Contributor
DrZaat
Accepted Solution

Can't connect via TCP/IP to play game

I recently set up a wireless LAN. Over Christmas, my brother came over and we played "Carriers at War" via the LAN. Now he has his own copy and we would like to play over the internet. However, we have not been able to connect to the game, no matter which one of us hosts it. Any advice to fix this would be appreciated. Thanks
Networking Expert
kevj

Re: Can't connect via TCP/IP to play game

Has one of you enabled port forwarding on your router? See http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfiles/9/E9F5D04F9F9E40CD985E33207E71E5DA.pdf

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor
DrZaat

I can't access the webpage which will allow me to enable port forwarding. I have an Arris TM822G/CT modem which I recently received from Comcast as an upgrade. When I tried to go to 192.168.1.1, which I think is the address of my router, I received an authentication request stating that "The server 192.168.1.80 requires a username and password. The server says: WRT54GL." I tired a couple default usernames/passwords, e.g, "admin/password" and "admin/1234" but neither worked. I was hoping that Comcast might be able to tell me how to access the modem/router and set the port forwarding. Also, note that altho I typed in "192.168.1.1" which I believe is the address of my router, the authentication request refers to "198.162.1.80." I don't know whether this is significant. Note, I mentioned the wireless LAN in my original post simply to make clear that it IS possible to connect this game via the LAN. As far as connecting to the net goes, I connect with the cable modem indicated above, and this appears to be where the problem is located. Thanks
Connection Expert
EG

DrZaat wrote:
I can't access the webpage which will allow me to enable port forwarding. I have an Arris TM822G/CT modem which I recently received from Comcast as an upgrade.
That is a straight cable modem with phone support. There in no built in router component so there is no port forwarding done within it. It is already a layer 2 bridge.
When I tried to go to 192.168.1.1, which I think is the address of my router, I received an authentication request stating that "The server 192.168.1.80 requires a username and password. The server says: WRT54GL." I tired a couple default usernames/passwords, e.g, "admin/password" and "admin/1234" but neither worked. I was hoping that Comcast might be able to tell me how to access the modem/router and set the port forwarding. Also, note that altho I typed in "192.168.1.1" which I believe is the address of my router, the authentication request refers to "198.162.1.80." I don't know whether this is significant. Note, I mentioned the wireless LAN in my original post simply to make clear that it IS possible to connect this game via the LAN. As far as connecting to the net goes, I connect with the cable modem indicated above, and this appears to be where the problem is located. Thanks
The access address for the TM822 is http://192.168.100.1

Networking Expert
kevj

The address you are trying to access appears to be a Linksys WRT54g router. Is that yours? If not perhaps you are logged in to someone elses wifi? If it is yours, it sounds like we may need a lot more information regarding how your network is set up....

Help us to help you!!

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor
DrZaat

I don't k now what I'm doing, which is why I'm asking for help. I'll try to be more clear, so hopefully you can understand what my problem is despite my poor ability to express it. I connect to the internet via an Arris TM 822 cable modem. This is where I'm having a problem--connecting with my brother's computer at his house to play a game--"Carriers at War," if that is significant to the problem. I also have a Linksys Wireless router via which I have established a LAN in my home. Via the LAN, my brother and I have been able to play the game--one of us on my desktop, the other on my laptop. I only mentioned this in my original post to show that it is possible to play the game over the LAN. However, I have no idea if the existence of the LAN is part of the problem. I don't know why it would be, since communication over the LAN and communication via the cable modem are two different things. My internet connection via the cable modem is working properly. I have no trouble accessing the internet. However, when my brother and I try to connect to play the game--each at our own home--we cannot connect. I've been looking for answers on the net, and found the suggestion that I should enable port forwarding in order to play over the internet. Since I don't know what I'm doing, I tried this, but could not access the page where such action could be accomplished. If I understand EG's response in this thread, since I'm using a cable modem, port-forwarding is unnecessary. If so, that's fine, since I don't really know what I'm doing and am merely following instructions I found on the net. However, something is stopping me from being able to play this game over the net, so I was simply looking for possible solutions. I will be happy to provide any other information which will help resolve this problem. The reason my brother got the game was so that we could play each other from our own homes, so it is disappointing that we cannot. Thanks for your help.
Connection Expert
EG

DrZaat wrote:
If I understand EG's response in this thread, since I'm using a cable modem, port-forwarding is unnecessary.

