Contributor
hkgharry
Accepted Solution

Can't connect to VPN using Triple Play Gateway

Last week I switched from Comcast internet-only access via a simple modem to triple-play with a "gateway" modem/router from comcast.

With the modem only, I could access my VPN server at work. With the new gateway, after about 60 seconds of "Verifying user name and password..." I get an

"Error 806: The VPN connection between your computer an the VPN server couldn not be completed. The most common cause for this failure is that tat least one Internet device (for exmaple, af firewall or a router) between your computer an the VPN servier is not configured to allow Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) protocol packets. If the problem persists, contact your network administraor or internet service provider" 

The gateway is a TECHNICOLOR TC8305C.

The IT guys at work tell me we're using PPTP which I believe uses GRE and port 1723. According to the router firewall configuration screen, the router allows "VPN(GRE, UDP 500, TCP 1723)". The IT guys at work say they can see that I'm trying to connect to the VPN, but that the GRE information is being blocked.

I've tried contacting comcast through chat, and they basically tell me that it should work and if it doesn't to work with the VPN provider.

I've seen suggestions in the forums of "bridging" the gateway so the router is bypassed and I guess I could try that, but it seems like using a simple VPN would be a pretty basic service with this gateway, and since the firewall configuration screens seem to indicate that GRE and TCP 1723 are supported, I'd like to try to get this working.

Any suggestions for how to move forward would be appreciated.

Contributor
hkgharry

Re: Can't connect to VPN using Triple Play Gateway

I should add that I tried various security level settings for the gateway, including turning off the firewall altogether, but still get the error.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

[ Edited ]

Is there any way you can try and convince Comcast to give you a simple phone/modem eMTA and not a full gateway? That way, you an use your own router.

Contributor
hkgharry

Is the gateway is not capable of VPN?

Contributor
hkgharry

Apparently, the gateways really are trouble.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Arris-TG862G-GT-and-Xbox-360-S/m-p/1318429#...

Sounds like the options are bridge the gateway, or try to get Comcast to provide an EMTA as you suggested. I'll try to local Comcast service center. Thanks for your help!

Contributor
hkgharry

I was able to get a cable modem/phone eMTA from Comcast today. Works great with my own router. I'm connected to my work VPN again.

Thanks for your help!

New Visitor
BKScelfo

A HUGE thank you for this post.  I was pulling  my hair out.  I'm on the way now to comcast to get ride of this triple play gateway!