New Visitor

Comcast Home Networking

I finally figured out why with the "basic" Comcast High Speed Internet they set you up on different submasks so you can't home network. It's so they can sell you Comcast "Home Networking" where they come and set you up for two computers for a fee of $199, currently $99 on sale and a higher monthly fee.

So thanks for the tips everyone, but this isn't a technical problem but a business one.
Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Comcast Home Networking

Have no idea what you're talking about. Your local lan is your business, all you do is buy a cable router and you only need one IP from Comcast to hook things up. Now, if you (for whatever reason) require more than one public facing IP, then you will have to purchase their networking option. Irregardless, who cares what their subnet masks are? Those are external interfaces not under your control anyway.
Bronze Star Contributor

I'm confused too... I have a home network myself.

What do you mean by set you up on different submasks? You set up the subnet mask yourself inside the router's configuration.

Also, as Baric said, the subnet masks aren't even important! As long as you have 1 IP address purchased, networking should be a breeze.
Bronze Star Contributor

"So thanks for the tips everyone, but this isn't a technical problem but a business one"

Okay, who gave you tips; what topic, what post? What is your problem? Since you don't have an ID, one cannot determine whether you have sought help in the forum.
Bronze Star Contributor
Bronze Star Contributor

One thing I've found is that noone but noone ever tries to "help themselves" before posting, especially the anonymous users. There are countless websites devoted to every Windows, Networking, Broadband topic you can think of. Go to Google and type in some words (if you can post 'em, you can search for 'em) for the topic you're looking for. I can't tell you how much I've learned by researching it myself and asking for help as a last resort. Try the Dummies books. For less than $20, I got the XP for Dummies which has 9 minibooks in 1, including a section on Home Networking ("You could learn alot from The Dummies"). Then there's the ultimate (which I taught my roommate)....click HELP.
And the fun part about doing it yourself is, once you get into those sites, you'll find a lot more topics that'll interest you and you'll keep going back for more.
Try it. You'll love it. :smileywink:
Regular Contributor

> Since you don't have an ID, one
> cannot determine whether you have sought help in the
> forum.

Click on the user name and you'll get a listing of their recent posts. You can usually figure it out from there. However, I wish that folks would just get themselves a unique user name, it sure would make it easier to help them.
Networking Expert
Baric

That's good advice, MGP.
Bronze Star Contributor

Yeah, I know, Joe. While I'm willing to track & reseach to help; associating anony's w/what they post is not something I will do. "Thanks for the tips" is referencing something or someone; I find it difficult to believe that the party did not get an answer from one of the intelligent people that frequent these boards. This suggests otherwise to me; so I made a point :smileywink:

(maybe I'm just a snotty brat :smileygrin:
Regular Contributor

(maybe I'm just a snotty brat :smileygrin:

Heck no, I should have known better, that you wouldn't miss a small detail like that - I've read plenty of your posts and I know that you are among the the helpful & informed.
Bronze Star Contributor

oh come on...it was that one question by anonymous that people replied to :smileysilly:
Bronze Star Contributor

Well, thx.. but yeah, uh-huh, I 'can' be a brat :smileywink:
New Visitor
New Visitor

well how do I setup a home network through my two computers (wireless connection) both using xp? -D
Networking Expert
Baric

Get a wireless router and 2 wireless adapters and follow the instructions that come with each. It's a pretty simple procedure. Only wrinkle is you will probably have to clone the MAC address of the system currentlt connected to the cable modem into the router so Comcast will let it obtain an IP.

If you have specific questions...ask away.
New Visitor

Can anyone explain to me why Outlook is no longer working on any of my computers. I have a wireless network using Linksys BEFW11S4. I have three desktops and one laptop connected to the router. Outlook was working fine up until yesterday. What happened?
Networking Expert
Baric

Are you saying you have no outgoing connection? or is it just Outlook? What did you change? Install or upgrade anything, like virus scanner or firewall? IS this same behavior happening on all systems in exactly the same fashion?
New Visitor

I have a wireless hub hooked up directly to my cable modem. One of my two computers is running a cat5 into the hub, the other connects via a wireless ethernet card. The computer on cat5 was hooked up by comcast and runs fine, the other, I cannot get to connect to the internet. I have no collision lights on the hub, it appears that I connection to my second computer. I called tech support and they were unable to assist with a "network" problem. Any ideas? I would appriciate any insight you can give. I am not computer illiterate, however, I seem to be when it comes to this topic. Thanks! ps. I dont know why this is posting as annonomys, I logged in........
New Visitor

um... Look in the upper right corner of this page. There you will see a link called "Settings" with a red check in front. Go in there and give yourself a username :smileyhappy:
New Visitor

If you are using just I hub you cannot connect to the internet with both computers at the same time. You can however connect your wireless by going through the desktop, using internet connection sharing and another ethernet card, with you wireless hub connected to the desktop.

