New Visitor

Can no longer access my router remotely

I used to be able to do remote access to my router config page using https://xxxxxx:8080, now it won't let me although I can ping it OK. Did Comcast cut off access to 8080 ports with some changes?

Does anyone else connect to their router remotely?

--KZ
Most Valued Poster

Re: Can no longer access my router remotely

I don't, because I fear other can if I set it to do so. Have you double checked your router to see if anything got changed? You might try power-cycling the router or even restoring the default settings and reconfiguring it.
New Visitor

They would need to know my name used and the pw though.

I hadn't changed anything, but I'll try this weekend power cycling it and see if that helps. It's just stange that it worked for months, then stopped giving me access to the login page.

--KZ
Networking Expert
Baric

No, Comcast doesn't prevent port 8080 access. At least it doesn't in this area. I'd check your router settings, sounds like your external access setting is turned off. Have you made any firewall or port forwarding changes lately?

Where are you accessing the router from? Many ISP's and work locations limit what ports you can use.
New Visitor

The access is definitely turned on. I even turned it off, saved it, then turned it back on again.

No firewall changes lately other than spy ware stuff, but even then, I'm not trying to access my computer, just direct to the router.

I even tried to access the router via it's WAN IP from my computer using Comcast locally and same thing. I normally access it from work who we're connected with a fT1 from Bell. I am the admin for the work system, so no changes there.
Networking Expert
Baric

I meant the firewall and port settings on the router itself, the computers behind the router are meaningless in this context.

So you handle the IT environment that at work? No one else can change anything? How about your ISP?
New Visitor

No, ISP hasn't changed.

Nothing else changed on the router either. Even checked it numerous times.
New Visitor

It's just strange that I can ping it, but not access it via the browser...and I used to all the time....
Networking Expert
Baric

ping uses a different IP protocol than TCP, which is what HTTP uses. Sure sounds to me like somoene's blocking. There's only so many points along the way that can be doing it. The router, Comcast, the local ISP, and work environment. But if you elimiate each as a source of the problem, then your problem must lie elsewhere.

A good test is to try hitting the router from the outside using a system on Comcast and see if that works. Also, try putting a hub/switch in front of the router and using a computer connected to the hub. These will tell you whether the probem is with Comcast or the router, but if it works, then the block is upstream somewhere.
New Visitor

If you have a Unix or Linux machine on the External side of your Firewall you can Trace route with TCP Port 8080.
New Visitor

Also check the logs of your device it should be telling you if the connection is even reaching the External Interface.
Recognized Contributor
AlisMan

> ping uses a different IP protocol than TCP, which is what HTTP uses.

Ping uses ICMP!!! Isnt that exciting?
New Visitor

How do you ping using ICMP? What do you mean?
Networking Expert
Baric

ping uses ICMP already, that's the IP protocol it uses to do it's job. Some versions of ping have added the use of other protocols (such as TCP), but these are very nonstandard and specific to each tool, and they usefulness is limited.