Visitor

Comcast software download via Wireless Connection

We recently moved to a new home and had comcast move services.  Now it seems that comast upgraded something on my base computer where IE is Comcast.   I've set up my wireless router all the same as before.  When we use our laptops to access the internet via wireless, we go straight to a Comcast screen prompting to download software instead of going to IE.  Problem is these are our working laptops,  and can not download comcast software due to our company policy.  Is there a way around this download?
Regular Problem Solver
SpokaneScott

Re: Comcast software download via Wireless Connection

Will it even let you go to like google.com? and set your 'homepage' something other then what its going to.... Try 'rebooting' your network. Shut everything down, your router, cable modem, etc. Power up your cable modem, wait a min or two. then bootup your router.. You dont need comcast software on your main computer. Go to add/remove programs and uninstall everything comcast.

Scott
Connection Expert
EG

jdroste wrote:
We recently moved to a new home and had comcast move services.  Now it seems that comast upgraded something on my base computer where IE is Comcast.   I've set up my wireless router all the same as before.  When we use our laptops to access the internet via wireless, we go straight to a Comcast screen prompting to download software instead of going to IE.  Problem is these are our working laptops,  and can not download comcast software due to our company policy.  Is there a way around this download?

Sounds like you are stuck in their "Walled Garden" registration page.

This will likely require a phone call to tech support to straighten out your account.
Visitor

Yes, I've booted and rebooted and then booted some more.  The issue is not about getting connectivity to the wireless, its about comcast.  Example.   Boot up laptap,  connect to the wireless router,  double click on Internet Explorer which opens and am taken directly to a comcast site telling me to download.  My default webpage is suppose to take me to yahoo.  It wont let me go to anything ie.. google, yahoo, msn, nothing but that comcast page. 
Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]
That page is the result of a deliberate DNS re-direct. You need to call.

Message Edited by EG on 08-21-2007 11:36 PM
Visitor

I made the call,  they informed me to

open network connections
Wireless Network
Support tab
and click Repair

Will try this in the AM and see if it works. will update you tomorrow.  Thanks again
Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]
It's possible that their DNS resolver caches have a bad entry.

When you say your "base computer", are you referring to one that is wired to the router via an ethernet cable ? And are you saying that that browser has the Comcast branding, but that it can navigate the web normally, or does it also have the same issue ?

Message Edited by EG on 08-22-2007 12:07 AM