Contributor
jcboss76
Accepted Solution

Can't set up D-Link DCS-5020 Network Camera for remote access - TC8305C Gateway

I am trying to connect a D-Link DCS-5020L Network camera to my home network so that I can check on my 99 yr old father that lives with us.  I have successfully connected it to my network and have no trouble using my iPhone to watch and control it as long as I am connected to my wifi network.

My internet gateway is a Technicolor TC8305C.

I need to create a port that I can access via WAN using the WAN IP address:smileysilly:ort#.  When I log on to the router and go to Advanced settings, there is a selection for Port Forwarding.  It seems very simple - it want:

format which I set to TCP

Start Port  -- I set to 8080

Stop Port -- I set to 8082   (Range of ports to be forwarded I assumed)

Server IP -- I set to 10.0.0.12 (My camera IP address which I set to fixed IP)

I can ping my WAN address just fine using my iPhone conected using the LTE network but if I check port 8080, 8081 or 8082; they are all closed. I'm using http://www.ping.eu to do the tests.

The manual for the Technicolor router is not helpful at all even explaining the Port forwarding entries and how they are used.  Normally a cisco router will have several screens of setup for DDNS + Port Forwarding.

Can anyone give me help in determining what I need to do to get access through my router? 

Networking Expert
kevj

Re: Can't set up D-Link DCS-5020 Network Camera for remote access - TC8305C Gateway

jcboss76 wrote:

I am trying to connect a D-Link DCS-5020L Network camera to my home network so that I can check on my 99 yr old father that lives with us.  I have successfully connected it to my network and have no trouble using my iPhone to watch and control it as long as I am connected to my wifi network.

My internet gateway is a Technicolor TC8305C.

I need to create a port that I can access via WAN using the WAN IP address:smileysilly:ort#.  When I log on to the router and go to Advanced settings, there is a selection for Port Forwarding.  It seems very simple - it want:

format which I set to TCP

Start Port  -- I set to 8080

Stop Port -- I set to 8082   (Range of ports to be forwarded I assumed)

Server IP -- I set to 10.0.0.12 (My camera IP address which I set to fixed IP)

I can ping my WAN address just fine using my iPhone conected using the LTE network but if I check port 8080, 8081 or 8082; they are all closed. I'm using http://www.ping.eu to do the tests.

The manual for the Technicolor router is not helpful at all even explaining the Port forwarding entries and how they are used.  Normally a cisco router will have several screens of setup for DDNS + Port Forwarding.

Can anyone give me help in determining what I need to do to get access through my router? 

There is a detailed list of how to port forward on the Technicolor gateway here:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/networking-hardware/01-modems-gateways/technicolor/f...

It isn't XBox specific, but it may help. You also only need to forward one port, so the public start and end ports should be the same. Make sure you set the Private Port to the one your camera is listening on.

---------------------------------------
Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor
jcboss76

Re: Can't set up D-Link DCS-5020 Network Camera for remote access - TC8305C Gateway

Thanks for your reply.  That is exactly the way I set up my router except for the Port numbers.  I tried setting both the start and end port to the same port with out success.  I also tried using the exact port in the referenced checklist just to see what would happen.  In all cases I am unable to communicte with the camera from the WAN side. 

I then tried the tool on my iPhone that I used to ping my WAN address which indicated about a 175mS ping round trip but did indicate some packets were lost.  That may be a bunny trail since every test from inside my network pinging outside my network is just fine.

Then I tested the specific port that I had supposedly opened and it is still CLOSED. I tried this for several different port numbers just for the heck of it.  Port 8080, 3074, 80 and 1021.

Is there any other way that I should be checking this or is there anything else that could be preventing the port from being communicated through?  I wonder if Comcast intercepts communications to ports as part of their security provided to customers.  Do I have to change the security setting on my router?  I definately don't want to run with a wide open firewall.

Any help would be appreciated.

Networking Expert
kevj

What is the security level set to on the router? Try setting it to it's lowest level without turning the firewall off. that would probably be the 'Low' setting. I think anything else may prove too restrictive.

