New Visitor

Can't access 192.168.1.1 to configure Linksys 41 router

Even contacting Linksys support has not helped! I type in "admin" for the password and leave username blank. I have no firewall and no proxy settings. Network consists of 2 W2K Pro and LAN works fine. I'm trying to configure my router so that I can use pcAnywhere to access my home computer from work (XP Pro). Right now I can access home to work but not work to home (pcAnywhere version 10.5). Any suggestions?? I've been at this for hours!! The only odd thing I noticed when I ran ipconfig/all was that the DNS suffix was still abd1.md.home.com instead of comcast.net. What's with that?
Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Can't access 192.168.1.1 to configure Linksys 41 router

The DNS suffix is set in your TCP/IP config parameters on the DNS tab, change it to comcast.net or the name of your internal network (doesn't really matter in most cases).

If your router is asking you to login, then you have the right IP but you're giving it the wrong password. Did you change it? Did you realize the password is case sensitive? "ADMIN" is not the same as "admin" or "Admin". And you really should never leave such a well known default password unchanged.
New Visitor

If Pc Anywhere uses a certain port to connect, you may have to use port-forwarding to allow it to come through your router from work.

Also if you still cant get "ADMIN"to work you might try using the reset button on the router and restoring it to defaults and trying again.
New Visitor

Thanks, Baric. I can't believe something so simple is getting the better of me. Problem is that I installed this router over a year ago easy and have not had to do anything until I just upgraded from W98 to W2K Pro and am trying to get pcAnywhere working -- also upgraded from version 8 to 10.5. I still can't get past the stupid logon. Took your advice and tried the different versions of "admin" and when I entered "Admin" the status bar went all the way over this time instead of halfway but still did nothing. It just stopped and that was that! I even changed the password and clicked on remember this in the list and tried again. Do I need to wait awhile or reboot for the new password to be effective? The 401 Authorization red screen that comes up says either the password is "bad" or that my browser doesn't understand how to handle the credentials. Can you explain that please? Do I need to call Comcast??
New Visitor

Hey fellow Harford Countian! I've thought about resetting the router but then I'll need to enter everything again, right? Linksys support suggested that I go static and do Port Forwarding besides, but I can't even get to the router configuration site so that's a big help. Looks like resetting may be my only option. Thanks for the help.
Networking Expert
Baric

You still haven't gotten into the router. The red auth page comes up if you cancel out of the login dialog. Unless you can come up with the proper password, your only choice is to reset the router back to factory defaults so the regular "admin" password works again.

Luckily for you there is very little config required on this router. If you have any special settings, you will have to reenter them.
New Visitor

REMINDER: My Linksys router requires me to press the reset button for 10 seconds before it will do a full reset.