As a test try logging offline on the desktop then logging on with the laptop. If this works you will have to set-up the internet like I said above or go buy an actual router.

Message was edited by: Anonymous
Message was edited by: Anonymous
New Visitor

Here's a very cheap and reliable solution.

Take a 'Throw Away' PC (an old 386 will even work). Install LINUX
and a second ethernet card. This will give you a KILLER router and
Firewall. The Cook Book recipe link is below. The instructions apply
to all releases and distributions of LINUX.

http://www.linux.se/doc/HOWTO/mini/Home-Network-mini-HOWTO.html
New Visitor

Doesn't the wireless router have one port to wire the first computers ethernet card into? As well as a port for your cable modem? I was planning on not having to buying two wireless adapters for my two computer network, just one.
Networking Expert
Baric

Yes, all wireless routers have at least one ethernet port for direct connecting a PC to configure it. Most common wireless cable/dsl routers have 4 port ethernet switchs so you can go wired and wireless as needed. And yes, there will also be one WAN port to connect to your cable modem's ethernet interface.

You can do that, one wired and one wireless. My previous post said 2 wireless because the question was going all wireless, or that was my understanding. And as long as you buy the adapters and router from the same manufacturer, you can even configure the router from one of your wireless systems, as they will just work and connect up right out of the box. This stuff is real easy to do.
Regular Contributor

"Get a wireless router and 2 wireless adapters and follow the instructions that come with each. It's a pretty simple procedure. Only wrinkle is you will probably have to clone the MAC address of the system currentlt connected to the cable modem into the router so Comcast will let it obtain an IP."

Instead of cloning the MAC you can reset (unplug) the modem. Plug the modem back up, plug router up and it will get a new IP. I beleive the modems cache the last MAC connected to it. So that is why the reset is needed.

As for home networking when using a hub, you will need another IP address. When using a router, the router picks up the IP from comcast, then the router provides internal IP addressing to whatever PCs are connected behind it. Hub is a dummy device, provides no internal IP addressing. So if you connect 2 PCs you will need 2 IPs from comcast.....so forth and so on. Hope that helps.
Networking Expert
Baric

/anon said:
Instead of cloning the MAC you can reset (unplug) the modem. Plug the modem back up, plug router up and it will get a new IP. I beleive the modems cache the last MAC connected to it. So that is why the reset is needed

I am unaware of any caching by the modem of the MAC, but the DHCP server seems to care in some areas. As for the cloning, it's required in some areas, which is why I mention it. Simply cycling the modem has no effect, the router's MAC needs to be registered. But only in some areas. But it's always safe to clone, so just do it and don't worry about it. If moee folks did this, there would be less problems posted here. Just read back through the older posts and you will see what I mean.
Regular Contributor

Yeah I have always heard the modem will and can cache the last MAC connected to it. Maybe a comcast rep could confirm or deny this? I just know that before I had a router I would need to unplug the modem when I connected a different PC. No matter what I would do......connect another PC......release/renew would not get an IP. Shut down the PC, unplug the power to the modem. Plug the modem back up then boot the PC and bam online. Then if I reverted back to the other PC would have to go through the same process. Once I did get the router I had to go through the same process once again. Been online and happy with no problems since. Hope someone chimes in and can confirm if the modem cache the last MAC connected or not. Curious to see why I would have to unplug the modem when switching devices :>
Networking Expert
Baric

I have no idea what I was thinking here. Please ignore me. Of course your cable modem caches the MAC and IP of CPE device(s). Ever since I said this, it bothered me a bit, so I want and did some looking and voila, there it was in black and while on my modem's status page. So that's probably why the power cycling of the modem is necessary, as opposed to my vague and incorrect notion that the DHCP needed the cable modem's MAC removed.

Feeling a little silly at the moment, sigh...