Contributor
ET895

Can't access 10.0.0.1? Help please!

Hello, I recently got Comcast on Thursday of last week.  The guy who came out was completely clueless about what he was doing.  But he installed internet and phone and gave us the Arris TG862/CT.  We've had problems with the modem and were without internet or phone for the past two days.  

We had another tech come out and told us that the other tech didn't really do a great job and the new tech rewired everything.  When the modem wouldn't connect to the internet he told us to go to the Comcast store and he would come back to our house and help us to get back up and running since he was in the neighborhood.

To make a long story short.  We got the new modem (Arris TG862/CT).  Everything was working fine, but my mom wanted to change the name of the modem from HOME-D14 to something else.  So I went to the Setup Wizard and changed the password for WPA2 and the name.  Once the device rebooted I tried to go back to 10.0.0.1 to trust the devices in the house but I couldn't access that page?  And I was just on it!!

Basically I need some help accessing my modem's page now (new problem).  Can anyone please help me?!

I am using Windows 7.

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Can't access 10.0.0.1? Help please!

Try accessing it via a wired ethernet connection to one of the LAN ports.

Contributor
ET895

[ Edited ]

I did try that on the computer thats connected to it and it didn't work.

Email Expert

Are you getting any kind of response from it? Maybe you inadvertently changed the IP. Run "ipconfig/all" on the PC to ensure that the router's IP is what you think it is.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

You could start over by factory resetting it (holding reset for 15+ seconds) or try to access it with 192.168.100.1 and click Xfinity...

Contributor
Adrian-Florida

OK, try this.  I'm assuming Windows 7 here, clcik start then run.  You should see a black box with white writing.  Type in that box exactly as shown in upper case:

IPCONFIG /ALL

This will tell you your IP address and that of the Default Gateway - this is the address of your router please note that is your IP address starts 169 you need to reboot your PC.  Hope this helps

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

Could very well be a 169 IP...  But with Windows 7, if it were 169, that's not a good sign...  and simply rebooting may not fix it...

169 is a self-assigned IP address meaning it couldn't be obtained from what it connects from...

Windows XP is bad about 169, but if he has 169 and Windows 7, possible causes are:

Really does just need a reboot

Bad ethernet cord

Bad NIC card

Bad ethernet slot on modem, he has four, so if one is bad, all 4 will be bad...

Possible software issues, resolvable by:

Reboot, like you said

Delete the ethernet controller from the device manager, NOT check the uninstall driver box, and reboot

Reset the TCP/IP and Winsock

From Admin level Command Prompt

netsh int ip reset log.txt

netsh winsock reset

Reboot

Connection Expert
EG