New Visitor

Charging for 2nd IP address

What is the deal with charging 6.95 for a second IP address? I think we are paying more than enough already.
Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Charging for 2nd IP address

Well, it's only $4.95 here, and in most instances you're better off buying a router for a one time cost and then connecting as many systems as you like. IP addresses are a precious resource, so it stands to reason if you want more than the one you are allocated with your account, you have to pay for it.
New Visitor

Plus, with a Router you a hardware firewall and the Internet sees the rotuer as the "PC" on the net. It does take a little more work to setup a router on your own, as Comcast will not help. Plus, traffic between your PC is private.
New Visitor

yeah, it makes sense to charge for an additional ip address, but really, i don't see the sense in a customer purchasing one, unless all you have is a switch or hub, but even then, go get yourself a router, or even a wireless router and hook yourself up!
New Visitor

I do have a router. I had to assign a 2nd IP address for my son's online game on his computer and now comcast is charging my 6.95 for the 2nd IP. Does this sound right?
Networking Expert
Baric

If you are running that 2nd computer outside the control of the router, yes. Make your son pay the cost...hehe. No many games require this, only the badly designed ones still need this.
New Visitor
reecerobin

I have a router and only two computers hooked up, one is a wireless laptop, but still getting charged an additonal $4.95 month for additional IP, if I have my own router then how do they know how many ip address I have expecially if one is via wireless.  I called and spoke with a rep and also when a tech came out to remove a digital box and was told by both that since I had the router I should not be getting charged for the extra ip address especially since the laptop is wireless, and that they usually only charge the extra fees for businesses as they have sometimes hundreds of ip address.

Connection Expert
JamesR

Just call in and tell them to take the extra IP address off of your account.