New Visitor
Kawan

Changing wireless-routers with Xfinity cable-modem

My current Linksys WRT54G wireless-router is starting to fail and I am replacing it with a Netgear WGR614 wireless-router. After plugging the Netgear into the Xfinity cable-modem, I can connect to the Netgear admin-console via 192.168.1.1. However, I cannot get an Internet connection even after trying the standard or manual settings on the wireless-router.

Does the Xfinity cable-model hard-code the MAC address from the previous Linksys wireless-router, so that it doesn't recognize the MAC address of the new Netgear wireless-router?

Please let me know if anyone else has seen this problem.

Thanks,.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Re: Changing wireless-routers with Xfinity cable-modem

With the netgear connected powercycle the modem, then powercycle the netgear. See if that helps.
Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Changing wireless-routers with Xfinity cable-modem

[ Edited ]

Kawan wrote:

Does the Xfinity cable-model hard-code the MAC address from the previous Linksys wireless-router, so that it doesn't recognize the MAC address of the new Netgear wireless-router?

Close.  The router's MAC is not hard coded, but it is saved in the modem's internal memory.  In order to erase it to allow a new router to be connected (or any other device, really), you need to reset the cable modem.  For regular cable modems, simply power cycle it by pulling the power cord for a few seconds and plugging it back in.  When it's connected back up to Comcast, connect the new router's WAN port to the ethernet port on the modem nad you should be good to go.

For EMTA's (cable modems with phone jacks for Xfinity Voice service), you need to use the Reset button the back, just press and hold until the front lights flash.  these devices have batteries so pullling the power cord does nothing unless you also remove the batteries, which is an alternative method of reseting these ETMA's.  Then just connect the router and go.