New Visitor

Can you have HIGH speed Internet and Cable TV coming from one cable jack?

I have my HS Internet set up in my office AND I want to connect a TV to that same outlet. can this be done? If so, how? I'm thinking along the lines of a splitter...but I hear some thing about the need for a "filter" for the TV if it's hooked to a HS Internet cable line.
New Visitor

Re: Can you have HIGH speed Internet and Cable TV coming from one cable jack?

Yep, you need a splitter, and you shouldnt need a filter.
New Visitor

You need both a "T" splitter and a filter -- but if you paid for both TV and Internet, you should already have them. If you add them yourself without a paid contract, I'm sure the company will recover more than you saved whenever they find out. And it's not too hard to find out, if they go looking (I'm thinking of reflectometers).

The splitter merely divides the cable input down two paths, each now weaker (6dB?) than the original. The cable modem has its own filtering to block TV signals, so it can connect straight to the cable or the splitter. Analog TV (and set-top boxes) on the other hand may be sensitive to digital internet signals, so that leg of the splitter needs an appropriate filter. Note that I'm looking at an analog TV setup; with digital TV and set-top boxes, the filter may go away.
New Visitor

I am doing this as we speak I had to use a filter and a spliter.

the good person that installed it hook me up.
New Visitor

Nice go ahead and just assume that he is stealing cable. Its people like you that that have a negative outlook that should not be helping people. All he asked was did he need a spliiter and filter and yes he does need both.

You need a "tap". Cable goes from the wall to the input. The cable modem connect to the TAP output and the TV with filter connects to the OUT connector.
Message was edited by: Anonymous
Regular Contributor

lol that guy was stoopid posting on here asking cuz comcast has our acocunt info and they will come after him!
Contributor

Yes, just get a 1 GHTZ splitter, not a cheapo one, and make a patch cable from your wall outlet to the splitter. Then hook the TV to one side and the Cable Modem to the other. Been using that set up for almost 8 months without any troubles. You will not get into trouble with Comcast, in fact they'll tell you its fine that way as long as your paying for both services. You need to splice into a TV line somewhere, it makes no difference where you do so. Needing a special filter makes no sense unless some Cable Modems are not supplied with something that mine is. I'm using a Motorola, highly recomended, and it works flawlessly. Good Luck....
New Visitor

A few folks say yes and a few say no . . .

Just for the records . . . I'm not stealing anything because I'm paying for both HS Internet and Digital cable in my condo. So Comcast is getting a piece of me every month! LOL Also, I didn't take that one person's message on a negative note ... so it's all good! The room I'm wanting to split was set up ONLY for HS Internet. I noticed at the junction box (wiring closet) there are some "filter looking" things on the two cables going to my living room connection (cable TV -- no internet), and my master bedroom (cable TV -- no internet) and nothing on the line that goes to the 2nd bedroom (Internet only). That's where my question on a filter came up...if I split the 2nd bedroom connection -- currently the internet coneection -- I was wondering if my TV would have problems with the signal.

Thanks for everyone's reply!
New Visitor

I would put a filter on it. I took it off at my previous address and got some strange atrifacting and fuzz on the tv side of things. I put the filter back on and it worked just fine. Get the splitter and try it using just the splitter. If you get problems on the tv side then get the filter and that will solve the problem more than likely.
Bronze Star Contributor

Go to Radio Shack and get a splitter and a patch coax cable and you'll be find. You don't a filter, just the cable modem.
New Visitor

Whether you need a filter or not will depend on YOUR location and circumstances. Sometimes a filter is necessary and sometimes it is not. It depends on signal strength, cable length, connector quality, splices, etc. Try it first without the filter, if all is good you're done. If not, apply a filter.
Regular Contributor

in all reality that is what you call stealing cable!! lol, but look on the bright side, were all paying for this crap and wer'e having all these problems!! so he might as well get his money"s worth!!
New Visitor

You need a splitter but you dont need a filter at all
Comcast is going away from the filters
New Visitor

You should have used spell check!
New Visitor

It depends on the The Downstream Power Level you are getting. A splitter reduces the level by 3.5 db's, so closer your signal is to -18 db's the better chance your signal will drop out.
Connection Expert
EG

Connection Expert
EG

Ten year old thread closed.