Help us to help you!!

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor
jcboss76

My router is set to the lowest security setting.  I guess I could temporarily disable the firewall just to see if I am able to communicate through a port to the Camera?  Can I rule out Comcast intercepting port communications to my IP which is in their domaine??

Contributor
jcboss76

I disabled my firewall completely and tried to check for an open port and it was still shown as closed.

Networking Expert
kevj

Here is a list of the only ports Comcast block:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/list-of-blocked-ports/

My guess is that if the port forwarding is set up correctly, then the issue is probably with the gateway. We have plenty of reports of issues with Comcast supplied gateways not performingas the should, so as a felow Comcast customer,my suggestion would be to go buy your own high quality router, and contact Comcast via the online chat system, andhave them place your gateway in bridge mode, so it acts like a modem, rather than a gateway.That way, you can set up port forwarding on your own router,and control your network yourself.

Help us to help you!!

Contributor
jcboss76

Well I do have a Lynksys (Cisco) Wireless-N Home Router Model WRT120N that I used prior to subscribing to Comcast which worked well for me but I never tried to open any ports for communication. I'll take a look at it and see if it has all the port forwarding functionality that I need.  It would be nice to use a router from Cisco. I'll give it a shot and let you know what happens.  I'll be out of town next week so I'll get back to you after that.

Contributor
jcboss76

I decided to go through support "endless loop" and talk to Comcast support.  I got lots of "help" but every time I would get to where the person really understood the problem they would either transfer me to some other person that could help with the problem and I would start all over from the begining, the person didn't have a clue or I would out right get disconnected.  The one person who seemed to really understand the ins and outs of networking, I lost when he sent me to someone who could correct my WAN IP address.  Before I lost him, we tried everything but I was unable to communicate through a port to my camera.  In the end he felt that either the Technicolor router was malfunctioning which seems to have happened before or the problem was because my WAN IP address is actually an illegal IP address according to him and to the info we googled up.  My WAN IP address ends in a .0  ie xx.xxx.xxx.0 and it was clear to him that this was illegal since both .0 and .255 are supposed to be reserved or or not allowed in the IP protocol.  I was not successful in getting anyone to change my WAN IP address.  They tried a reconnect from their end but I kept getting reassigned the same WAN IP Address.

New Visitor
Humanparody

Don't laugh, but have you tried unplugging the router and plugging it back in?

Just wrapped up FINALLY getting my dvr to reconnect after upgrading to the Arris gateway....6 months ago. I simply could not get port 8080 to forward, or even show as open when pinging. Just like you, I could view from within the network, but no-go from outside the network. What finally worked was a simple reboot of the router and it seemed to finally open the port. If your router settings has a reboot function, I'd go that route verses unplugging for a proper shutdown/startup.

Also, one last thought since it seems to have been covered in every other similar thread but I didn't see it here. When you are checking through your WAN address, are you sure you are not still connecting THROUGH the local network? You need to be off the local network when you check or it will fail.
Contributor
jcboss76

Thanks HumanParody for your response. I have rebooted the router several times both by unplugging and by using the reboot command with no success.  I just got back from a week trip and I am just getting back into the problem now.  And yes I am sure that I was pinging from outside the local network.

My WAN address assigned dynamically ?  by Comcast  ends in :0 (ie xxx:xxx:xxx:0 ).  I am still trying to track down if having a WAN address that ends in :0  is really a problem or not since  0 and 255 are reserved addresses in the protocol description but I don't know if it causes any misbehaviour of the router. 

I may have to just get Comcast to put my modem in pass through mode or get my own modem so I can use a router that I know handles ports.

New Visitor
Humanparody

Another dumb question, you are attempting to log into your public IP, correct? Not the internal.
Contributor
jcboss76

Yes, it always helps to check out the obvious.  Yes, I am able to connect to the camera via my LAN inside my firewall using the IP address of 10.1.1.12:2555 which is the IP address of the Camera. 

Strangely enough I am also able to access the camera by specifying my WAN address with port number while accessing via my internal network ie  69.181.xxx.0:2555.