The point was that it is not possible to do port forwarding in a straight cable modem but it may be necessary to do it in a router.

Networking Expert
kevj

In this case, according to the document at the link I posted in a previous message, forwarding of a couple of UDP ports at the Linksys router is going to be necessary for whoever is going to be the host. The document spells out the necessary procedure in quite amusing detail. If you do not know how to configure port forwarding, look at www.portforward.com and search for your specific router for instructions.

Help us to help you!!

Contributor
DrZaat

Thanks both of you! Enabling port-forwarding on the Linksys router did the trick. I must admit that I don't understand why the wireless router is involved when I'm using the cable modem--especially since when I was using the router for the LAN and everything worked fine without port-forwarding. But, the important thing is it worked. Again, thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Networking Expert
kevj

You are welcome, and here is why it works like it does: What is Port Forwarding? Port forwarding is a mechanism used in IPv4 to allow a computer, smartphone, or other device (the SOURCE) outside your Comcast HSI connection to connect to a device on your LAN (the DESTINATION). There is a nice graphical representation of Port Forwarding in this diagram (which I did not create): http://www.webio.us/doc/KE_WebIO_UserManual_v2.0_files/image008.jpg In this diagram, a Cable or DSL subscriber (you) has a server (in this case called WebIO) on the internal LAN behind his router. It is configured to listen on TCP port 80, in this case. Other devices or game servers that you have may be configured to listen on a different (or many different) ports, but the principle is the same. Let's say that the subscriber (you) want to make that server available to a family member in a different location, so they can see your webcam, or lookat the web server you have set up to display your pictures. In order to do that, your family member needs to be able to connect, often using a web browser, or a smartphone app. The problem is that your web server is on your LAN, protected by the firewall in your router, AND it has a private address (common private addresses are in the 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12 and 192.168.0.0/16 networks , which cannot be used on the internet. The ones you will seee most commonly are the 192.168.0.0 and 10.0.0.0 subnets. Subnetting is beyond the scope of this discussion, as most home routers are set up out-of-the-box to use one of these submets. Under normal circumstances, you will probably never have to change this. The problem lies in the fact that these subnets cannot be routed over the internet. Port Forwarding is intended to solve that problem. As seen in the diagram, your home router (and you must have a router of some type to perform port forwarding) is provided with an address on the public internet by Comcast. Because of a shortage of IPv4 addresses, home routers use Network Address Translation (NAT) to allow you to connect a large number of devices to your router, and give them the ability to connect to other devices on the internet. This is done by assigning each requested connection from your LAN a TCP port, so the router can track the connection. The combination of the IP address and port number is called a socket. So, when you use your computer on yur LAN to go to www.google.com, your computer (the source) sends a request using a random port (usually above port 1024) to the destination (www.google.com) on port 80 (the standard http port. Because of NAT, the Google server sees your source address as the WAN IP of your router. How, you may ask. is this related to Port Forwarding? Well, port forwarding is essntially the same process, but in reverse. Think of it a inbound NAT. You router has a public IP address, but by default, it doesn't listen on many ports. This is for security...if someone on the internet wants to get on to yournetwork, they are going to have a hard time unless you have a router that responds on some ports. NAT does not occur when you are sending traffic between two computers that are on your LAN (both directly connected to the same router, for most home LAN purposes....hence no port forwarding is necessary between machines on the same LAN....

Help us to help you!!

Contributor
DrZaat

Thank you for the explanation. It's nice to have an idea of what's going on.