Contributor
chollie47

Can't configure Airport Extreme with Arris

When I connect my mac (iMac 4,1, Intel, running OS 10.5.8) directly to the Arris TM722G modem, I can't get online.

What I want to do is put my Airport Extreme between the modem and my Mac in order to create a wifi signal and still connect to my mac via ethernet.

-I configured the APE for "Set up a Wireless Network".

-When I plugged the updated APE into the modem, I got a green light and ran ethernet from the APE to the mac, but got no signal.

-Weirdly, when I did that, my mac could not recognize any wireless network.  My ipad did see the wireless, but could not connect successfully.

-I did restart every device

Is it:

-An incorrect Airport Setting

-An incorrect Apple network setting

-Something else?

Thanks for your help!

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Can't configure Airport Extreme with Arris

You need to use the recessed reset button on the rear of the Arris eMTA rather than just restarting it in order to properly powercycle / reset it. Using something like a bent paper clip or a pen tip, depress and hold it in until you see the front panel indicator lights begin to cycle, then release it. Now give the Arris the time that it needs to re-sync with the system. Then, if needed, try powercycling the router and let it fully come up, then re-boot the computer.