New Visitor
mjwiser
Accepted Solution

Can't connect to the internet through my router

I just got a new laptop, and decided to reset my wireless router because entering the 26 hex WEP key in the laptop didn't work.  I've configured my router in the past, but back when I was running Windows XP, and the new laptop is running Windows 7. 

I am using a modem supplied to me by Comcast: an RCA model DCM425

My wireless router is a linksys WRT54G2

Steps I have attempted thus far:

Reset my router to factory default

Power cycled my modem

Connected my router to my modem

Connected my laptop to the router with an ethernet cable

Logged in to the router with the address 192.168.1.1 and the default login (admin as user name and password)

I have left the Internet Connection Type as Automatic -DHCP

I have changed my router name

I've updated my time zone -- then saved changes

On the Wireless tab:

I've changed the wireless SSID

I've disabled the SSID broadcast

I've tried setting wireless security to none, to WEP, and to WPA2 personal.

In each of these three attemps at security settings, my Network and Internet settings has shown that I am connected to my router, but I have no internet connection through it.  I have tried power cycling each of the modem and the router, and I've tried using ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew from the command prompt to get a new IP address, all to no avail. 

Because I'm able to connect to the internet if I go directly through the modem, and leave the router out, I've checked for, downloaded, and installed all Windows updates in case that was why things were failing.  I've also tried using MAC filtering and specifying the MAC addresses of my modem, my laptop, and my desktop as the permitted address. 

I no longer know what to try next.  Any suggestions?

Networking Expert
kevj

Re: Can't connect to the internet through my router

Check the router status to see if you are getting a WAN IP....

If you are, use the Diagnostics page in the router GUI to try to ping out beyond your router (Comcast DNS servers 75.75.75.75 or the default WAN gateway provided by DHCP to the router would be good tests to see if you are getting connectivity to the local Comcast network).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

Well, your problem is likely one of 2 things:

1. The modem is not behing properly power cycled.  Some modems take longer to reset and you have to disconnect EVERYTHING from them and let them sit unpowered for a while.  So, disconnect the ethernet cable, the coax, and the power cable and let the modem sit for 5 minutes.  Then connect the coax, then the power and finally the ethernet cable from the router's WAN/Internet interface.  If that fails, try pressing and holding the Reset button the back of the modem for 15 seconds with the modem powered up.  Then try again.  If the router still won't connect, but the computer can when direct connected, then I'd move on to the router.  If the computer does not work direct connected to the modem, replace the modem, I'd recommend a Motorola SB6120 or SB6121.

2. The router is bad somehow.  This happens, unfortunately.  If you can get to the router's admin interface, it's working at least partially.  Try pressing and holding the Reset button on back for 30 seconds to reset to factory defaults.  There is also a way to do this when logged into the router's admin interface.  Then try power cycling the modem again and re-try the connection.  If still no go, then replace the router.  I'd recommend a wireless N model like the Linksys E2500 or E3200, wireless g is fast fading in popularity since N is faster. 

New Visitor
mjwiser

Baric's solution #1 resolved the problem.  While I had previously unplugged the ethernet cables and power cord from the modem and pressed the reset button on it for the power cycle, I had not removed the coaxial cable.  Doing so now has made the router work just fine; ennabling the SSID broadcast has allowed my laptop to find it wirelessly. 

Thank you both for your help.

New Visitor
Seelve

Baric 

Tons of Thanks, I had same problem. Option 1 worked for me, but 5 minute shutdown didn't worked so l swiched off the modem whole night and tried, it worked.

New Visitor
vnoo

Thanks a lot Baric ! I unplugged my modem for about 2 minutes, pugged it back, Boom ! My netgear router can now detect internet from the modem and I am able to connect through router !

Visitor

Baric, I've been following these posts to try to get my new 802.11 n router to connect to the internet using your suggestions. (the router is working okay for my network but cannot connect to internet, wired or wirelessly.) In your answer below, you talk about unplugging the modem for a while but I have a combo modem with voice for my phone service from Comcast and they say to NEVER unplug it to but to use the reset button - which I've tried many times and still have not had success.  Will unplugging it do any real harm?

My new router is a Zonet 802.11n 300mbps mod. #ZSR4164WS

any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. 

Connection Expert
EG

Try unplugging it and taking out the battery.

Visitor

Really?  It also says to NEVER take out the battery?

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Really. It can't hurt anything and it is the only true way to "hard" reset it. The reset button may be malfunctioning.

Visitor

Thank you so much, EG, this worked.  I unplugged everything and pulled out the battery and left it for about a half hour.  Then I hooked everything up again and, finally, it worked.

Thanks so much for your help - really!  I've been struggling with this on and off for over a week now.

Connection Expert
EG

Glad to hear ! Happy surfing ! :smileyhappy:

New Visitor
dcphoenix

I just want to let Baric know that he is right on target.  I have been having intermittent connectivity problems and I felt confident that my Netgear N600 wireless router was working properly.  Comcast customer service was little or no help.  i, too, did many to the things outlined by the original post without success.  This solution should be part of the Comcast customer service training.  Thanks!!!  I am back online thanks to you.

Visitor

I wholeheartedyly agree that Comcast should make the info about unplugging the modem for a longer period of time to get it to reset - and also about removing the battery.  Comcast makes it sound like the world is going to come to and end if you either a. / unplug a voice modem instead of using the reset button and/or b. / remove the battery.  

Those two actions are the only things that worked to get my new router to work.

Thanks to both Baric's instructions and EG telling me that, indeed, the world would not come to an end!

New Visitor

Thank you, Baric!  Your advice worked like a charm and it was so very simple.  Thanks again!

Networking Expert
Baric

Glad to help.

New Visitor
SDR2

not sure if this is the right place to post, but i can't seem to get my router working with the new modem box comcast just installed. i called them out to replace it since the last one died and they gave me a brand new one (ARRIS TC862). now, my router just doesn't work on it at all.

if i plug the computer directly into the modem itself, works fine. but that doesn't help the xbox, the wii, and the other wireless devises that can't connect anymore. the guys at comcast told me they could not help. i'm just struggling to understand why it's not working all of a sudden when it was fine with the old modem. i'd consider replacing the router if it was nto all that expensive, but it's a 160$ heavy duter netgear router (WNDR4500). not something i can just chuck and get a new one.

if anyone has any advise that would be fantastic.

Networking Expert
Baric

You have two basic options:

1.  Have the TG862 placed in bridge mode by the gateway support folks at 800-363-2416, and connect your router as before with everything else connected to the router, not the gateway.  Bridge mode means the device is working as a cable modem/EMTA and the router and wireless functions are inactive on the gateway.  So essentially, you just have a cable modem replacement, and your LAN is identical from the wireless router on back.

2. Don't use the router and connect your devices to the gateway.  The TG862 is a full wireless router in addition to a working cable modem/EMTA, so you can connect your ethernet device(s) to it directly, and use its wireless signal for your wireless devices.  the issue is here is this device runs a custom Comcast firmware and that firmware is know to have many issues, many related to wireless, some not.  If you try it and it works fine in your situation, great.  But if there are problems, I highly recommend #1.