As soon as I come into my WAN address from outside my network ie using the LTE network with my iPhone, the connection fails.  So I know that at least interal to my network, the port forwarding is working but as soon as I go through Comcast to my WAN address and port, it fails.

I guess the Technicolor router must recognize it's WAN address even from inside the network and reroutes the packets to my Camera at 10.0.0.12:2555.

This may imply that Comcast is actually preventing this port from being accessed before it ever gets to my router when the packets come via the Internet.  I have tried many different port numbers and I studied the Comcast document which indicates which addresses they acknowledge that they block.

It just seems like a very simple problem that defies a logical solution.  So obviously some of my assumptions are wrong about how Comcast communicates with my gateway.  I wonder where they strip off the VOIP communications for my phone?

Contributor
jcboss76

OOPs I meant to indicate a camera IP address of 10.0.0.12:2555 in both places in my previous post. Just a typo.

Connection Expert
JamesR

Just a quick tip.  in the upper right hand corner of your post is an Icon named "Options"  if you click on that icon you can edit your original post to clean up typos etc.

New Visitor
Humanparody

Are you able to set a different port for your camera? I'm using 8080, so you would at least know that Comcast definitely does not block that port. Have you checked to see that the port is open at www.canyouseeme.org?
That would be a great place to start. Also, while you are logged in through the WAN IP within you network, check your DVR's "currently logged in"
list and see what IP the DVR is seeing you as. I'd imagine your router is simply redirecting the traffic within your LAN and port forwarding may not
actually come into play.

I would also try temporarily disabling your firewall to rule that out as the hangup.
The last thing I can think to check would be if your DVR has a trusted MAC address filter that may have been set.
I'm definitely scratching my head. Are you setting your port forward to UDP? Just thinking of some mundane detail that may have been overlooked.
Contributor
jcboss76

Thanks for the suggestions.

I went ahead and changed the forwarded port in my router to 8080 and changed the listening port of my camera to 8080.  I used CanYouSeeMe.org to check my port and it came back with ERROR: Connection Timed Out.

Then I turned off the router firewall completely and I still got a Connection Timed Out Error.

I also tried port 80 which I think is the default internet port and it should respond to that but that also timed out.

It's almost as if my IP address is invisable???

Networking Expert
kevj

I really think you are wasting your time messing with the Comcast gateway. Get it bridged, and use your own router, and I think you will find all these issues will magically go away...

Help us to help you!!

Contributor
jcboss76

Thanks Kevj, 

I plan on doing that and I already sent a message to a couple of Comcast people who have helped other people bridge their routers.  I assume that the VOIP for the phone is on a separate IP address even though it is in the same unit? 

I guess I just wanted to understand why it's not working as it should or if I was actually doing something wrong. I worked for many years writing instrument firmware and then as a project manager and I wouldn't have let defects like this get out into the field.

Networking Expert
kevj

jcboss76 wrote:

Thanks Kevj, 

I plan on doing that and I already sent a message to a couple of Comcast people who have helped other people bridge their routers.  I assume that the VOIP for the phone is on a separate IP address even though it is in the same unit? 

I guess I just wanted to understand why it's not working as it should or if I was actually doing something wrong. I worked for many years writing instrument firmware and then as a project manager and I wouldn't have let defects like this get out into the field.

Bridging the gateway will not affect the voice capabilities. You shouldn't need to change anything with your Comcast Voice service.

Unfortunately, when it comes to finding out why port forwarding isn't working, there isn't too much we can do. It seems that the custom firmware that Comcast has installed on these devices may have 'issues'. Many of the most basic features of a consumer router have been made unavailable to the end users, so it is possible that the changes to lock us out of those features have had unexpected effects on others functionality. Given the wide customer base, the percentage of users that need 'advanced' features is probably quite low, so Comcast may not feel that is necessary to make any changes to fix the problems. 

Help us to help you!!

