Contributor
cabby77

Computer does not have wireless capability

We currently have a desktop PC that does not have wireless capabilities.  I was wondering if there is a specific wireless card/adapter that Comcast recommends to make the transition to wireless easier.  Not sure if this helps, but we're running Windows XP and it's a Dell PC.  Thanks for any advice.

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Computer does not have wireless capability

This has nothing to do with Comcast, it purely between your computer and your wireless router.  What router do you have, exactly?  There are lots of wireless adapters.  I prefere the PCI internal variety, but for some reason, the industry is heading in the USB direction, there are tons of USB wireless adapters for most needs, from very inexpensive wireless G and N to more expensive and faster models designed for heavier loads.

Is your computer old?  What version of USB does it have?  I don't recommend USB wireless adapters for v1 USB ports.  If you have v2 USB, then most of the adapters from namebrands will work.  If you computer has empty PCI or PCIe slots, there are still wireless cards that work very well.

So tell us what router, what type of USB, if you ahve PCI or PCIe slots, and what you will be doing over wireless...

Contributor
cabby77

Hi Baric.  Thanks for replying to my question.  We have a Dell Vostro 200.  It's a few years old.  There 6 (4 front, 2 back) 2.0 USB outlets.  I am unable to locate PCl or PCle slots on the CPU.  We have the Netgear N150 Wireless Router (WNR1000v2) provided by Comcast.  The wireless is for home use (browsing online, multimedia streaming, downloading music/video, etc.).

Not sure if any of that helps, but that's what I have available.

Networking Expert
Baric

See your User's Manul, page 105 and 115.  Depending on what options you bought with this system, some of these slots may be occupied, but in a base config you have one PCIe x16, one PCIe x1, and 2 PCI slots you can use.  Check your actual system to see which, if any is occupied.

Newegg has lots of choices, as does Amazon, etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=31&name=Wireless-Adapters

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wireless+adapter&x=0&y=...

I'd personally stick with the PCI or PCIe adapters (I've had lots of bad experiences with USB adapters in the past), but the new crop of USB adapters probably work as well these days, and they are easier to install.  Stick with a major brand like Netgear, Linksys, D-Link, etc.