Contributor

Cannot locate IP address (on wireless connection)

I'm at my witt's end!!! I just installed the Netgear router on my computer and my laptop detects the device but is unable to connect to the internet. It says that it cannot locate IP address. I've gone to the comand prompt and typed ping www.comcast.net ... I've typed in the IP address where it asks for it, still nothing. I've turned my desktop off (because I read 2 computers on the router can't both be connected to comcast on the same account (is that true)? I've done everything!!! Any advice???? :smileysad: :smileysad: :smileysad:
Most Valued Poster
DrDUH

Re: Cannot locate IP address (on wireless connection)

set router to use DHCP
Networking Expert
Baric

First off, power cycle your cable modem and make sure the router is properly connected to it using the WAN/Internet port on the router.  At this point it should all just work unless your computer or router is setup oddly (like the Doc's suggestion make sure the router is using DHCP to talk to Comcast).  If you're still having trouble, do several things:

1. Tell us the model of router you're using and give us the information from it's Status and Setup pages.
2. Reset the router to factory defaults (see you manual).  This usually involves pressing and holding the reset button on rear of the device for 10-30 seconds.
3. Post the output of "ipconfig /all" when things don't work.
4. Check your cables to make sure all connections are good and tight and that the cables are in good working order.  Always nice to have a few spare good cables around for testing.
Contributor

Here are my settings:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Documents and Settings\Alan A. Gray>ipconfig
Windows IP Configuration

Windows IP Configuration
        Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : alan
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:
        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
roller
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-56-56-7B-E9
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::20d:56ff:fe56:7be9%4
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
                                            fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                            fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                            fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, July 30, 2006 5:28:04 PM
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, July 31, 2006 3:04:00 PM
Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5445:5245:444f%5
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
        NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-A8-01-02
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.2%2
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                            fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                            fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
        NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
C:\Documents and Settings\Alan A. Gray>

It appears that DHCP is enabled (according to my router) but not to this!! I have the Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless router.

I have restarted everything. How can I enable DHCP?
Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]
What you see here is not your router, it's your computer's configuration.  It looks fine and in fact it appears to be talking to the router no problem.  To get your router's status, see your manual for complete instructions.  In short, you simply point your browser at http://192.168.1.1 and use the default user and password (or whatever you changed it to when you installed it).

And you still haven't told use what router you have.  We need the model number, not some vague description or title.  Netgears makes many different wireless-g routers.

Did you reset the router to factory defaults?  This is not a simple reboot, you have to follow the exact reset procedure for your router.

Do you ahve one of those digitial telephony modems, like the Arris?  If so, you have to use the reset button, removing the power cord is not enough, these puppies have batteries in them and they are designed to work for a long time without direct AC power.

Message Edited by Baric on 07-30-2006 09:43 PM

Contributor

sorry, my exact router is netgear WGR614. I did reset and my connection is fine with my desktop....it's just when I try to get my laptop to login to the wireless connection that I'm running into this problem. It (my laptop) does dectect all wireless connections in my area, but when I try to connect to the Netgear connection, it find the connection but cannot find the IP address....therefore, it's not logging in.
Networking Expert
Baric

So the ipconfig your posted aboce was from the desktop?  That's not what I need to see, I need to see the output on the laptop.  And without the config information on the router, it's hard to say.  Problems of this type are usually user error, where they have the router configured one way, and their laptop another.  My suggestion is remove the wireless security settings on the router and on the laptop and see if it connects then.  If no, you have a more basic problem and need to reinstall drivers.  If it does work, then you problem is a simple settins mismatch.  What wireless client are you using?  What are the security settings you are using on the laptop?  How about the router?  Does the laptop work when connected to the router by an ethernet cable?
Contributor