Contributor
jcboss76

Hi Kevj and others- I was able to get ComcastLarry to place my TC8305C into bridge mode.
Now I am posting this using my iPhone on the LTE network because I have no internet access! ;-(
I connected my Lynksys router to port 1 of my Gateway and my computer to hard port 1 of my router.
I set the acquisition method to HDCP, saved it and then rebooted the router.
The router was unable to secure a WAN IP address. I tried multiple times and completely recycled power on both but
No success.

Before I disconnected my computer from the bridged gateway, my computer briefly secured a
WAN I P address and my browser displayed my home page after a few tries. I sent a message to
Comcast Larry asking him to try again.

Any thoughts?
Networking Expert
kevj

[ Edited ]

jcboss76 wrote:
Hi Kevj and others- I was able to get ComcastLarry to place my TC8305C into bridge mode.
Now I am posting this using my iPhone on the LTE network because I have no internet access! ;-(
I connected my Lynksys router to port 1 of my Gateway and my computer to hard port 1 of my router.
I set the acquisition method to HDCP, saved it and then rebooted the router.
The router was unable to secure a WAN IP address. I tried multiple times and completely recycled power on both but
No success.

Before I disconnected my computer from the bridged gateway, my computer briefly secured a
WAN I P address and my browser displayed my home page after a few tries. I sent a message to
Comcast Larry asking him to try again.

Any thoughts?

Has the Linksys router been factory reset since it was last used. You shouldn't have to do that, if you have the WAN setup for DHCP, and your PC set up for DHCP also, but factory resetting the router might be worth a shot.

Is the gateway a telephony gateway with a battery backup? If so, just powercycling may not be sufficient. You may need to remove the battery.

Help us to help you!!

Contributor
jcboss76

Yes, that was the first thing I did to make sure I didn't miss something. I have been reading some post about the
TC8305C continuing to interfere even when in the Bridge mode but others said they were successful.
I have to admit I am beginning to feel like Comcast is stacking the cards against me.

I guess I can call support and see if they can try resetting the connection. If they ping my port from their end, and
nothing is listening, they should realize there is a problem.
Contributor
jcboss76

I've been playing around with setting a
static WAN address for my router and any
time I try to set an address that ends in a .0 ,
it immediately gives me an error message "Invalid IP Address".
As I said before, the WAN address that I was
Assigned ended on a .0 . So it is possible that when
DHCP tries to assign an address that ends in 0, my router
refuses it and errors out.

Does this sound like a plausible explanation?
Networking Expert
kevj

You can't assign a static IP to your WAN connection unless Comcast have given you one. In general, IP subnetting should allow the use of IP addresses that end in .0 as long as the address is not the network address for the subnet it is in.

You could try cloning the MAC address of one of your PCs on your routers WAN link. That should change the IP address you get when you reboot the router and modem.

Help us to help you!!

Contributor
jcboss76

Right, I was just trying to determine if my router would complain if an address ending in zero would be a problem. So I tried entering an address that ended in zero and it would not accept it.

Anyway I have been defeated by Comcast support. When I talk to them they say everything looks fine but my router does not get a IP address. Also the wireless is still enabled and the address they are looking at is totally different than what I saw when I was connected. I think they are looking at the Ip of some other portion of my multipurpose gateway. Then they transfer me and I get dropped so I have to start all over. I did this for se veral hours and even tried to sign up for signature support but they dropped me again.

At this point I don't care about porting any more, I'm just trying to get then to put my Gateway back the way it was.
Contributor
jcboss76

There is a a setting in my router that allows cloning my computers MAC so I did it, enabled, and reset my router and gateway/ modem with no better success in acquiring a DCHP assigned IP Address
Networking Expert
kevj

Try connecting the PC directly to the bridged gateway again, and reboot both. Does your PC get a public IP?

Help us to help you!!

Contributor
jcboss76

Ok I removed the battery and unplugged my gateway (TC8350C) and powered off my computer. I plugged the LAN line from my desktop into port 1 of the TC8350. I plugged the TC8360 back in and then powered up my computer. I still get no connection!!

I don't think my gateway was bridged correctly! For example I still see a WiFi signal on my IPhone and the WiFi light on the front of the TC8350 is flashing. All other lights are solid on. I tried to connect but I can't connect using the password I had before this all started.

