Contributor

Cannot connect to Internet with Linksys WRT54G

I'm not able to get onto the Internet with my Linksys WRT54G router.

I can connect to the Internet by using an Ethernet cable to connect my laptop directly to the cable modem. I can connect to the wireless router using my laptop and Netgear WG511 wireless network card. But as soon as I use the same Ethernet cable to connect the cable modem (Terayon TJ 715X) to the WRT54G, my wireless network goes down. The router's red Diag light fast blinks for a while, then slow blinks a couple of times, then all of the lights go on and off once (rebooting?) and then the cycle starts again. During this time the Internet Link/Act light blinks constantly.

By the way, my laptop has no problem connecting to the Linksys WRT54G at work (although I don't know the firmware version used there). Only thing that is different there (that I know about) is that our IT guy edited my "Hosts" file to get things to work.

I've tried a variety of things, including going back to defaults (long reset) on the router, moving the firmware back to what I think is the latest Linksys version WRT54GV2_2.04.3_US_code.exe), although I'd like to use the Satori version. I've tried to eliminate interference, changed channels, used a different computer and network card. I've tried closing down ZoneAlarm (but I've not tried uninstalling it completely... should that matter?). Anyway, so far no luck.

More info below, in case this helps (I hope sharing this info doesn't compromises my security permanently).

Any suggestions?

KP
-----------------------------------------

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition SP1

Wireless PC Card: NETGEAR Driver 2.1.22.0

ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : KIPSony
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : attbi.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-00-46-68-A0-34
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 67.170.21.103
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 67.170.21.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 12.242.16.34
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 204.127.198.4
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 06, 2004 3:50:26 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 06, 2004 4:50:26 PM

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WG511 54 Mbps Wireless PC Card #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-09-5B-45-78-92
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.120
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 06, 2004 3:56:03 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 06, 2004 4:01:03 PM

Information from the Linksys WRT54G Router:

Router Status tab

Firmware Version: Satori-4.0 v2.07.1.7sv
Current Time: Not Available
MAC Address: 00:06:25:F9:8B:C1
Router Name: MAGNOLIA
Host Name:
Domain Name:
Uptime: 00:00:52 up 0 min, load average: 0.03, 0.01, 0.00

Configuration Type
Login Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0
DNS 1:
DNS 2:
DNS 3:

Local Network tab

MAC Address: 00:06:25:E9:15:F5
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server: Enabled
Start IP Address: 192.168.1.120
End IP Address: 192.168.1.169

Wireless tab

MAC Address: 00:06:25:E9:15:F5
Mode: AP
Network: Mixed
SSID: Patrick.1717.Magnolia
DHCP Server: Enabled
Channel: 2147439379
Rate: unknown mbps
Encryption: Disabled
Clients: 00:09:5B:45:78:92 rssi -56

Other info from the router: Firewall protection is "On" currently, although I tried switching this off to no avail.
Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Cannot connect to Internet with Linksys WRT54G

Well, the problem definitely seems to be the router no liking the Terayon modem. the router certainly should not be reseting itself continously when something is connecting on the WAN port.

The very first thing I would do here is reload the 2.04.3 firmware from Linksys. Set the Satori load aside for now (although I don't think that's the problem). then reset the router to factory default settings. Order is important here. Latest Linksys firmware first, then the factory reset. Do this with nothing plugged into the WAN port. Then power it down and the cable modem. Power up the cable modem, let it connect, then plug in the router to the modem and power up the router. Does it do the power cycle thing again? I expect it does, but if it doesn't, continue on and try connecting your laptop to the router. What happens?

I suspect you have a router hardware problem here, causing the mips Linux kernel in the router to just crash and boot again, over and over (hence the cycling of the front LED's). If after toding this, the router continues to power cycle when connected to the cable modem, replace it.
Most Valued Poster

The problem is this: your laptop still thinks it has the IP address that Comcast gave you, but the router does not give out that IP. open up network connections, right-click on your wireless connection and you should see an option that says repair. What the repair function should do is release the IP your laptop still thinks it has, and then renew an IP from the router. This under most circumstances should work.
Networking Expert
Baric

That won't have any effect on the router continually reseting itself.
Contributor

Thank you for the response Baric. I was hoping to attract your expert advice.

I went thru the steps you suggested. The router took the firmware change just fine. The factory defaults are back:

Firmware Version: v2.04.3, Jun. 24, 2004
Current Time: Not Available
MAC Address: 00:06:25:F9:8B:C1
Router Name: WRT54G
Host Name:
Domain Name:

But, same problems as before. As you feared, the power cycle thing happens still. Since this router worked before I started messing with things to get a stronger signal (adding a directional antenna and then the Santori upgrade) is it possible that I did something to fry the WAN port? I was hopeful that it was just a setting that I had wrong.
Contributor

lureofthedarkside: Thanks for the reply. I don't think this is the issue, but I tried what you suggested, without success.

Wireless Network Connection 4
Enabled
IP Address: 192.168.1.120
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Assigned by DHCP

Access Point
Network: Patrick.1717.Magnolia
Encryption: Enabled
Signal Stength: Excellent

(An aside: I don't know what the Encryption: Enabled thing means. I have disabled WEP in the Network setting
and on the router)

This looks like the router has assigned the IP Address to me. But let me know if I'm missing something.
Contributor

> That won't have any effect on the router continually
> reseting itself.

You were right on this as well, Baric.

More potentially helpful information - when I connect my laptop to the WRT54G WLAN port with an ethernet cable it does the power cycle thing too. I can still connect to the WRT54G with my wireless card, but not directly through the WLAN port. Is there anything else I can do to check if the WLAN port is bad (or some related hardware failure)?
Networking Expert
Baric

Since you pulled a DHCP IP lease from the router, your're talking to the router. The problem resides between the router and the cable modem. And bare in mind, if you chhange security settings on the router, you have to make the same changes on the client or it won't work.
Networking Expert
Baric

It shouldn't do that. This is why I think the router has a hardware problem centered around the WAN port. I'd just replace the router at this point, I think it's pretty obvious it's got a fault.
New Visitor

> More potentially helpful information - when I connect
> my laptop to the WRT54G WLAN port with an ethernet
> cable it does the power cycle thing too.

I assume that you meant "LAN" port and not "WLAN" port.
Contributor

Mr. Pher - Yes I learned that I was using the wrong terminology, but the correct port.
Contributor

Baric - I purchased a new WRT54G and got it up and running without a hitch. It took the Santori firmware upgrade and my directional antenna - and I'm happy. Now, my wife (who thinks I spent way too much time working on this over the past week) is another story.

Thanks for your help!
Networking Expert
Baric

Glad you're up and running. Your wife...well, that's your problem :smileyhappy:.