New Visitor
trivium92

Can iphones connect to comcast wifi

so ive used our pw many times and it still wont connect idk if for some reason its the wrong pw or what but i cant connect to our wifi and my data plan is getting to high  bc i use upwards of 80% of my data plan a month as to a friend of mine uses maybe 5% bc hes connect to wifi

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: Can iphones connect to comcast wifi

Generically the answer is yes.  An Iphone can connect to your router.

Questions are, Are your phone and router on the same band? Are your phone and Router set to use the same Encryption mode?  Does your Router exclude access by MAC address?

It would be good if you could use a cabled access to log into your routers Admin Web Page (The uID and PW are usually on a sticker on the back or bottom of the Router)   Turn off MAC filtering for test, Look into wireless security and find the enncryption type and passphrase.  Make sure that the Radios for both Wireless G and Wireless N are turned on.  Try to connect the Iphone  with the proper  encryption mode and passphrase.

Should be good to go

Email Expert

Does your SSID show up in the list of networks on the iPhone (assuming you have SSID broadcasting enabled)?

Networking Expert
Baric

If you can see your SSID on the iPhone but it won't connect, realize the Xfinity Wireless Gateways are HORRIBLE wireless devices and it's best to bridge it and get your own wireless router.  But if you really want to try this, then:

1.  Log into the gateway and change the wireless security to WPA2PSK-AES , NOT WPA/WPA2PSK-AES.  iOS devices will not connect to the gateway in that mode for some reason.

2.  Go into your iPhone's wifi setup and Forget this network.  Then try again.

But really, you are WAY better off getting your own decent wireless router and not using the gateway's router or wireless functions.

New Visitor
trivium92

ok thank you

Contributor

I have the same problem - iphone and daughter's macbook can't connect to Gateway wifi. My HP laptop is just fine though.  I did try to change the security setting to WPA/WPA2PSK-AES as  you suggested but then I immediately lost my connection to my windows laptop.  I have tried changing the channel to a manual setting, reset the modem, did all the 'forget network' tricks on my iphone and macbook and I get a connection for about fifteen minutes - and then it's gone.  So it seems I can have either a wifi connection to my HP laptop or to my Apple products but not to both. 

Am I destined to now go out a buy a separate router?  

Networking Expert
kevj

sandomenica,

please re-read Baric's post...he said "change the wireless security to WPA2PSK-AES , NOT WPA/WPA2PSK-AES"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor

kevj, sorry, I meant to type "CHANGED THE WIRELESS SECURITY TO WPA2PSK-AES".  So I did change it from WPA/WPA2PSK-AES.  That's when I lost the wifi connection to my HP laptop. 

I will try it again though.  Thx.

Networking Expert
kevj

No worries...

You may need to change the encryption schemes your HP laptop uses to connect...It sounds like it may be limited to WPA, if changing to WPA2/AES caused it to lose connectivity

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor

I already considered that; it's a brand new laptop so it's already set at WPA2-Personal, AES. I wandered over to Apple's Help forum and found a thread addressing this issue.  Apparently it's a common complaint with Apple/iPhone/iPad users. Funny thing is Apple directed users to Comcast's help forum :smileyhappy: ;

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-and-Router-Help/Unable-to-join-the-Network-on-iPAD-iPOD...

Probably will end up calling the Gateway support forum and ask them to bridge the gateway and then go out a buy a new router. 

Thanks for the help.

New Visitor
cm4ever

[ Edited ]

This worked for me...

I went to this page for my comcast router (type 10.0.0.1 in the address bar to get to this, log in to get to your gateway connection)  I Clicked on CONNECTION, then WI-FI. It showed a different password than I had set for my router (that I use with all of the home computers and laptops)... I used that password (a long series of letters and numbers) and it worked!! My Iphone is now connected to wi-fi! On your iphone, simply click settings, wi-fi, your router name, then type in the long password from the page mentioned above!

New Visitor
SteveS168

Changing the security setting worked perfect! Many months of frustration have now been solved. Thanks!

Contributor

Unfortunately the password on the router site is the same one I was assigned.  But thanks for the suggestion!

New Visitor
ob606

This worked for me. 

New Visitor
kjiuyt

Login to comcast admin and Go to Troubleshooting -> Reboot/Reset Gateway -> Restore Factory Setings.

Connect your devices again, that should work

Connection Expert
EG

Year old thread now closed.