Contributor
jcboss76

Yesterday I sent a private message to ComcastLarry asking him to un-bridge my TC8350C. I told him I had given up trying to make this work. Nothing has happened and no response from him. I' m planning to call support and sign up for Signature support for $14.95 per month and then see if they can get me
Connected again. I'll have to brace myself for a frustrating experience of some tech that don't know what they are doing and getting transferred and dropped. Hopefully I'll get someone who really knows what he is doing and will fix it.

I appreciate your assistance on this but I need to get reconnected and evidently I need Help from the Comcast side of the connection.
Contributor
jcboss76

I just got off the phone with support and they said the best way to unbridge
My gateway was to do a hard reset using the pin hole on the back of the TC8350c gateway.

I did that and now I have internet access and a brand new WAN address from what it used to be!

I may try port forwarding again just for the "fun" of it but unless it just works as it is supposed to , I'm done trying to get Comcast to do anything out of their mainstream services.
Contributor
jcboss76

Well I am a little confused but I am back to ground zero ie I have the original connection re established.

It is strange what happened. I connected my computer up to the TC8350 port 1 and did a hard reset. My computer connected to the
WAN but using whatismyip.com indicated an address of 50.174.xxx.132 but I couldn't sign into the TC8350 and the wireless wouldn't work.

I did a second hard reset of the TC8350 (pin in the reset hole) and now everything works as original. I even have my original WAN address back of 69.181.xxx.0.
All my devices connect etc.

It seems like for a few minutes the TC8350 was in Bridge Mode and the the second reset took it out of Bridge mode.

Well it's been "fun". See you around.
Networking Expert
kevj

So have you given up, or is your port forwarding working OK now?

Help us to help you!!

Contributor
jcboss76

I haven't yet tried to set up the port forwarding again because I had gotten really behind with my internet access down for 2 days. Right now I'm pretty frazzled trying to work with Comcast. The only solution that I see is to completely replace my all in one gateway with a modem, VOIP interface and a router but right
now I have other more important things to do with Christmas coming up fast.
I'll probably tinker a little with the camera.
I'll probably have to use a security service if I really decide I need to keep an eye on my 99 yr old dad when we are out.

Kind of a bummer because it should have been relatively simple. I just changed from ATT to Comcast. High speed but.....
Contributor
jcboss76

This will be my final post on this thread. I will mark this as a solution because it solved my problem.

I found a Remote Desktop application that is really slick, mostly solves my problem and avoids the port forwarding problem.
The application is LogMeIn. It has great reviews and costs $9.99 per year when you install the app on your mobile device.

I have my DLink camera application running on my home computer which allows me to view and control any cameras that I have connected to my home WiFi or I can log into the cameras directly. The LogMeIn program is running in the background. I can then use the LogMeIn app on my iPhone or iPad to log into my home computer. The LogMeIn app is really slick and is easy to use.

You can go to LogMeIn.com to check it out. This is not as elegant as just accessing a port but it solves my problem and also gives me the side benefit my having access to everything else I have stored at home.
New Visitor
dpgus

Well, thank you jcboss76 for posting your adventure of trying to get a port open on an IP camera for WAN viewing.

Unfortunately, I read the first post which indicated problem solved. Wow, my hopes soared until reading your final post.

For the last two days I have been trying to do the same thing, and tried all the steps that you have and again with the same result. The only thing I did not do was contact customer support, but alas that was my next step which brought me to this forum which pretty much answered all the questions I had. (Without wasting a lot of time on the phone merry-go-round with customer service).

I know this post has been viewed by numerous people, but unfortunately it does not appear anyone has received information or a real solution from Xfinity/Comcast support.

The only positive information I have that I will give is, I did have a set of Lorex Ping IP cameras and integrated them in my network. Again using their downloaded software I am able to view my cameras over WAN with both Windows and Android based OS. The only drawback is the cameras do not support pan/tilt option.

Ohh well, maybe sometime in the future this problem will be addressed by Comcast and I will be able to dig my Loftek CSX 2200 out of mothballs.