New Visitor
fancyPantsZero

Can't connect to port 80 from internet using Arris TG862G?

Hello,

I am attempting to set up a web server for hobby/personal use. I have Comcast/Xfinity internet connection with an Arris TG862G combo modem/router that Comcast gave me.

My web server is configured with a static local IP and I have enabled port forwarding to the server on port 80.

I've confirmed that the web server works when using the local IP, but it doesn't work when I try to access the server using the public IP.

I can ping the public IP successfully. But nmap shows that port 80 is "filtered".

What can I do to allow incoming connections on port 80 to my web server behind the router? Any ideas what I should try next?

It seems that either the gateway is failing to handle these requests correctly, or that this traffic is being filtered upstream from me?

Thanks

Email Expert

Re: Can't connect to port 80 from internet using Arris TG862G?

Although running a public web server isn't allowed by the TOS, Comcast doesn't generally block port 80 -- they're tolerant of hobby/personal servers.

When you were doing your testing, did you do it from outside your home network? Most routers don't do port-forwarding when the connection comes from the LAN.

Since it's just for personal use, maybe you could run it on a different port. To access it, put the port number in the URL, e.g. 1.2.3.4:8080 to connect to a server on port 8080.

It's known that the Comcast-specific firmware in their gateway devices has some limitations, maybe port 80 forwarding is one of them. We often suggest getting your own router, and having Comcast put the gateway in bridge mode.

Regular Contributor
shuck1

The port 8080 for the TG862g is being used by the router the only way you get get it to work is my changing the port like 8000 hope this helps

-CS

New Visitor
fancyPantsZero

Thanks Barmar, your suggestions were very helpful.

Part of the problem was, as you said, I was trying to access my server from within the home network. I didn't realize that the router would fail to port forward in that case, but in retrospect it makes sense.

I had also tested this from outside my home network, and it was failing apparently because my server is temporarily on wifi only (like I said, it's just for some minor hobby stuff, so wifi is good enough). The problem was that the wifi connection would terminate when the server went to sleep...I feel silly. As long as the server is awake it works :smileysilly:

So for the record, this router does seem to successfully port-forward, at least on 22 and 80.

Thanks for your assistance.

New Visitor
fancyPantsZero

Thanks, yes I noticed that 8080 never appeared open from the outside, this probably explains it. Luckily good ol' 80 is working now.