New Visitor
alecsputnik

Can i change my wifi name and password?

Hello i recently had Comcast installed in my home and I would like to change the wifi password, and name if possible.  I am using a modem/router with this model number SMCD3GNV.  I tried to log in and chat with a comcast rep, but after 5 unsuccessful tries, I give up.  Can anyone help me?  I found a "manual" online for this router, but it was anything but helpful.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

New Visitor
dohn

Re: Can i change my wifi name and password?

I was attempting to do the same thing tonight. My router had an unexpected self-reset, so this is what I figured out.

Steps:

1. Access your Network and Sharing Center

2. Click wireless networks connections

3. From the pop-up window click the details tab

4. Another pop-up tab follows (Network Connection Details)

5. Select the (Gateway) ip address and apply it to a web browser

6. Once a page comes up you'll be able to rename your router and set a new password through the tabs;

wireless

basic wireless settings

wireless security

Hope this helps.

P.S.  If you can't already connect wirelessly then connect via ethernet cable to try setup. 

Networking Expert
Baric

alecsputnik wrote:

Hello i recently had Comcast installed in my home and I would like to change the wifi password, and name if possible.  I am using a modem/router with this model number SMCD3GNV.  I tried to log in and chat with a comcast rep, but after 5 unsuccessful tries, I give up.  Can anyone help me?  I found a "manual" online for this router, but it was anything but helpful.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

It's fairly easy to do:

1. Log into the router at http://10.0.01 (assuming it is using the default address).  The default userid is "admin", the default password is "password".
  2. You should be presented with a wizard setup as described on page 8 in your manual.
  3. If you are NOT presented with the wizard, you will have to go make the changes directly...
  4. Go to Gateway -> Connection -> WiFi and press the EDIT button next to your wireless network.
  5. Change the Network Name (SSID) and the Network Password to whatever you desire and then press the SAVE SETTINGS button.
  6. To change the login password (used in #1 above), go to Troubleshooting -> Change Password, provide the Current Password, the New Password, and Re-enter New Password and press the SAVE button.

And you're done.

New Visitor
hozz

Hi- I changed the password like this (for the wifi) and left the security on wpa2.  I also changed the network ssid name.  My devices can see the ssid, but they will not connect with the new password.  I have changed the password to letters only, numbers only, numbers and letters....nothing works.  Right now there is now security because our ipads and ipods won't connect when there is a password.  I even tried WPA security.  Any ideas?

Networking Expert
Baric

What wireless router?  That's kind of important information...

First make sure you select WPA2PSK-AES (or whatever your router calls it).  Do NOT select TKIP or the WPA/WPA2 combo option

On the iPad/iPod's go to Settings -> WiFi  and select your network details (little blue circle with a right angle bracket to the far right of the network name), then tap the Forget this network button.  then try connecting again. 

If this doesn't work, make sure your router is not not filtering on MAC address.  If so, either disable the filtering or add the wireless MAC addresses of your iPad and IPod to the allowed list.

New Visitor
hozz

Sorry, it's the SMCD3GNV. I'll give it a try.
New Visitor
loken415

Thank you so much for the instructions.  I followed the steps and everything worked out great!

Networking Expert
Baric

Glad it worked for you.

New Visitor
alecsputnik

So i was able to change the name of the network, but unable to figure out how to change the password... any help?  thanks so much!

Networking Expert
Baric

They are set on the exact same screen so not sure what you are referring to.  See page 17 of your manual:

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/userguides/Wireless_Gateway_User_Guide_030811....

New Visitor
mac932002

i have access to the router via 10.0.0.1, i log in as admin and i click on "change password"  i than enter the "network key" from the bottom of my router, in the current password box, than i enter new password and confirm new password. i have verified that i have "capslock" on and have tried "O"s and "0"s just in case and it keeps telling me "current password error".  If i enter the same network key in my iphone, ipad, xbox, etc. it works and connects but i really want to change the name and password. please help. oh and btw, it is impossible to get someone on the phone for support on this issue.  they keep giving me different #s to call and all state that i need to talk to wireless support, which is exactly the selection i make in the menu as option 4.  here are the #s i have been given which all lead me back to the same place everytime.  i have spent over an hour of my time in this circle of confusion and i am not very happy with my NEW comcast account that i just got yesterday

18774431344 ( rings busy)

Connection Expert
EG

Use this number; 1-800-363-2416.

New Visitor
mac932002

thank you!  i spoke to Adrian and he took care of my issue.  He made me happy to be a comcast customer!

Connection Expert
EG

Glad things worked out for you !