New Visitor
onnasumoru

Comcast Wireless Internet problems & Arris TG862 issues

I have an Arris TG862 (modem/router all-in-one) installed about a month ago and
it's been nothing but trouble. It dropped connection several times and every time
I patiently called Comcast and had them re-send the signal. Then I realized that
my either wireless devices were not getting the wi-fi signal

When I called Comcast with wi-fi problem, I was transferred to Signature people (
who are in India and have extremely static connection) who wanted to help me for a
FEE !!!

I have called Comcast several more times and have been transferred from signature
support who will not talk to me unless I PAY THEM TO TROUBLESHOOT THEIR MODEM.
Keep in mind that I already pay a service fee and I rent their modem but they want
more money to TROUBLESHOOT THE MODEM I RENT FROM THEM. Since I refuse to pay they
keep kicking me back to the Level 1 tech who doesn't’t know much about the product
or wireless period.

This is an UNFAIR business practice. It is Comcast's equipment and their service.
I pay for internet service and I rent the Wireless Gateway for $8 a
month..Therefore, it is THEIR responsibility to see that it works properly.

Not to mention that I have out right hung up on by customer service SEVERAL times
and EVERY time I have requested to speak with a supervisor I am told I will be
called back but this never happens. Also I got so frustrated with customer service
that I requested a service tech come out to check the equipment and outside line
they refused. I was told the problem was on my end, not theirs, and that if I was
not willing to PAY to talk to the next level of tech support then their was noting
they could do to help me,

So now we only have internet on our hardline PC and even though we have a comcast
wireless router/ modem we can not connect to our home network with any wireless
device ie: printer, phone, game console, and smart TV device

Comcast is the ONLY option in this area and I am so disgusted with the service that I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I urge other dissatisfied customers to do the same.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

Re: Comcast Wireless Internet problems & Arris TG862 issues

The TG862 gateway is a poor performer. The modem and phone functions seem OK, but the wireless signal is weak and unreliable, and customers have encountered all sorts of odd problems with the routing functions and with secure ("https"/SSL) sites . Comcast admits some of this at http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/device.php?tier=-1&devid=320&e=0&d3=0&s=&so=&sc=623.

You can bypass these problems by calling Comcast and having them put the gateway into bridge mode. There is no charge for this except for the time you invest, although customer service will sometimes try to switch you to Signature Support to do it.

Bridge mode disables the wireless router but allows the modem and phone service functions to continue operating. If the rep you talk to doesn't know how to do it, help them out by directing them to http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Complete-Bridge-Mode-on-Arris-devices-Accur.... Once bridged, add your own wireless router to restore WiFi service and multiple Ethernet ports.

Or have Comcast replace the gateway with a straight cable modem if you don't have Comcast's phone service, or with a straight eMTA if you do. Then add your own wireless router.

Better yet, if you don't have Comcast's phone service, buy your own modem and router and say goodbye to Comcast's flaky gateways.

Visitor

I also got a new Arris TG682 replacing a netgear wireless router because Comcast says my old Comcast modem was not giving me top internet peformance.  The netgear box can transmit to anywhere on our property with no problem.  However the Arris cannot transmit more that 100 feet.  We tested the reception using our cell phones on wifi setting and can see the poor reception we get as we walk father away from the modem.  Support suggests swapping out the Modem, but I am afraid I will get another Arris.  They first attempted to reset the modem, then said I should play with the settings.  Neither of those options work.  I refuse to pay for signature support since the old netgear box outperforms the Arris box.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

You can have the Arris placed into 'Bridged Mode' by tech support and hook up the Netgear as your router.  If it's Wireless-N and not broken in any way, it won't bottleneck the connection any unless you have speed faster than 50Mbps hardwired.

Visitor

Thanks, I considered that when I first read up on the problem.  Somehow it sounds backwards, to go back to my old router because the new comcast box cannot perform adequately.

Visitor

Well Xfinity support suggested returning the Arris for another one.  I had low expectations, and was rewarded with the same crappy wireless performance with a brand new box.  Looks like Bridge mode is next on my list. 

Regular Contributor

rtsuno wrote:

Well Xfinity support suggested returning the Arris for another one.  I had low expectations, and was rewarded with the same crappy wireless performance with a brand new box.  Looks like Bridge mode is next on my list. 

I recently received the Arris box and got a huge firmware update when she went to provision it. My understanding is the new firmware addresses some of the wireless problems.

Connection Expert
EG

Survine wrote:
My understanding is the new firmware addresses some of the wireless problems.

