Contributor
MendicantBias
Accepted Solution

Can't complete router setup (ASUS RT-AC66U) with SMCD3GNV modem

I just upgraded to a new wireless router (ASUS RT-AC66U).  I have the SMC Networks SMCD3GNV Wireless Gateway, but it's setup in bridged mode and therefore only acting as a cable modem.

I have changed nothing with my wireless network, with the obvious exception of the ASUS router.  When going through the router setup, it cannot detect my internet settings.  I've selected DHCP, auto DNS, etc.  After that step, it puts me back to instructions on unplugging the modem, etc.

I've unplugged the modem (including taking out the battery backup), I've reset the modem, etc. - same result. I also exchanged one router for a new one, just to make sure it wasn't a hardware issue.  Same result.

I know that this router works with Xfinity as I've seen other users reference it in the forums. I just cannot get it to work with mine.

Anyone have any suggestions?  Xfinity phone support was only able to give me the high level suggestions.

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Can't complete router setup (ASUS RT-AC66U) with SMCD3GNV modem

[ Edited ]

When you say that you "reset it" do you mean that you used the recessed reset button on the rear and held it in for more than four / five seconds ? If you did, the SMC device was reset to factory defaults which includes it dropping out of bridge mode. 

Contributor
MendicantBias

Yes I held the reset button on the back to reset.  I then called Comcast to get it put back into bridge mode.  They confirmed that it is.

I'm stumped.  

Contributor
Cast-Master

Hi MendicantBias,

What firmware on the RT-N66U are you running? You should be somewhere near version 3.0.0.4.260. Is the "Wi-Fi" light on on your modem? Did you power cycle *both* your modem and the router? Make sure the router is "Wireless Router Mode." Try turning off the AiCloud stuff, if it's on.

Contributor
MendicantBias

Firmware is: 3.0.0.4.270.  I did upgrade to the latest firmware with the first RT-N66U I purchased. The upgrade had no impact.  I returned it for another of the same model, just to make sure it wasn't bad hardware.

- Router is set to "Wireless Router Mode"

- AiCloud is not enabled

When going through the setup, here's the process/info:

During "Internet Setup":

- Chose the WAN connection type by your ISP: Automatic IP (DHCP)

- Automatic IP connection setup:

Host Name (optional): [left blank]

MAC Address (optional): [left blank]

-  Please refer to our IESP setting and input the related info:

Connect to DNS Server automatically: Yes

DNS Server 1: [greyed out]

DNS Server 2: [greyed out]

After that it throws me back to the instructions of suggesting to turn off the modem, power cycle, etc.

Contributor
Cast-Master

Try power cycling (unplug the modem, then the router, then wait, then plug in the modem, finally the router). I'm sure you've tried already, but just maybe...

Another thing: Are you using IPv6?

I doubt you got bad hardware with the Asus twice. One simple setting I forgot even existed is when you log in to the router, under the "Network Map" tab (on the left), if you click on the globe-looking icon (which has "Internet Status" "WAN IP", etc. on the right); an Internet Status menu will appear to the right. Make sure the connection status is on (green).

My WAN settings are:

WAN Connection Type: Automatic IP

Enable WAN: Yes

Enable NAT: Yes

Enable UPnP:Yes

Connect to DNS Server automatically: Yes

Authentication: None

Host Name: <blank>

MAC Address: <blank>

Contributor
MendicantBias

Thanks for your continued input, btw.

Yes, I've power cycled several times.  No impact.

IPv6 is not enabled. I don't even know what that is :smileyhappy:

I checked everything you outlined and my settings are the same as yours - same result.  I really don't want to go to another router, because the range on this one is so good.  I need good range. 

Contributor
Cast-Master

My pleasure, and I feel your pain!

I'm beginning to wonder if we need a little KISS mentality here: Are you sure you've got everything wired up correctly (the router should be hooked from one of the four ethernet ports on the modem to the blue-ish port separated from the other four on the Asus), are you sure that the ethernet cord your using is a good cord?

Try logging into the Asus, and click "Reboot" (at the top). Maybe it's some kink with the firmware.

Finally, if you plug your computer in, via ethernet cable directly to the SMC modem, can you get online?

Contributor
MendicantBias

Ok, I found out the issue...and it's odd.  Apparently having the SMC wifi gateway was playing havoc.  I reset the SMC and everything worked.  When I had Comcast put it back into bridge mode (assuming I needed to for my new router to work), I had the previous issues.

Even plugging directly into the SMC with an Ethernet cable provided a limited connection. So I reset again.  Router is working, plugging into the SMC with Etherent cable is working, etc.

Yes, the SMC is still acting as a wireless gateway, but I turned the broadcast off in the settings. 

For now, problem solved!

Contributor
Cast-Master

Ah, so it was the SMC...Good to hear you're up and running!

Connection Expert
EG

MendicantBias wrote:

Router is working, plugging into the SMC with Etherent cable is working, etc.

Yes, the SMC is still acting as a wireless gateway, but I turned the broadcast off in the settings. 

For now, problem solved!

FWIW, if the SMC's DHCP server is still active and you are using a separate router with it then you still have a double NAT condition on your home network which can cause some performance and operating problems..

Contributor
MendicantBias

EG - thanks for the heads-up.  It seems to be working well right now, and I don't know of what the alternative would be.  If it's put into bridged mode, then I lose my compatibility with the ASUS router.

Happy to hear suggestions.

Connection Expert
EG

MendicantBias wrote:

If it's put into bridged mode, then I lose my compatibility with the ASUS router.

Why do you say that ?

Contributor
Cast-Master

EG wrote:

MendicantBias wrote:

If it's put into bridged mode, then I lose my compatibility with the ASUS router.

Why do you say that ?

MendicantBias wrote:

Apparently having the SMC wifi gateway was playing havoc.  I reset the SMC and everything worked.  When I had Comcast put it back into bridge mode (assuming I needed to for my new router to work), I had the previous issues.

Even plugging directly into the SMC with an Ethernet cable provided a limited connection. So I reset again.  Router is working, plugging into the SMC with Etherent cable is working, etc.

For whatever reason, his modem seems to be puking in bridge mode. Either his modem is not fully in bridge mode, or his modem is defective.
Connection Expert
EG

There is a method to my madness... 

Contributor
Cast-Master

EG: This one is bizarre. I figure let MB regain some patience on this. I can't think of a reason that simply putting the gateway in bridge mode would cause him to lose connectivity.

MB: EG makes a very good point, that at some point this will cause you some headaches.

Contributor
MendicantBias

I agree - it's totally whacko that putting the modem into bridge mode would cause me to lose connectivity, but it did.  Right now, I'm mission critical to have Internet, so perhaps I'll try again in a few weeks to have it put into bridge mode again.  It's easy enough to go back to the way it's working now, should it have problems again.

Trust me...I don't want headaches and I'd prefer that my setup is as it should be.  I've tried two different routers (same model) just to make sure it wasn't a hardware issue.  It happened with both.

Contributor
ut_man

[ Edited ]

I am having the same issue with my ASUS RT-AC66U and bridged Xfinity Arris TG862. I have restarted the modem and router multiple times in different orders. The router never gets an IP from the modem. All the ethernet activity lights are on when everything is booted up, so the connection is there. I've also tried MAC cloning on the router to make sure that wasn't the issue. This router _was_ working with this setup before I had to unplug my modem for a couple minutes. It has not worked since.

After struggling to get the router to work for over an hour, I tried plugging my desktop directly into the modem. The internet connection started working for the desktop immediately. Something is up with either the bridged modem, or the router.

EDIT: I disconnected my desktop from the modem, and plugged the router back in. It is now working properly. The modem does NOT work after a restart without first plugging in my desktop, then removing that ethernet cable and plugging the router back in.