New Visitor
acclaimavionics

Can't connect to wireless or router settings. (Arris TG852)

[ Edited ]

I'm attempting to connect to the control panel for the Arris TG852 modem/router combo device. Visiting 10.0.0.1 displays a Comcast Xfinity login page. My gateway has a sticker that lists the default username as "admin" and password as "password" but this is not working. I've held the reset for 20 seconds, unplugged the device, etc ... many times. While this did reset the network SSID to the default, the network key and also control panel login are not working (or at least not resetting the default).

I'm pretty ticked off because Comcast wants me to pay them to fix the problem. I used to setup networks and ethernets for a living so I'm not stupid when it comes to this stuff.

I'll be switching to AT&T U-Verse in 48 hours if this hasn't been resolved. I've already wasted 4 valuable hours and I have urgent projects due this weekend that require wireless access (which isn't resetting to the default network key either).

New Visitor
acclaimavionics

Re: Can not access router settings

I'm having the same freaking problem and Comcast directs me to their service which asks me to pay them to fix the issue. I'm pretty sure we're getting faulty routers or the documentation is incorrect. (I setup networks for a living.)

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

EDIT: duplicate comment removed

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Can't connect to wireless or router settings. (Arris TG852)

Call Comcast (800-363-2416) and have them place the device in bridge mode, then use your own wireless router.  Problem solved.

If you wish to continue using that gateway as a router, try the reset again, with the device disconnected from power, coax, and ethernet.  If that also fails to let you login with the documented default userid/password, then I would recommend you call the same number above and ask them what the default userid and password should be, since the documented ones don't work even after a reset.   

New Visitor
acclaimavionics

For sure, that's my plan in a few weeks, but for right now, I need this router to work. Nobody at Comcast believes I have a defective router.

Networking Expert
Baric

See my above advice for things to try in the mean time.  Comcast has alternate ways of accessing the device settings, they can likely get in and change things for you, or at least reset the userid and password so you can log into it.

Contributor
Vallean

Same problem but Netgear router. I'm actually on another post with the same issue and someone else experiencing the same issue with Netgear router. I have wasted over 7 hours, talked to 12 reps and nothing. I'm also on the verge of cancelling if mine is not resolved. Good luck.

New Visitor
Mrwig

Re: Intermittent Internet access

I am using the Arris TG852 Gateway and have constant problems with Internet connections dropping out. I have reset/factory and used internal WiFi, then reset again and had them re-bridge for downstream personal router.

Problem: intermittent (cannot check inbox/load web pages) errors. If have tried two Netgear routers, one of which has been working for 5 years w/o problem before going to this gateway.

I think the issue may be that CC is putting broken boxes back on the street. My installers were contractors and delivered old, dirty equipment; then tried to make a silk purse out of the proverbial pig's ear.

I think the network interface inside the gateway is way broke. I am having them swap the whole device out.

Stay tuned...Ron
Visitor

I am having the same issue. The last tech I spoke with at least got my network reset after I tried resetting the Aris via factory button, but, no avail getting to the GUI. I don;t think the equipment is faulty I think it is a software issue that is causing this to happen. You get locked out of the gui, which only worked for my initial setup.

I would rather use this one device as it simplifies an already cluttered PC area. But I need to figure out how to login to the dashboard. And every time I reset the thing I lose my WiFi access because that resets the SSID. So I have to call CC to get them to edit it from their end. It has been really frustrating. The techs I spoke with are a whole different story. They refuse to understand the issue and help correct it. I did finally get one who knew what he was talking about and got my Wifi WORKING AGAIN.

I have had more trouble over the years then I care to mention. I attempted to switch but the setup fees et was just crazy. My area only really has one decent net provider and that is CC. So I am stuck.

If anyone figures this out I'll owe you a cold drink.

Thanks

Visitor

Re: Can't connect to wireless or router settings. (Arris TG852)

passwords for my Arrus was the network name and pass phrase was network key

Visitor

had same problem changed  from wpa 2 to just wpa seem better

Visitor

Maybe this will help someone. But I figured out how to get into the GUI. You can not change the username it will always be admin even when reset. So that was my issue. I used admin and the password I had comcast tech support set for me and it worked.

New Visitor
Grateful777

Thank you Methxtra! admin worked with my password. Geez. What a joke! When I called back 15 min later Comcast transferred me to the wireless department and the guy said this was a fee based call!!! To reset the password! As 15 minuted before hand it was free. What a joke!!! Thanks again!