I'm guess what I'm asking is, do I have redundancy where I don't need it? Please advise. Thanks! 

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Can a wireless gateway be connected to an Arris phone network router?

[ Edited ]

It depends on whether or not the tech that installed the Arris provisioned it for HSI service as well as CDV service. It's more likely that it was not. You could try it but if it hasn't been provisioned your browser will take you to the "walled Garden" Welcome to Comcast modem registration page. You would need to call in and tell them what it is you want to do and have them provision the Arris for you. They may disable the Netgear gateway however. We can't tell you for sure here what the policy is in your particular market area. Call in to find out.

P.S. Oh, and you can't hook up one of these combo modem/gateway devices to the Arris. You would need to use a straight router connected to it if you have the Arris provisioned.

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

edit

[ Edited ]

edit 

Connection Expert
EG

I have yet to see an Arris combo modem - eMTA - gateway device. Please educate me if you have.

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

edit

[ Edited ]

edit

Connection Expert
EG

I don't see anything that says combination modem - eMTA - wireless gateway device......

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

edit

[ Edited ]

edit

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

I've never seen them being issued by CC. Can we please stop muddying the OP's ongoing help thread and take this to another thread ?

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

edit

[ Edited ]

edit

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

edit

[ Edited ]

edit

Connection Expert
JamesR

skypigeon wrote:

About five years ago, we had Comcast install cable internet service in our house.  They put in a Netgear CG814WG Modem Gateway with a direct cable connection.

Just over a year ago we had Comcast pick up our phone service as well.  The installer who came to our house put in an Arris TM502G for the phone service, and left the Netgear modem gateway in place.

Lately we've been noticing some flakiness with downloading files and watching videos--often we'll get kicked off the Internet in the middle of either one, though our network stays up.  I noticed the Arris has an ethernet connection on the back of it.  Could I disconnect my old Netgear gateway, get a new gateway, attach it by ethernet cable to the Arris and get my wireless Internet that way?

I'm guess what I'm asking is, do I have redundancy where I don't need it? Please advise. Thanks! 

Are you experiencing interation between the Arris  and Gateway due to proximity?

Can you move the Gateway a couple of feet away from the Arris to see if that improves your connection?

Other things that can affect the wireless gateway are Cordless Phones . Cordless Phone Bases and Microwave ovens.

Connection Expert
EG

UHFhd wrote:

One last side note, just in case they wanted to buy there own and not rent, that is if comcast supports this device            http://www.ubeeinteractive.com/index.php/products/product-overview/wireless_emta/

they only sell to cable providers again my mistake . Not sure if ubee is used by comcast in your area

There are only a very few market areas that will allow customer owned eMTA's to be used. And in those areas the eMTA must be purchased from the local participating Best Buy retail outlet that has a Comcast kiosk. They are selling Arris 722G eMTA's which don't have a built in router segment.

They likely don't even have a configuration/boot file written for that Ubee device.

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

edit

[ Edited ]

edit

New Visitor
skypigeon

Much obliged for all the responses!  We have the gateway right next to the Arris; I'll try moving it down the desk first and see if that makes any difference.   There's also a cable jack in my home office--could I also move the gateway to that cable jack to see if proximity conflict with the Arris is the problem, or is it more complicated than that? 

Connection Expert
JamesR

Try seperating it on your desk first  Then try the other Jack.  Can't hurt and ou can always move it back.

If you move it to the other room and you run into a problem, call in and get them to reprovision it for you.