The laptop works perfectly fine when connected to the cable modem directly. It's when the router is hooked up that the laptop finds the signal, just doesn't connect. I disabeled security on both...still nothing. I don't have any drivers to install. Comcast didn't give me any CDs when they hooked up my internet and the only CD that came with the router has directions on it. Hmmmm...maybe I'm just an **bleep** and need to place the router CD in my laptop also??? The wireless client is something through my work.......I connect into the intrAnet at work....and when I come home I used to be able to connect to the internet by unplugging my desktop and plugging the cable into my laptop....then an at&t client allows me into my works' intra net from my home. Maybe that is the problem.....? I'm stumped. Thanks!
Contributor

Hmmm.....so when I arrived at work this a.m. my internet was not working. I called the helpdesk and it looks like my driver was corrupt. They helped me reintall it, so we'll see what happens when I get home tonight! :smileyhappy: Maybe that was the problem afterall???
Email Expert

We need to see what ipconfig says on the laptop when you're trying to connect it through the wireless connection.
Networking Expert
Baric

There are no Comcast drivers, this has nothing whatsoever to do with Comcast, it's purely between your laptop and the router.  Until we see some config information, it's really hard to help.  And you description of your work access makes it more complicated, it sounds like you have a VPN setup of some sort.  Talk to your work IT folks and see what they say about home wireless access while their software is installed or active.
Contributor

Yep...I do have a VPN set up. I wonder if that's what's causing the problem? IThere are many people at my work who work from home and they've told me that all they did was get a router and tha'ts it. I don't know why I'm having problems.

I'll post my ipconfig from my laptop when I get home (if the problem still persists).

Thank you!

Bronze Star Contributor
thecreator65

Hi slo2jo,

In order for the laptop to connect to the Router, the router must have the Radio on and be broadcasting the SSID. Once you are connected, turn off the SSID. Worry about the VPN setup after you are connected from the Laptop to the Router.

Are you securing your Network with a Network Key?

thecreator -
Bronze Star Contributor
thecreator65

>. I've turned my desktop off (because I read 2 computers on the router can't both be connected to comcast on the same account (is that true)? I've done everything!!! Any advice????

Hi slo2jo,

Seeing you wrote this, I called up Comcast Repair, to inquire about this fact. That's wrong, because you are on a Router. You can have both computers on at the same time and on the Internet. This is what a router is for. To have two computers or more sharing a single connection.

The laptop might be able to see the Router, but it must connect to the Router, before it can access the Internet.

Also note, that both computers or even a single computer, doesn't need to ever visit www.comcast.net and sign into your Account. As long as you pay, they don't care.

thecreator -
Networking Expert
Baric

If you are using a VPN, make sure your router's firmware is upgraded to the latest version and make sure you have VPN passthrough turned on or it won't work.  In general, do NOT start the VPN client unless you need to access your work internal network.  Otherwise, it's just a resource pig and does nothing but get in the way.
Email Expert

thecreator65 wrote:

In order for the laptop to connect to the Router, the router must have the Radio on and be broadcasting the SSID. Once you are connected, turn off the SSID.

It is NOT necessary for the router to broadcast the SSID.  That's only necessary if you want client's to be able to detect the network automatically.  If the router isn't broadcasting the SSID, you can still enter it manually into the laptop's wireless settings.  In general, broadcasting the SSID is only appropriate if you're not using any encryption on the wireless network; if you are, you're going to have to enter the encryption key manually, and entering the SSID is not any harder (you can think of the SSID and encryption key as being like a username and password for the wireless system).
Bronze Star Contributor
thecreator65

Hi Barmar,

>  if you are, you're going to have to enter the encryption key manually, and entering the SSID is not any harder (you can think of the SSID and encryption key as being like a username and password for the wireless system).

Very true. But if you are having problems, connecting and locating your IP Address, then it is best to broadcast it, until the problem is solved. Upgraded today the firmware to my D-Link router and had to turn on Broadcasting until I was able to reconnect.

thecreator -
Networking Expert
Baric

People have differing opinions on whether to broadcast the SSID or not.  I'm firmly in the DON'T BROADCAST camp.  But for troubleshooting a problem, I agree, turn it on until you have it working properly.