Contributor
annhoffman9q

Can't change password for WiFi network via 10.0.0.1

I would like an answer from Comcast.  I am tired of people on the phone and a run-around.  I have an SMC modem.  I had changed the password the network came with a few weeks ago.  The changed password is no longer valid.  I can connect to the network with the long password originally assigned to the network, but  entering "admin" and "password" on the login page of 10.0.0.1 so I can change it again gives me a message of invalid login. 

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: Can't change password for WiFi network via 10.0.0.1

Usually, you can reset it to factory default passwords by depressing the Reset button on the back with a non metallic pointed device such as a toothpick if you remove the power cord and depress the Reset button for a while, you should be able to get back to the default login.  Note: the defaults are listed on a Sticker on the bottom or back, normally.

Contributor
annhoffman9q

Thanks James.  I have the default settings (ie network name & password) and can connect.  What I can't do is login via 10.0.0.1 and change the password as I was able to before.  Will resetting the modem take care of this?  i am very nervous about resetting the modem ... at least now i can connect with the long non-sensible password!

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

[ Edited ]

Pressing and holding the recessed reset button over 15 seconds should produce a factory reset.

The other method would be to unplug the gateway and remove the battery for a minute...As far as I'm aware...

Connection Expert
JamesR

annhoffman9q wrote:

Thanks James.  I have the default settings (ie network name & password) and can connect.  What I can't do is login via 10.0.0.1 and change the password as I was able to before.  Will resetting the modem take care of this?  i am very nervous about resetting the modem ... at least now i can connect with the long non-sensible password!

Are you trying to login to 10.0.0.1 wirelessly or with an ethernet cable connection?

There is a setting that prevents logging in to do admin tasks via the Wireless side to keep your neighbors from logging in to your wirtelews router and changing stuff on you..

So, use a cabled connection and see if that works.

Connection Expert
EG

JamesR wrote:

if you remove the power cord and depress the Reset button for a while, you should be able to get back to the default login.

Should a reset of this type be performed actually while the device is powered on ?

Contributor
annhoffman9q

Thanks James.  I tried that and it still doesn't work.  Before I got on this forum Comcast telephone support punted and referred me to Signature support.  I can't see why I need to pay for support just to change my password as instructed in the "quick start" manual!!!

Contributor
annhoffman9q

That doesn't work either.  Any other suggestions?

Official Employee
ComcastMattV

Are you still having issue with getting this set up? Please let me know and I can take a look into your router for you.

Thank you

Comcastmattv
Contributor
annhoffman9q

Yes.  I cannot login as "admin" with the password of "password" to change my network password.  I was able to a few weeks ago.  Since then the network password I had changed to has somehow been changed back to the default, and I cannot login to change it back. 

New Visitor
bstephano

James R.

Im trying to configure my router.... Xfinity - Arris Model TG862G/CT

And having the same issue,  Im connected through cable and I  can acces the 10.0.0.1, the pop up window of user and password appear. But the user and password of  admin/password is not working.

Try it already without capital letters, nothing... tried admin and the network key as password nothing... Use the network name as user and network key as password and nothing.

Already rest the password 3 times and nothing .

Any help on how can I access 

Connection Expert
JamesR

Where did you get the default UID and PW?  Did you pull it from the sticker on the Device or did you google the Make , Model and the word "DEfault" to get the default UID, PW and IP address?

If you have Reset the Router To Factory Defaults and are using the right Default UID and PW and it still does not work then you need to replace the router.

The only other thing I can think of is that some routers have a check box to prevent logging in from a wireless connection.

So, you would want to use a Wired connection using an ethernet cable to work on your router.

New Visitor
Nayely986

:smileylove: