New Visitor

Comcast Cable Thompson Modem Blocking Port Forwararding??

I have a cable internet account with Comcast. I have a Thompson modem connected to a Linksys router. I’m trying to port forward RDP 3389 to a computer in my home LAN. I have done this before at home and other locations so I am familiar with it. I can connect to the RDP XP machine via internal address while at home.

I think something has changed with how I remember my Comcast setup.

On my Linksys router I used to look at the status screen and it would show me the DNS and Public IP address given to me by Comcast DHCP. Now, I see an internal address. My router is 192.168.1.1, it seems my modem from Comcast is 192.168.0.1 and it gives me an internet address of 192.168.0.43.

I’m not sure now what that modem is doing, if its acting as another gateway, and adding another level to get through in order for me to RDP into my house.

I call Comcast support on the phone, they have no idea how to tell me anything helpful, so that was a waste of 45 minutes on the phone.

It appears to me the modem is also a router, and I am double NAT’d or it seems that
SO… I don’t know if its possible for me to gain access to that modem since I do not have a password to enter it or if it is even possible.

All I know is, I cannot RDP into my home network because I believe the ports are not going correctly where I want.

ACG905 is the model of the Thompson. I also use it for home phone service with comcast. But Comcast cannot help me on the phone AT ALL. No one in phone or chat support can give me an answer. Very frustrating. I do not have access to the web panel for this device yet I know if I bring up »192.168.0.1 I see a login box. No access to it, not sure if it would let me do anything anyway. But I really feel I'm being locked ,by that modem somehow.

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Comcast Cable Thompson Modem Blocking Port Forwararding??

New Visitor

Re: Comcast Cable Thompson Modem Blocking Port Forwararding??

jeez... ty for link