FWIW, haven't really seen that much here about how great the latest firmware is. Still seeing much of the same type of complaints. Firmware / software can't really make up for hardware deficiencies.

New Visitor
BUSMAN54

[ Edited ]

I've had this very same issue with my wireless setup. Like others they test my Arris TG862 and found that it was bad so I went to the local office and they gave me another Arris TG862 that worked fine for about two weeks and then started doing the same thing as the other one. What is happening with mine is as long as I have my laptop on my other devises can log on, my DVD player, iphone and xbox. But about 10 minutes after I turn off my laptop all of my other devises get kicked off until I turn my laptop back on. I had to connect my old wireless route up to there peace of junk to get around this issue.

Connection Expert
EG

BUSMAN54 wrote:

I had to connect my old wireless route up to there peace of junk to get around this issue.

Did you have them put the Arris in to bridge mode ? If not, you've got undesirable double NAT.

New Visitor
BUSMAN54

No I just picked up the new wireless router and connceted it to the power and cable and called the number they gave me to have it activated and it worked fine for a few weeks and then started kicking off my other devises again like the first one so like the first time I got out my old router and connected it, and that is how it is working now. I don't know what a double nat is. I can't understand why these two new wireless units that where working right at the start would just start kicking off my other devises every time I turn off my laptop and not let them reconnect until I turn my laptop on again.

Connection Expert
EG

BUSMAN54 wrote:

I don't know what a double nat is. 

Google is your friend ! :smileywink:

https://www.google.com/search?q=double+nat&rlz=1C1CHHJ_enUS383&oq=double+nat&aqs=chrome..69i57.6882j...

New Visitor
yatesjdy

Having the same issue here with Arris tg862 upgrade.  Terrible reliability.  No clear pattern to failure.  I have confirmed also that not only the wireless is failing, but direct connect to the modem also fails.  Have not tried bridge mode... that is next.

Can anyone confirm that bridge mode definitely solves the problem? (assuming I add my own modem?)

Thanks!

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

It seems to perform well when bridged as a straight cable modem. Perhaps you have an RF signal / connection quality with Comcast issue.

New Visitor
adidas303

So what would cause the Arris TG862 to allow only WIFI, and not allow any other Wired ( ethernet) connections? it took Comcast three days and sending out a Tech to get just the Wifi working. The tech didn't even stick around to check on the Ethernet side of the modem and connections to a desktop, make sure those worked. Now anything that I would want to be wired on the network can't even connect to the network, let alone the internet. Anyone else have this problem? Seen another post similiar to this one? It seems these Modem/routers version are very very shotty, and if I can't get any answers to fix this problem, I guess ill have to return the rented hardware, buy my own straight Ethernet modem, also buy a router if I may want to use wifi. Brand new customer, brand new hardware they gave me, nothing works right out of the box, nor with a someone FROM Comcast coming to "fix" the supposed problem, I guess the company wants me to look elsewhere for service?

New Visitor
GregorySu

Ethernet on my Arris TG862G also does not work, at all.  Nothing plugged into the ethernet ports (any of the 4) will work unless I cold boot the router, then they will work for a while.

I think I have found a reason.  If you go to the router's https server you'll see a status page: https://10.0.0.1

Down at the bottom, all of my Ethernet MAC addresses are exactly the same.  This would cause layer 2 connectivity problems, which is consistent with the issues I've seen with the modem.  Here's a paste from my status page (I altered the addresses from real ones).  I don't know what to do about this, since I can't chang the MAC addresses the only thing that would work is a firmware upgrade.

Interface Name Provisioned State Speed (Mbps) MAC address

LAN Port 1 Enabled Up 1000(Full) 0C:1A:93:23:EA:A1

LAN Port 2 Enabled Down ----- 0C:1A:93:23:EA:A1

LAN Port 3 Enabled Down ----- 0C:1A:93:23:EA:A1

LAN Port 4 Enabled Down ----- 0C:1A:93:23:EA:A1

New Visitor
GregorySu

Ok well, that was not the problem.  There was clearly a layer 2 issue, since I could see ongoing ping sessions work on and off in bursts without changing anything. 

I ended up unplugging everything and resetting the Arris cable modem to factory defaults.  I mean unplug Everything.  Reconfigure the modem if you need to. Then plug back in your network connections one by one.  Then finally plug in any switches or wireless access points. 

The Arris likes to use the entire network for DHCP, which is no good if you have printers or other things that need a permanant IP address.   So I reserve at least 20 for manual IP.