New Visitor

Cant detect wireless network

I recently had to reformat my laptops HD, and reinstall windows. Because of this I lost my wireless networking information, er my ability to detect my network at all. I have a linksys router and wireless card, but after reinstalling the wireless card it says that their is no signal from the router/access point.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?
New Visitor

Re: Cant detect wireless network

Forgot to mention that I also cant even finds the network on the desktop PC. But that isnt connect wirelessly, thats connected directly to the router.
Most Valued Poster
N3tb0y

Suggest you connect your laptop to the router via ethernet cable. Hopefully you remember the passwords to get in.

If you setup any type of security, you will need to get this from the router.

Also, what model of linksys router do you have? Do you still have the manual that came with it? If you don't have the manual, just goto the Linksys website and search on your router model and search any FAQs there.
But don't take my word for it, ask a Comcast Forum Expert, or goto http://www.dslreports.com/
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Signature courtesy of Bladerunner
New Visitor

Comcast Linksys WCG200-CC Router.

Will give that a try thanks.
Most Valued Poster
N3tb0y

> Forgot to mention that I also cant even finds the
> network on the desktop PC. But that isnt connect
> wirelessly, thats connected directly to the router.

From this additional info, you do not have DHCP setup on the router. Do you have written down somewhere your network settings, ie internal IP address, should be 192.168.x.x,, if you changed from the default.

If you don't have the network settings, you will need to reset your router back to the factory default settings. There is a button marked "Reset" on the back of most Linksys routers, you need to hold this button in for a certain amount of time. Suggest you goto the Linksys website, under support find your model router, and search for 'factory reset'. Follow the instructions on setting up the router.

You basically are going to have to start from scratch on setting up the router. Goto the top of this forum, and follow instructions on securing wireless router.
But don't take my word for it, ask a Comcast Forum Expert, or goto http://www.dslreports.com/

Most Valued Poster
N3tb0y

> Comcast Linksys WCG200-CC Router.
>
> Will give that a try thanks.

Userid: Comcast
Password: 1234

Is the default settings to get into the router.

New Visitor

Ok, I've reconnected to the network .

BUT,

I am know getting a message saying "this connection has little or no connectivity", so I am connected but have to internet access.

Its saying that it cant find the network address (my laptops IP.)
Message was edited by: FFVIIfreak
New Visitor

I'm experiencing the same thing. Mine is a Linksys WRT54G V4.20.7 somehting. It started when I revised my router settings to turn on WEP encryption. I did return to the original IP address but still no connection to the web. My signal is good, just no connection.

I plan to contact my ISP for advice and will go back online with Linksys if necessary.

If someone has the magic pill, I've got a headache.
Networking Expert
Baric

WEP is a very bad idea. It's not secure, you should only use WPA. That said, if this happened when you made the change, then what probably happened is your did not configure your wireless client system to match the settings on the router. You have to provide your client with the proper WEP key and index, or algorithm and pre-shared key with WPA for it to work properly.